Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misso12345

Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering what you think about this? Should I feed my new woma in or out of the enclosure in a separate tub, he is 18 months old, thanks let me know what you think.

I feed my Woma in his enclosure. He has never mistaken handling for feeding as yet. I just place some paper towel in there so the rat doesn't touch the substrate. I don't like the idea of having to move him after he has fed. You will get a lot of different opinions though and i guess the best advice is to find a system that works best for you and your snake :)

I know a lot of people say that you should remove the snake and feed in a separate container.
I however feed both my snakes in their inclosures, always have, and have never had a problem with being mistaken for food when going into handle them.

Just my 2c.
Cheers

Pythons have a very acute sense smell,they know when food is on the way well before they see it.Total waste of time and trouble using a feeding tub.

I don't know if this will help coz my woma is only a hatchie, but I hold him in one hand then hold the rat in tongs in front of him and then put him in his enclosure once he's grabbed it. The next rat is held in front of his face as he finishes the last one.

I don't know if this will help coz my woma is only a hatchie, but I hold him in one hand then hold the rat in tongs in front of him and then put him in his enclosure once he's grabbed it. The next rat is held in front of his face as he finishes the last one.
No need to hold it at all during feeding,great way to cop a bite.

I've never been bitten (touch wood) and was only offering a different option. After a lot (and I mean a lot!) of trial and error with feeding both in tank and in a separate one I found this works best for both Steve and I.

I've never been bitten (touch wood) and was only offering a different option. After a lot (and I mean a lot!) of trial and error with feeding both in tank and in a separate one I found this works best for both Steve and I.

I can guarantee you that holding a python while trying to feed it will result in a nasty food response bite at some stage.Feeding it in it's tank is by far the easiest,simplest and safest way to go.Why would holding it in one hand while offering it food with the other hand work best?

Another potential hazard besides possibly being bitten is your snake may strike at the food and miss sending it falling from your hand.

Because Steve and I have a great relationship?

I feed him with tongs. They're about 30cm long. No risk of being bitten.

He is also always with me, and only in his tank when I'm sleeping, at work, or for the couple of days after a feed.

Like I said, a lot of trial and error with feeding in tank and out of and I've found this works best.

I fed him yesterday but next week I'll be sure to get a video for you.

Thanks everyone for the replies, when you guys feed in the cage, how can you make sure the snake doesn't digest any substrate?

I feed both my womas in their enclosures. I also use coir peat or kritters krumble. All I do is make sure the food item is dry before I feed it to my pythons. That way substrate won't stick to it.

I defrost the rat in water then use a paper towel to dry some of the water and then warm it up with a hair dryer.

HA, mine is the biggest puppy out but feed time she strikes with so much force i would not be game to feed her out side then attempt to return her to cage as in her mind she always looks for seconds :) and having a 2kg python hanging on to you isnt a good look i want to try.
I have never had an issue putting my hand inside her enclosure at any stage to pic her up or clean so no way has feeding her inside enclosure made her reactive in it.
mine is on newspaper so no issue at all

Last edited:
This is my woma a bit over a year ago when he was hungry and coming up to shed , I got him out to clean and he slowly open his mouth and moved onto the end of my finger for a snack and then wrapped nice and tight.

Attachments

• 2012-09-01_09-37-43_623.jpg
    2012-09-01_09-37-43_623.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 156
Because Steve and I have a great relationship?

I feed him with tongs. They're about 30cm long. No risk of being bitten.

He is also always with me, and only in his tank when I'm sleeping, at work, or for the couple of days after a feed.

Like I said, a lot of trial and error with feeding in tank and out of and I've found this works best.

I fed him yesterday but next week I'll be sure to get a video for you.

You've have only owned a python for what,2 months? So around 8 feeds in total yet feel qualified to offer advice.Again at some point in time grabbing a python while food is close by will guarantee that at some stage you will get smashed by the snake.

I didn't mean to step on any toes, just thought I'd offer my point of view.

Never tried to sound like an expert, I'm very much still a newbie.

Sorry if I offended you. I very much agree that one day I will get bitten.

Oh and just one other question, I am located in Melbourne and I was wondering if I should turn my heat down at night for my woma?

Some people do and some people don't. I personally cool all of my snakes for the first winter past 12 months of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back