Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people would not know a pure pitty if they fell over it..

Some of us do know what a pure pitty looks like, and they are a gorgeous looking dog I will admit :)

Thank you hypo.
Ummm to smeejason, I did not buy my dog, she was a rescue (I found out about her breeding after I had taken her on, though it was obvious)
I agree with what you are saying, in fact you are 100% correct and i should of brought this up, but please don't bring me into it, I am against any breeding unless it is to better the bred (eg a registered breeder, appropriate rads done, any genetic probs breed out). As soon as I got her, she was desexed.
Again I will suggest it's owners that need the training.....
Meant to say thanks to equinny for posting those pics - what beautiful dog:)

Last edited:
This is so incredibly frustrating. I had 2 pure pitties. Wonderful dogs. Great with everyone. Not always terrific around other animals, but wonderful well mannered dogs all the same. Had them 8 years. Never had a negative indecent. I fear that the majority of the time that the problem is the " other end " of the lead.

I think it can be well concluded it is how the dog is trained, not by the nature of its breed, that determines the behaviour of a dog, well any animal that can be bred in captivity.

Though considering we still stereotype human beings by race, gender and sexuality I think it will be along time before we see any differences in how animals are perceived.

Its the reputaion of the breed thats the problem. Every dog has the potential to be a danger to people especially to children. Their reputation means all the bogans that want a tough dog go for pittys but alot of them keep one for the wrong reasons and have never had real interaction with dogs. They want them to be agressive as they think thats protection for themselves and thier property. I have been keeping dogs my entire life. My last dog was a red heeler (red cattle). reds and blues in my opinion are amongst the most naturally aggressive of dogs. She was very protective extemly smart. That dog was a teddy bear but could evaluate a situation and act accordingly. I currently own a neo mastiff cross dogue de bordeaux. No one comes into our yard. both dogs were bred for war by the french and italians and both are known to be overly protective. He is heavy, his bark and the size of his head would shake the most mettle of men but I keep him social with other dogs and people. I have a son and my family and friends bring their children around regularly.He swims and plays with them and becomes part of the group. He might as well be a jumping castle for them but he is well disiplined and socially a pussy cat. I would be more cautious of my parents border collie.

Its the reputaion of the breed thats the problem. Every dog has the potential to be a danger to people especially to children. Their reputation means all the bogans that want a tough dog go for pittys but alot of them keep one for the wrong reasons and have never had real interaction with dogs. They want them to be agressive as they think thats protection for themselves and thier property. I have been keeping dogs my entire life. My last dog was a red heeler (red cattle). reds and blues in my opinion are amongst the most naturally aggressive of dogs. She was very protective extemly smart. That dog was a teddy bear but could evaluate a situation and act accordingly. I currently own a neo mastiff cross dogue de bordeaux. No one comes into our yard. both dogs were bred for war by the french and italians and both are known to be overly protective. He is heavy, his bark and the size of his head would shake the most mettle of men but I keep him social with other dogs and people. I have a son and my family and friends bring their children around regularly.He swims and plays with them and becomes part of the group. He might as well be a jumping castle for them but he is well disiplined and socially a pussy cat. I would be more cautious of my parents border collie.

Blue Heelers aggressive? No! What!?
My mate has two and they're sooks, so nice, he takes them for walks off-leash and they're perfectly fine, they just walk with him.

I agree with the statement that Poms are aggro -- mine is a b-tch! I sit down near her, and move her a tiny bit,and she bites me! The majority of her bites are play-bites, but sometimes, she really wants to hurt me.

Pit bulls, to my understanding, are THREE breeds:
Staffordshire bull terriers (Staffies)
American pit bull terriers
American staffordshire terriers

My sister-in-law owns a Staffie, and I love it, it's so nice, but it can get hypo.

Blue Heelers aggressive? No! What!?
My mate has two and they're sooks, so nice, he takes them for walks off-leash and they're perfectly fine, they just walk with him.

Cattle dogs/heelers can be quite aggressive, actually (again from a veterinary perspective). They can be incredibly protective and loyal to one owner- when around them, they can be perfect, friendly angels. remove them from their comfort zone, threaten their owner or do something they dont like and they can be a TOTALLY different story. They can also be fear biters, if they are timid. I'd probably say >50% of cattle dogs/heelers through the vet clinics I've been to have been relatively aggressive in one way or another. Actually, probably around 70% or so. By default, cattle dogs/heelers are one of the breeds that I am ALWAYS quite wary of initially until I get to know them and they get to know me. (and no, I have nothing against cattle dogs)

Ban dog is neo and pitty, neo and staffy or staffy and pitty depending on the line it was bred from.

Last edited:
I find it funny that we have so many pitbull experts here yet not a single one seems to know why they were initially bred, They weren't bred at all for fighting....They were bred specifically for pigging!!
Staffies aren't pitbulls "Snakeluvver".

I have been around numerous pitbulls and my educated opinion is that they should remain 100% illegal to breed or own in Australia, Don't believe what pitbull owners try to tell you, the dogs have a genetic disposition for aggression and were line bred for that exact reason. A lot of owners believe they have "trained" their pitbull and got them worked out....this is not the case.

It also angers me to see these macho morons try to list them as "American staffordshires" staffies are awesome dogs and shouldn't be put in the same class as pitbulls.

I find it funny that we have so many pitbull experts here yet not a single one seems to know why they were initially bred, They weren't bred at all for fighting....They were bred specifically for pigging!!
Staffies aren't pitbulls "Snakeluvver".

I have been around numerous pitbulls and my educated opinion is that they should remain 100% illegal to breed or own in Australia, Don't believe what pitbull owners try to tell you, the dogs have a genetic disposition for aggression and were line bred for that exact reason. A lot of owners believe they have "trained" their pitbull and got them worked out....this is not the case.

It also angers me to see these macho morons try to list them as "American staffordshires" staffies are awesome dogs and shouldn't be put in the same class as pitbulls.

Maybe your the one that needs a history lesson:
American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

the real pit bull doesn't even exist anymore it was bred out, all thats left is it's genes in todays pit bulls, i breed amstaff for a side hobby, my dogs do weight pulling comps, i know what i'm talking about
Where do you people come up with this.

what i meant by the ban dog was that is what americans see as a pitty
No it is not, refer to the above links on Ban Dogs and Pit Bulls

A pit bull is any of several breeds of dog in the moloserr breed group
Though the pit bull type dogs were all created with similar crossbreeding between bulldogs and terriers, each individual breed within the type has a somewhat different history

The Staffordshire bull terrier had its beginnings in England many centuries ago when the bulldog and Mastiff were used for the sports of bull baiting and bear bating.

The American pit bull terrier dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions

American Staffordshire terrier
were imported primarily, but not exclusively, for pit fighting

Pit bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know its wikipedia, but its not biased.

stupid boldness.

Amstaffs have the same history as pit bulls. They began breeding these dogs differently so they could be used for showing, as pit bulls aren't allowed to be shown. Anyone who tells you amstaffs are nothing like pit bulls obviously hasn't looked up anything on them. English staffordshire bull terries are not the same.

American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier History

Just in case anyone was actually interested in pit bull history,
American Pit Bull Terrier

Last edited:
Do you compete in Hungary, that dog is from Ritas in Hungary

Weight Pulling AMSTAFF puppies mother and father TK-VES - Manila

Date Posted: June 15
Phone: 06303158473
Price: $ 25,000

Amstaffs have the same history as pit bulls. They began breeding these dogs differently so they could be used for showing, as pit bulls aren't allowed to be shown. Anyone who tells you amstaffs are nothing like pit bulls obviously hasn't looked up anything on them. English staffordshire bull terries are not the same.

American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier History

Just in case anyone was actually interested in pit bull history,
American Pit Bull Terrier

I was getting to the Am Staff link but got distracted, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back