Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot if what I was going to say has already being said. These
animals are worth what people will pay for them. It is difficult to compare prices with different countries because of the amount and variety available to those different countries.

In the US there is a lot of mixed locality GTP around, as they breed large quantities and widely available. Whereas Australia there is limited stock and aren't widely available. As Red-Ink said if we were to import a lot of GTP like what the US has done we too could get mix locale pythons for $400ish.

In comparison, here Darwins are breed in huge quanties and are widely available. Normals sell for under $200 and albinos sell for $800 or less. They are worth considerably more in the US.

I wholeheartedly believe in quality over quantity. If I truly want something I will happily save until I can afford it. I would rather have a little or what I love than a lot of what I don't. And as long as others are happy to pay the asking price for these animals I don't see the price dropping any time soon.

How did it get so nasty so quickly? After volunteering with RSPCA and working with other shelters, I can say that I belive there is a correlation between the price of a pet and the amount of care it gets. Obviously not all the time and the majority of the time people genuinely care for their animals regardless of the cost. But most the animals that are abuses, neglected or abandoned were animals that cost the owners less. For example the majority of horses that were reported to RSPCA were thoroughbreds who were either give free off the track or sold for a couple of hundred.

Similarly, there were very few purebreed cats surrendered or seized. With dogs the majority of purebres were those readily available and that cost very little eg. Cattle dogs, kelpies, Staffys.

This is not to say that cost and value go hand and hand as cost refers to money but value refers to a mindset.

Once in a while I see something that makes me nostalgic for the days before the internet...

Come on people, don't need to get into a flame war and bring forth personal messages that have been sent. I don't know if the Sorongs that were being sold for $800 were pure Sorongs or not. They looked the part, but, as stated, with the variation these days it can be hard to tell. I'm holding out for a pair of Biaks when I have the correct license and would love if they were cheaper, but am not fussed if they aren't, as it just means I need to save for longer.

Also to the person who made a derogatory remark towards people on centrelink (can't be bothered going back to check), some people, definitely not saying all, have a legitimate reason to be on centrelink.

I think it is only common sense that they will continue dropping in price. There is no chance that GTPs will maintain steady @ $1000 for 10 years.

Also to the person who made a derogatory remark towards people on centrelink (can't be bothered going back to check), some people, definitely not saying all, have a legitimate reason to be on centrelink.

Thats not what I said. I have nothing against people that actually need it.

I bought my first chondros when I was 18 and they cost more than they do now. Explain to me why almost 4 years on I should be called a greedy breeder (or any breeder with high end animals) because not everyone can afford them, jealousy is not going to change the price.

A marbled childrens python is probably no harder to breed than a normal childrens python. Does that mean they should be $200 each and the owner is greedy? Any colour morph is essentially the same.

It goes both ways, everyone always knocks people selling desirable snakes but no one ever jumps up and says 'wow they're really cool, I'd like some however I can't afford them' its always 'they're overpriced' or some form of 'when will the price come down' and a brief explanation of why it should/must/will.

What is it about this forum that makes us take a friendly discussion of american and australian prices for a beautiful animal and cave our heads in over it. People's opionions may vary, but to belittle one another for each other's opinion is plain childish. As far as price is concerned who are we to label a seller as "greedy" when what is for sale is truly unique and highly sought after? I think it has come to a shocking point where we cannot appreciate the uniqueness of something like green tree pythons because of their price tag. Obviously i do not intend to offend anyone here and apologize if i did, but that is my opinion....

@ No-two: 100% agree with your statement, and for the record no, i cannot afford or own "high-end" animals, however I'm more than happy with what i have and wouldn't replace any of them with another snake no matter the "gain" of the transaction.... that said I most certainly have been wistfully looking at all the GTP pics on this forum, but my time will come, eventually :), but then who hasn't

As to your previous comment, where you said that you understand about breeding snakes, surely you would understand why more difficult to breed snakes fetch a higher price ? If they went as easily as any other morelia perhaps the price would be lower.
Perhaps you should try risking an investment of your own in a breeding pair and sell your GTP hatchlings for the price you feel reasonable ?
At the end of the day, if you don't agree with the price of something, don't buy it, and don't complain about it. Or move to America.

Last edited by a moderator:
$1000 is nothing compared to 15 years ago

Then a nice female was about $15,000

Of course the price will drop more eventually
But that is just market influences

I bought my first chondros when I was 18 and they cost more than they do now. Explain to me why almost 4 years on I should be called a greedy breeder (or any breeder with high end animals) because not everyone can afford them, jealousy is not going to change the price.

I don't know if you were aiming that comment at me. I just want to state that I haven't called anyone greedy, just in case you interpreted anything I said as coming off like that. I honestly feel they are a fair price and as time goes on prices will drop, but that's to be expected.

Or move to America.

On another note, wouldn't be cool if you could live in both Australia and America, having two separate collections. Then I'd definitely put my dual citizenship to use. Though would probably need an insane amount of money to continually cross between the two countries. I'll stop there as I am going a bit off topic lol.

Lol are you two mates are ya? I simply stated that if no two wants to jump on a band wagon, take my coments out of context and "behave childish" ie centrelink payments then he can expect to receive the same. It would also seem you would rather shoot someone down then engage them in conversation about their opinion. I hate to bring a thread into disrepute, however I will not be spoken down to for having an opinion. So then omgitschris, simple economics will dictate that new mutations will demand a higher price at the beginning for numerous reasons. Once they are in steady enough supply tho why do you think they should maintain a higher price tag? As I stated earlier its because everyone at the end of the day it is chasing the all might dolla. I wrote very briefly about the monopoly that some organisations hold, perhaps you should think about what I ment about that aswell before you resort to "childish behaviour" in the guise of a well constructed paragraph, ie don't buy it don't complain or move to America.

I'm glad you appreciate a well structured paragraph.
What are you basing your views on in regards to the money chasing ?
And who should dictate when there is a steady supply, yourself, or the seller. Perhaps a red book for snakes ?
Sinple economics would also dictate that the price would only come down if the quality of an animal were matched and had a cheaper price tag. That's a big step for a breeder who has invested a lot of time and money in breeding a prized mutation to flog them off at a cheaper price to appease the general public.
If every seller was as generous as you are proposing maybe you might see me driving an Aston Martin vanquish.
Although Aston Martin Lagonda Limited probably wouldn't bother producing said vanquish if they were making a loss on their product.
You need to recognize more goes into establishing a mutation, line, morph or species than buying a pair and throwing them together and hoping for the best.
Livestock dies occasionally, they're taking the risk, you're not.
You are only purchasing an animal surplus to their needs, it's their option to sell it for what ever price they deem reasonable. You can't control that, and they don't (shouldn't) force you to buy it. What's the issue ?

I actually apreaciate a reply with thought, points made and examples, which you just provided so thank you, as opposed to off topic, unnecessary insults. It's late I'm tired and everything has deriveded from the original points that I'm having trouble keeping up with. I think my main point origionally was the attitude that I've seen over the years in threads is that it seems alot of breeders offer no real argument as to why an animals price should come down when said certain morph is been bred in large numbers by a large amount of people for a few years. I am talking about after theyve been first made available and after the initial craze. I did also say originally this was a general conception of mine and definitely not conclusive of all breeders. I very lightly touched on the monopoly some larger facilities hold and play in regards to obtaining new morphs etc but don't wish to discuss it openly to much on this site, I did however make the assumption that atleast a few people would get what I ment with that.
To conclude tho I was playing abit of devils advocate and expressing my beleifs on some of the attitudes I've noticed over the years in retaining a stronghold on the market when it comes to price on animals that are been breed in large enough numbers, which I believe was what the op was getting to. I understand economics and all that and your above points are right in regards to your Aston Martin lol. I'm sure alot of this could of been avoided if opinions were discussed origionally, as is half the basis of this forum.

Last edited:
l posted on this thread as IMO the price comparison between Australia and America was taken completely out of text and one very small point highlighted, but gee wizz this personal mud slinging is a bit much l believe. At the end of the day a reptile is worth what two people agree on NOW if you wake up in the morning and everybody likes/loves the same thing it would be a boring world.......just saying solar 17 Baden :)

I like the market analysis and fiscal predictions put forward here by economic experts and comments from people who obviously bred hundreds of chondros. Interesting reading.

Michael

Last edited:
To those who bleat about the price of GTPs... try spending literally hundreds of hours with a couple of clutches (maybe 50 animals) of difficult starters, to get them ready to sell to people who may well kill them in their first week. Not all clutches are difficult, but some are pains in the butt, and you can put in 3-5 hours a night for weeks getting them going. The newbies who think everything is easy because they just buy what comes out at the end of it are the main offenders. I have 2 GTPS here which I have had for 6-7 years now, and cost me $15000 for the two. I'd be lucky to get $5000 for them now, even though they are now a proven pair.

I'm certainly not complaining about that - I love the species so to a large extent cost is immaterial (my wife isn't home while I type this!), but as others have said, price simply reflects the market. GTPs have dropped from $7k a baby to $800-$1200 a baby in about 5 years... how much faster do you want prices to crash just so a newbie can get his/her hands on an elite (in my opinion) snake on the day their licence arrives?

Jamie

I like the market analysis and fiscal predictions put forward here by economic experts and comments from people who obviously bred hundreds of chondros. Interesting reading.

Michael
I understand what you are saying but do you really think someone should not have an opinion unless they are an expert? This thread kept me up reading it last night as well.

To those who bleat about the price of GTPs... try spending literally hundreds of hours with a couple of clutches (maybe 50 animals) of difficult starters, to get them ready to sell to people who may well kill them in their first week. Not all clutches are difficult, but some are pains in the butt, and you can put in 3-5 hours a night for weeks getting them going. The newbies who think everything is easy because they just buy what comes out at the end of it are the main offenders. I have 2 GTPS here which I have had for 6-7 years now, and cost me $15000 for the two. I'd be lucky to get $5000 for them now, even though they are now a proven pair.

I'm certainly not complaining about that - I love the species so to a large extent cost is immaterial (my wife isn't home while I type this!), but as others have said, price simply reflects the market. GTPs have dropped from $7k a baby to $800-$1200 a baby in about 5 years... how much faster do you want prices to crash just so a newbie can get his/her hands on an elite (in my opinion) snake on the day their licence arrives?

Jamie
I have no idea on the keeping of GTP's or the raising of their clutches but if you are right and I would imagine you would be it is this fact that will limit the number of breeders and therefore keep the prices from dropping.

Jamie is dead right Andy, trust me, hence my sarcastic comment. Everybody can have an opinion but only some qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back