Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GTPs... the only snake species whose "bible" got a sequel. That's got to say something about their ease of care doesn't it?

They're the worst feeding hatchies to get going that I've ever bred.

When we were looking into other markets - US/UK, the US market for reptiles is roughly $1.5b US and the UK was $900m US (I think). We couldn't find exact figures in Australia but we estimated roughly $15-20m AUD. The US/UK have the market power to drive prices down. Sell the same product for less and make less margin can make you more money than selling less for a higher margin. Depends on the item and the demand.

You can't expect the same price as a different set of circumstances. If you want the lower price you have to move to said country. But is that really worth the $600 difference ;)

Added:
Following on what others have mentioned about "breeders sell expensive reptiles they must be making a lot of money". You simply do not pick a number from a hat for your price. What goes into it is costs. There are tangible costs and non-tangible costs. Tangible being real, things you can touch, so mice/rats for feeding, enclosure expenses, cleaning, power costs, everything involving the upbringing of that animal (and the costs involved with the upbringing of the parents). Non-tangible being wages/labour. Most of the time I would figure that the breeders are solely ran, so they have to factor in what their time is worth. Generally what you feel you are comfortable with getting per hour. Some people feel they are worth $300 an hour, some, $20 an hour - it depends on how much you feel your expertise is worth (this is mainly a factor in service fields - tradies, consultants, etc).

A GTP hatchling might be $1500 but the breeder might be making $300 in the end. Maybe more, maybe less. If it was $300, they would effectively have to make 4 sales before that profit allowed them to break even on the 5th. So every 4 sales allowed them to expand on 1. But they may only sell 3 a season so it would be 2 seasons before they made an expansion on sales. But this is only possible if there are 4 people next season who want to purchase. Don't take this as pure data on sales, they probably sell more, but take it for what it represents. Prices may be high, but that doesn't mean they are swimming in pools of money.

Australia is a difficult marketplace, especially for niche markets, myself and a lot of business have many struggles but our determination is what keeps us alive :)

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing to do with price but just interested in gtp do you need a international animals add on your recreational licence to purchase a qtp?

When we were looking into other markets - US/UK, the US market for reptiles is roughly $1.5b US and the UK was $900m US (I think). We couldn't find exact figures in Australia but we estimated roughly $15-20m AUD. The US/UK have the market power to drive prices down. Sell the same product for less and make less margin can make you more money than selling less for a higher margin. Depends on the item and the demand.

You can't expect the same price as a different set of circumstances. If you want the lower price you have to move to said country. But is that really worth the $600 difference ;)

Added:
Following on what others have mentioned about "breeders sell expensive reptiles they must be making a lot of money". You simply do not pick a number from a hat for your price. What goes into it is costs. There are tangible costs and non-tangible costs. Tangible being real, things you can touch, so mice/rats for feeding, enclosure expenses, cleaning, power costs, everything involving the upbringing of that animal (and the costs involved with the upbringing of the parents). Non-tangible being wages/labour. Most of the time I would figure that the breeders are solely ran, so they have to factor in what their time is worth. Generally what you feel you are comfortable with getting per hour. Some people feel they are worth $300 an hour, some, $20 an hour - it depends on how much you feel your expertise is worth (this is mainly a factor in service fields - tradies, consultants, etc).

A GTP hatchling might be $1500 but the breeder might be making $300 in the end. Maybe more, maybe less. If it was $300, they would effectively have to make 4 sales before that profit allowed them to break even on the 5th. So every 4 sales allowed them to expand on 1. But they may only sell 3 a season so it would be 2 seasons before they made an expansion on sales. But this is only possible if there are 4 people next season who want to purchase. Don't take this as pure data on sales, they probably sell more, but take it for what it represents. Prices may be high, but that doesn't mean they are swimming in pools of money.

Australia is a difficult marketplace, especially for niche markets, myself and a lot of business have many struggles but our determination is what keeps us alive :)

The reason GTPs are cheap in the USA is not about the larger market place really, they import from indonesia and other places legally.
They are reportedly farm bred ,most are just wild collected and laundered in various ways as being captive bred.
Check out places like amazon and there is loads of farmed imports being sold ,it has an effect of crashing prices generally.

nothing to do with price but just interested in gtp do you need a international animals add on your recreational licence to purchase a qtp?

If you can't prove that it's a native then yes.

Wow, wow, wow

Considering it has just taken me nearly 5 months to get the last of my GTP hatchies to feed consistently on their own....and you want me to sell it for $200? $400?

I had absolutely no problem selling our hatchies with proven bloodlines for $1,500 ea the season just gone. The person who purchased that last one? also is on a low income and took 6mths to pay it off. But I guess that makes me a greedy breeder? Lol you stay up until 2am in the morning spending hours getting your breeders fed and then hatchies feeding and then get up at 5am and start your day all over again. Better yet, you come and work my hours for me getting everything done and I'll pay you $200 a hatchie as I sell them ;)

If you want the American pricing then perhaps the American mentality of alot of breeders can come with it....breed a crapload of cheap snakes and the ones that are hard simply die. Mix your bloodlines and sell the ones you dont kill off because they are to hard to get feeding as GTPs with no locale attached for $500.

Personally I will be keeping my pure lines pure and already have a waiting list for this seasons hatchies at the same prices as last year...I agree with the others that said it. Good quality animals will always demand higher pricing and a breeders reputation will allow that to happen. People like Michael Cermak will never be stuck with their good quality animals because Joe down the road has a clutch of unknown origins for half the price, people will pay extra simply for the fact they are Cermak animals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back