Snake sitter / carer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie-anne

Reaction score
This won't be needed until Jan/Feb next year, but i was just wondering if anybody out there would be interested in caring for my herps for approx 4 weeks early next year while I'm in India.

Currently i have a yearling and hatchie coastal carpet python (by next year they'll be 2yrs and 1yr)

I will provide all food and equip (substrate, furnitiure etc) needed (although they will probly not be in their usual enclosure as this will be too hard to transfer, most likely in large click clack type containers with heat mats)

Anyone in Sydney South West (Ingleburn and surrounding suburbs) or Illawarra (Coledale and surrounding suburbs) area. Preferrably with herp exp but no current pythons (to protect all involved)

PM me if your interested :D

I'm not sure if this would be considered legal? As the reptiles would be in another persons house, and they wouldn't be on that persons licence and would be considered as illegally kept.

Do you have any family members, or close friends who can look after your animals? If you gave both animals a decent feed, and had someone that could change their water, I'm sure that they'd be ok for the 4 weeks?

would NPWS prefer they die or get sick?

If they consider it illegal than it would be just as illegal to take it to another family members house (esp ones that have absolutley no herp experience)

I don't mind sending an e mail to NPWS explaining what / why i'm doing it. I would feel much better knowing that someone, who knows what they're doing, is looking after them while i'm away (even if thats only for 4 weeks)

If you care that much about your animals, and don't want them to get sick etc. Then why are you leaving the country.............................

I wasn't being rude, i just said that i would prefer someone look after them than leave them for 4 weeks like you suggested.

There are many people on this site that curently don't own any pythons and i thought this would be the best place to start looking. If you can't help me thats ok, no need to flood the thread with comments.

I didn't suggest that you leave them for 4 weeks.. I suggest that you gave them a large feed, then got a family member or a close friend to change their water each day.. Which wouldn't involve handling the snakes...

If you contact NPWS and explain the situation, I'm sure you could arrange for someone to look after your pythons. It would be no different to a breeding loan. If I was closer, I would help you out.

If you care that much about your animals, and don't want them to get sick etc. Then why are you leaving the country.............................

Mate , that would rate up there , as 1 of the dumbest comments i've had the pleasure of reading ! .

Come on Julie, you know Tom would gladly look after them! hehe

Ill prob be around to keep an eye on em for ya. Let me know closer to the date.

im in th same boat, next june im going to the US for 3.5 weeks.... im still trying to think of someone that can house sit for us, and look after all the animals! its not easy! trying to find someone that can look after the house and the dog is the easy part! the snakes tend to deter alot of people!

HAHAHAHAHAHH , yes how could you leave the country like that :shock: :shock: :shock:

oh poor chris:lol:

I'll do it.

And IMO the LAST thing I would do if leaving my herps on their own for an extended period of time is give them a large feed. Conversely, I would not feed them for the week or two leading up to my departure so that they have empty bellies when I left. I would then turn ALL heating off. That way they aren't going to crap whilst I am away and will be able to curl up and slow down making it much easier to look after them. It is also far less likely to have an issue with heating. I would never leave heated cages unattended for that period of time. If the heat source blows you have an animal with a large feed in its belly and no heat to digest it.

not sure on the legalites down there, am trying to set up a bussiness to deal with just this problem, and am facing a lot of brick walls with there being no license catagory that can cover what i'm trying to do, thought my local EPA branch has been wonderful trying to help me.

hope you have a great trip!! planning and antisipation is half the fun

It is legal (in NSW). you just note it on your licence book. name and licence number of the person that is looking after it. The date you gave it to them and then note it when you get it back. It is not a transfer, just a note in your book.

It is legal (in NSW). you just note it on your licence book. name and licence number of the person that is looking after it. The date you gave it to them and then note it when you get it back. It is not a transfer, just a note in your book.

yeah, that covers temp care,does not cover a business though, belive me it's been a long hard fight to get to where i am in it and i still dont have a for certain yes you can, or no you cant do it, the epa likes the ides and i've got a vet or 2 who are willing to sign me off on it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back