Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomreptiles

Reaction score
As an owner of a pitty x, I have copped flak for the past seven years but since the media hysteria of late, I feel I can't even take my dog out in public!
Don't get me wrong I feel for the family who lost their daughter, but why focus on the breed, this would never of happened if the owners were responsible.
My dog is the sweetest dog, she is used in school education about pets, used to evaluate other dogs behavior to new dogs, lives with six cats, pythons and rats.
Working in an animal environment, I have seen myself and work colleagues bitten by various dogs - all of them bar one have been under 5kgs, breeds such as poodles (toy), Maltese, chihuahua, bichon, etc but the worst breeds to deal with are shar peis and akitias, they are extremely aggressive to both animals and humans, but they are not in the news, as pitbulls sound much better media wise.
It's unfortunate that the majority of pitbull owners are morans, as i believe if owners were iq tested before allowing to own one, (actually to own an animal at all would be better) there would be no problems (personally i think this should be brought in for human breeding too). I do understand that a pitty can cause far more damage than a white fluffy, which is why they can be dangerous, but no more so than any other breed that weighs over 15kg.
Sorry for the rant, but I just received a comment while taking my dog for a a stroll - "********" - you do know that your dog should be put down!
"me" - held tongue, but quietly muttered no it's not the dog but you that should be put down!
Oh and just incase anyone makes a smartarse comment re my dogs collar, the reason she wears it, is I live in a low social economic area, and we have alot of strange people around, so she wears it as a deterrent for my protection:)
Would love to see pics of other peoples pittys, below pics are of "Rosie" a nearly seven year old pitty x, the love of my life:)
af20f210-9363-957c.jpg
af20f210-93a5-4cd6.jpg
af20f210-93cb-680c.jpg

i get very pissed off when people all over the news are saying that pittys are aggressive and should be banned, it is the owner not the dog i'm with you on this 1 mate

i have to agree, there are no bad breeds of dog, just bad people who do the wrong thing.

ive knwoen several pitties and they are all very nice well scocilized dogs,
working with a groomer at a hydrobath ive seen that most snappy dogs are of the small and yippy type.
large dogs ive seen rarely are "nasty" ..

the media is byond logic at times

I agree that pit dogs and breeds bred to fight are completely trainable given correct handling and socialization but 99% of people are not capable of raising dogs that do have a disposition for dominance combined with their muscle mass.

The negative attention they attract means 'dangerous' breeds are shut in a yard and not able to be given the right socialization with strangers, kids, traffic, other dogs etc so unfortunately not banning them is only going to make things worse.

People arn't getting any smarter and we all know how crap the government is at monitoring this kind of thing so having less of these breeds seems like the only logical alternative.

working with a groomer at a hydrobath ive seen that most snappy dogs are of the small and yippy type.
large dogs ive seen rarely are "nasty"

That in it's self is the same as saying pit dogs are dangerous. Smaller breeds simply arn't given the same level of training as larger breeds because they are just that.. small and their aggression is non lethal so they get away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the fact that someone has the right dog or wrong dog.

BUT! the real fact is that Pitty's are always proving them self wrong. JUST as someone says they are good and all someone gets hurt buy them. to be honest im sick of people plasting post around about pittys.
Yes i no other dogs can be agressive and yes other dogs do bite. BUT THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BREED FOR THEM TO BAND IT................

IM totally against them and hate them to the fact i could put them down myself. - ONLY because one has attached my dad in the past and they are not nice dogs and make a mess!

I HOPE THE GET RID OF THEM ALL!.

thats my opinion but. :)

CHeers.

I agree totally with phantom. What I want to know is, not only how did that pitty get out of it's own yard, but how the hell did it get inside the next door neighbour's house in the first place? Dogs don't hunt things down just for fun, that kid must have been doing something to annoy it or it wouldn't have bitten. I had to sit at work and listen to the morons on Kerry-Anne the next morning talking about how they should ban the breed and they were bred to kill and all that crap (they were actually bred for bull baiting, the idiots who owned them gave them the bad name of dogfight dogs and those were the mistreated, tortured animals that they made to want to kill because they had no way out) saying we put down all the ones they can find and the whole time I was absolutely fuming. By their own rule, all the humans that ever hurt another living being should be shot. Half the people in this world couldn't tell the difference between a pure pitbull and a cross. I for one think it has nothing to do with the animal itself and all to do with how they are raised, I love the breed, I love ALL breeds, it's humans that are destroying their name. No different to bull terriers or staffies used to be the 'omg lock it up it's vicious' dog.

You dont have to annoy a dog for it to bite!!!!!

The one that bit my dad he wasent even looking at it either reconising it and it lunged at my mum and nearly got her then went for my dad!!!!! if i was in the pound god watchout who ever owns them!

Your dog is so gorgeous, looks like such a sweetie =) I agree with you one hundred percent on this, it's the owner, not the dog that's the problem. No matter what size or breed your dog, if you have one then you should be undergoing training and discourage all aggressive behaviour.

My biggest annoyance is little dog owners, actually. I'll have my 40kg White German Shepherd on a lead while walking him, and at the park he's very responsive and comes when called if, for example, he decides to run off and meet some new dogs. I make sure this is the case as he's a massive dog and does have the physical potential to attack and absolutely destroy another dog that decides to be aggressive with him. However, there have been so many instances where a little dog is allowed to run around on its own free will, comes up to my beautifully behaved boy and tries to bite him. If he then responds with an appropriate bite back I'm the one at fault?? No, no, if I'm doing everything right to keep my Shep under control and minding his own business, while you let your d@mn chihuahua hassle other dogs, don't be angry at me or my dog if he comes out worse in the fight.
A message to any irresponsible small dog owners (I'm not saying you all are, but there are some): just because your dog is small and can't do much damage doesn't mean it's acceptable that it's nasty to other dogs. And if it attacks a larger dog like a Shepherd, it's your fault, not mine simply because he's bigger. My boy has never started any confrontations with other dogs, but he can certainly end them! Keep your animal in check please. Much appreciated.

That's my rant over. Phew. Feel better now =)

Coastalboy it's the fact that most of the people who want to own these 'dangerous' dogs don't give a toss about them, they just want the 'cool factor' of owning a breed that people stay away from. Not saying that all do, and the ones that do care aren't the ones who's dogs eat children and misbehave. They will only attack given the right situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i understand that!! i own bull mastiff X Neo Mastiffs. they a massive but i sook them up sooooo much they have never growled or even thought about biting. they are even scared of Maltese and poodles!!! so yes it is the owner but i have just had bad experience with them so my comment stands high and dry :)

Some dogs don't have the social interaction necessary to make the judgement on what is friendly or threat. These are the dogs kept behind fences that bark at every noise, never get to go for a walk and see other dogs/humans because they're classed as 'dangerous'. How crazy do you think a human would be if they were never let out, or never got to see anything but the hand that feeds them for their entire life? Do you think they could differentiate between what is friendly and what means them harm?

BUT! the real fact is that Pitty's are always proving them self wrong. JUST as someone says they are good and all someone gets hurt buy them. to be honest im sick of people plasting post around about pittys.
Yes i no other dogs can be agressive and yes other dogs do bite. BUT THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BREED FOR THEM TO BAND IT................

IM totally against them and hate them to the fact i could put them down myself. - ONLY because one has attached my dad in the past and they are not nice dogs and make a mess!

CHeers.

I got attacked by a border collie once, should we put all of them down as well. My ex's mother had to save her neighbors kids from their own Rottie, should we put all them down. I used to get attacked everytime I walked down the street by a neighbours Jack Russell, better ban them now. Humans attack humans for no reason, maybe we should ban humans. When does this end. I have had 2 pittbulls one cross and one pure and they were both the best dogs ever.The only time either of them ever got narky with anyone or other animal was when a little girl shoved a burning stick in his face, then he only barked at her. He used to chase roos and wallabies until he caught up to them and then watch them hop away, he was friends with my cockateil for gods sakes.

Your comment contradicts itself...you can't say they should all be destroyed in one sentence and then say it's their owner screwing them up in another.

I agree with hypochondrac that they are a dog that was originaly bred as a fighting/gaurd dog, and generally the people that buy these breeds leave them tied to a chain in a yard for just that reason, eventually they get lose and attack people. So some dogs have more potential to be a bit more aggresive than other dogs. BUT with the right training there is no dog that can not become a great loving people friendly pet.

Remember dogs and there ancestors are pack animals that grow in a basic social structure, they like attention, and unfortunatley people buy these dogs for pre mentioned reason of being a guard dog.

Coastalboy, that is the reason pittys get such bad raps, its because the people that buy them dont buy them to be friendly family pets. If you treated a labrador or border kelly the same they would become anti social as well.

A dogs behaviour is a reflection of how its owner raised it.

they will never understand...... no matter how hard you try and post stuff everywhere they will never see them as normals dogs. pitty's have now got a name for them self and i bet it wont go away :)

You dont have to annoy a dog for it to bite!!!!!

The one that bit my dad he wasent even looking at it either reconising it and it lunged at my mum and nearly got her then went for my dad!!!!! if i was in the pound god watchout who ever owns them!

Coastal boy, I am sorry for your experience, but clearly you have no idea on how canines think. There would of been a reason, you just don't know or understand what it is.
If by going by your thought, I have nasty scar from a chihuahua, it would of killed me if it was able to, I should kill all chi's despite the rare few that can be lovely!
The media has drummed it into everyone, that pits are bad, despite the fact 90% of people would not know a pit if they tripped over it (this was mentioned above)
I am not trying to start a thread defending them, (pits) but rather people need to understand that any breed of dog has the potential to cause serious injury, and all canine owners need to take responsibility for their dog, despite breed and oh learn what a real pit looks like

CHeers.

You sound a bit like Hitler... Lets gas anything we have a grudge against.

Don't you think you look very ignorant branding a breed just because of one isolated incident that occurred with your Father.. I bet you would be angry at people labeling all snakes bad and calling for a mass killing of them, and people taking away your pet to have it gassed because of those incidents in America where idiot rednecks end up with dead children because the large pythons acted instinctually and had the opportunity to kill. I don't think a mass cull is needed, I think strict regulations on the acquisition of these animals, maybe (even though people have their ways of getting them, just to make it harder) just because there are plenty of idiots getting these dogs because they are over compensating for their man hood
But not a mass cull, innocent animals will be killed and I cannot say that I agree with that..

Might_moose has it in one!
Oh I just took my pit out to the bathroom (she is an inside dog) and there were two people walking by - she didn't even attack them.....lol
The media has alot to answer to answer for, and you coastal boy should know as a python owner what a bad undeserved rap they (pythons) get. So just think maybe pits are getting a bad rap due to media, alot of the canines that are labeled pit or pit x are staffy x (I love staffs so don't jump on me), mastiff x (have a purebred mastiff in nz - love them), ridgey x, bulldog x, the list goes on. At the end of the day the media will report on the most sensational news and a pitbull will always be better news thanks to years of media reports that pitbulls are evil, nasty, devil spawn and killing machines.
My pit sleeps on my bed, should I draw up my will now? Just in case she kills me in my sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back