Jungle Carpet for a first timer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
I've always wanted a Jungle Carpet Python ... but don't know if its a good idea to start with one, I know they can be very snappy as hatchlings.

Do they grow into a large snake?
Do they grow out of being snappy?
Are they good feeders?
Do they like it hot or cold?

What do you guys think, would like to hear your opinions. :D

I got a jungle as my first. I haven't had experience with many snakes, but this one is supposed to be snappy. But I reckon it's more of you knowing how to handle it and read its mood, and it being comfortable and feeling safe than its temperament. After 2 weeks of getting bitten, I tried easing into it by letting it come to me from a hook and slowly letting it get used to me, and I haven't been bitten for a month or so now. Sure, it gets defensive if you try to pick it up in the enclosure, but other than that, it's had been a perfect little boy.

We are relatively new to snakes, but my wife fell in love with a Cape York Jungle at SOFAR Expo. After I reinforced to her why they call them 'chainsaws' she proceeded to buy it, declaring she will love it and look after it regardless!

Thankfully it has turned out thus far to be a lovely snake - yes a little spirited and definitely more aware of whats going on around her than our other snakes, but other than 3 tags and 4 or 5 head butts during its first handling session, it has been fine since.

We are gentle handlers, some people aren't - if you were not a gentle handler I am sure she would be more aggressive, but for us she has calmed down beautifully. We have been told that Cape York Jungles are not as spirited as black and gold specimens.....I don't have the experience to know either way.

We are believers in snakes being a reflection of their environment - we handle softly and gently and have 3 very calm and placid snakes. I can only talk from our own experiences.

As for Jungles feeding....our Cape York is a pig, took her first fuzzy 3 days after coming home, and will smash anything we put near her. We are feeding slightly more often than we would normally at the moment but will be stretching that back out to normal very soon. She is not a shy eater. I have been told they are hard to get onto rats......I still have this bridge to cross.

Temp wise, mine gets the same temps as my Rainforest Diamond and Spotted (they are all young snakes) but I may reconsider as they get older. These temps certainly are not worrying any of my snakes at the moment.

I've always wanted a Jungle Carpet Python ... but don't know if its a good idea to start with one, I know they can be very snappy as hatchlings.

Do they grow into a large snake? Different localities get to different sizes. They can be anywhere from 4'-6'
Do they grow out of being snappy? Most do, some don't. It depends on the individual and how willing you are to get bitten while "training" it.
Are they good feeders? Generally, snappiness translates to good feeding. The easiest thing to do is get one from a breeder with feeding records showing that it hasn't had any issues
Do they like it hot or cold? Temperature is pretty similar to other Carpets but they do benefit from slightly higher humidity, especially around shedding.

What do you guys think, would like to hear your opinions. :D

My first reptile was a Jungle and I love him to bits. I'm pretty much the only person who can hold him and he still has bad days where even I'm not allowed but I also only really handle him for cleaning etc.
If you've always wanted one, then go for it. Don't let others' opinions change your mind.

My first reptile was a Jungle and I love him to bits. I'm pretty much the only person who can hold him and he still has bad days where even I'm not allowed but I also only really handle him for cleaning etc.
If you've always wanted one, then go for it. Don't let others' opinions change your mind.

agree with Sax.
The only people who will tell you not to get one for you first snake are the people who got Anteresia as their first snakes cause they were not willing to jump in with carpets. I got a carpet for my first snake and loved it, despite getting tagged quite a bit at the start. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also got a jungle python as my first snake and have had him for around 2 months. I did as lazerboyz said and hooked him out of his click clack an allowed him to move to my hand. I've only been tagged once and hardly noticed it. I can now pick him up from his enclosure without a hook after I let his have a sniff of my hand.
I asked the breeder for one with a good temperament over looks but I think I got both which is awesome.
I got an atherton jungle which generally are larger than there Palmerston etc cousins, apparently growing to just over the 2m mark.
My cold end sits around 24-26 degrees, my warm end around 29-30 and my floor temp where the heatmat is, running on thermostat is 34 degrees and I don't have any problems with feeding, shedding etc.

I'm 12 years old and have 3 jungles, one was my first snake and is also my tamest. They are great snakes and none of mine bite. They kind of grow out of it with handling.

I got a jungle as my first also and couldn't be happier. He is now 3 years old and my most trustworthy when it comes to letting others hold him. Each snake is different some will never calm down to the same extent as others. It all comes down to how much time your willing to put into them. I got tagged by my boy all the time but just persisted. I was going to go with a childrens to begin with until i seen a jungle. I agree, if it's what you want then just do your research and go for it. They are bloody good eaters too.

I bought my second python couple weeks ago which is a jungle he's great only bitten me 4 times and that's when I first got him. With some handling he's so placid . Also I'll add he's a hatchling about 5 months old but I reckon he's going to grow up to be a great python to handle .

JUngle was my second....the most un-nippiest snake! :p

Go for it. You want it, you get. Like Sax said don't let others change your opinion :) (Unless you want a lacie as a first lizard/monitor. Then listen to others ;))

My Bredli hatchling was way worse than any jungle hatching I've seen. It just comes down to how to handle it.

If you're scared of getting bitten and your flinching and moving your hand around, the snake will get defensive and bite you. If you're confident and you go straight in and pick it up, you may cop some bites at the start, but they (usually) realise that biting gets them no where and they calm down after a while.

If they snake feels safe and calm, it will have no reason to bite.

I got a jungle as my second snake, the guy who was selling him hardly handled him and wanted him to go(3 yrs old and 110cm), so i got him home and spend time looking at how he behaved then i started handling(about a week or 2 of getting small bites) and before I knew it he was a great handler and feeder now he is 4 1/2 yrs old and 145cm
they make great first snakes
what hama said is great advice(aswell as all the other advices)

Haha, I'n 12 too, and my first and only snake is a jungle. He's not snappy at all. Love these snakes.

Awesome thanks so much guys, I'm going to get my reptile licence and get a hatchling Jungle Carpet. :) is it better to buy one from a pet shop or a private breeder?

Awesome thanks so much guys, I'm going to get my reptile licence and get a hatchling Jungle Carpet. :) is it better to buy one from a pet shop or a private breeder?
Private breeder. Cheaper and will usually help you out if you have issues.

Thanks Zeusy. Do you know any good Jungle Carpet breeders? :)

Just search the for sale section on this site and your sure to find a good breeder in your area.

i have 2, very different personalities, 1's a biter. But as the posts said above, just learn their mannerisms. If they are upset just dont hold them for long

Black & Gold Jungle

I have an absolutely beautiful B&G jungle. She is very high in color & was very snappy as a hatchy. If you persist with gentle handling they will calm down. Still don't find her as relaxed as some of my other morelia's. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back