Help needed- snakes in bad conditions no licence holder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

costal_diamond

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently own a coastal Carpet and a diamond python.
I went to a freinds house and during our conversation she mentioned her next door neighbour was holding 2 diamond pythons in a plastic tub with no heat no heat source and no venterlation.
After me being concered for the safety of the animals i convinced her we should go over there so i could see what conditions they were in etc. So the neighbour let us in so on so on.
Any way i ended up telling the neighbour that i was taking the snakes with me as the condtions were not suitable and the snakes would die.

So my question is,
Do i need to tell anyone like parks and wildlife that i have now "saved" these snakes, do i have to do anything in particular? They have been placed in my enclousure and seem happy enough. Just need some advice on what to do next. Id be happy to keep them if i am allowed.

Thanx

I would think that you would be obliged to hand the animals to NPWS - if the owner was not licenced (as your post title indicates) then he cannot legally transfer them to you, which means you are now breaching your own licence by keeping snakes that are not recorded in your name.

You can approach NPWS and see what they say....but be prepared to hand them over to them. Claiming that you 'rescued' them is not a legitimate reason for having snakes that are not on your records - in these cases they are meant to be handed over to NPWS.

Happy to stand corrected if I am wrong though......but this is how I understand it to be in NSW.

It'd also be wise to practice a bit more in the art of quarantine with new animals, especially if they're in bad condition...

Just walked into some ones home told them they were bad pet owners and they gave you their snakes? Wow! Have they got any more? Good luck with what happens next. I hope you haven't popped them into the already occupied enclosures.

I wouldn't say stole, more misappropriated. You could have offered advice on husbandry and licensing. Instead you now have two animals illegally in your possession. If I were you I would now contact the authorities and follow all instructions to avoid trouble for yourself. Granted, you were trying to do the right thing but have unwittingly placed yourself in a difficult position nonetheless.

I would be trying to hand them over to authorities ex parks or rspca so the correct procedures can be done, including full vet checks and with a bit of luck if they pass maybe you could be a person of interest in adopting the animals leagally? Either way i hope they find a better life, good luck with them.

OP, it would be best to contact your state authorities.

Thread locked to prevent further commentary on the method of snakes coming into OPs possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back