Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an owner of a pitty x, I have copped flak for the past seven years but since the media hysteria of late, I feel I can't even take my dog out in public!
Don't get me wrong I feel for the family who lost their daughter, but why focus on the breed, this would never of happened if the owners were responsible.
My dog is the sweetest dog, she is used in school education about pets, used to evaluate other dogs behavior to new dogs, lives with six cats, pythons and rats.
Working in an animal environment, I have seen myself and work colleagues bitten by various dogs - all of them bar one have been under 5kgs, breeds such as poodles (toy), Maltese, chihuahua, bichon, etc but the worst breeds to deal with are shar peis and akitias, they are extremely aggressive to both animals and humans, but they are not in the news, as pitbulls sound much better media wise.
It's unfortunate that the majority of pitbull owners are morans, as i believe if owners were iq tested before allowing to own one, (actually to own an animal at all would be better) there would be no problems (personally i think this should be brought in for human breeding too). I do understand that a pitty can cause far more damage than a white fluffy, which is why they can be dangerous, but no more so than any other breed that weighs over 15kg.
Sorry for the rant, but I just received a comment while taking my dog for a a stroll - "********" - you do know that your dog should be put down!
"me" - held tongue, but quietly muttered no it's not the dog but you that should be put down!
Oh and just incase anyone makes a smartarse comment re my dogs collar, the reason she wears it, is I live in a low social economic area, and we have alot of strange people around, so she wears it as a deterrent for my protection:)
Would love to see pics of other peoples pittys, below pics are of "Rosie" a nearly seven year old pitty x, the love of my life:)
af20f210-9363-957c.jpg
af20f210-93a5-4cd6.jpg
af20f210-93cb-680c.jpg

?????????????????????????????????????????? You hate people stereotyping pits, but you do the same thing to two breeds of dog that I have personally interacted with, without an issue and have seen other dogs get along with also.

For the record.. There is no such thing as a purebred pit bull.
They arn't recognized registered breeds.

Yes, gotta say I totally disagree with the akita statement, in Japan the farmers leave akitas home all day with there children as protectors, that is what they were bred for. They are not good with herbivores but they are no problem with other dogs and cats.

It's not the fact that someone has the right dog or wrong dog.

BUT! the real fact is that Pitty's are always proving them self wrong. JUST as someone says they are good and all someone gets hurt buy them. to be honest im sick of people plasting post around about pittys.
Yes i no other dogs can be agressive and yes other dogs do bite. BUT THERE MUST BE SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BREED FOR THEM TO BAND IT................

IM totally against them and hate them to the fact i could put them down myself. - ONLY because one has attached my dad in the past and they are not nice dogs and make a mess!

I HOPE THE GET RID OF THEM ALL!.

thats my opinion but. :)

CHeers.

I can't say the things to you I'd like to, I'd get banned. Just because your old man copped a hiding from a pit bull, doesn't mean every pit bull is a bad dog. You are so behind the 8 ball it's not funny, bias is a stupid thing, especially when you're advocating the slaughter of innocent, and loving animals.

Are you sure the dog was even a pitbull? Any dog that attacks someone seems to be labelled a pitbull.

?????????????????????????????????????????? You hate people stereotyping pits, but you do the same thing to two breeds of dog that I have personally interacted with, without an issue and have seen other dogs get along with also.

I'm amazed at the number of people that are labelling other breeds or small breeds nasty just because they don't own or have a fondness for them. It's a blatant contradictory.

Maybe not in Australia

That's right, not in Australia.
America loves to slap it's title on the front of various tweaked dog breeds and call them their own.

I'm amazed at the number of people that are labelling other breeds or small breeds nasty just because they don't own or have a fondness for them. It's a blatant contradictory.

Indeed. I think it's funny that the main argument a pitbull owner has, is that no breed is bad, it's just individual dogs that haven't been trained properly. Yet a pitbull owner who hates the stereotyping their dog receives does the same thing, lol.

It sort of reminds me of the 'study' done on dog bites in the UK. Lab came out on top with most dog bites recorded over a certain period of time.. I wonder why. Could it be that this is one of the most popular breeds, especially to keep as a family dog?

Laugh laugh laugh!

You're right! I have heard someone tell me that labs have more attacks to their name then pits. People don't hate them! The person telling me was under the impression that this was an Australian statistic, though.

There can be 'bad' dogs in all breeds that have a tendency to be more aggressive than others. There are a heap of factors that come into play- e.g. genetics (some lines and breeds do seem to have an increased frequency of being 'aggressive' whether because they are fearful (e.g. fear biters) or dominant for example), owners, training, environment, how they were raised from young pups to adults, and what they are exposed to.

It also depends what you class as aggressive- as I said, some dogs are timid and can be fear biters, others can just be very protective of their owners such as cattle dogs. Working in the veterinary industry (Final year veterinary science student) I see so many dogs of different breeds, genetics etc with different histories and brought up in different environments. Some pitbulls we get through are nice, though admittedly a lot do give you that 'look' where you just cant trust them. But at the same time, there are also plenty of other dogs that are like that. Some cattle dogs, mastiffs, chihuahuas, maltese, terriers etc can be aggressive too though, for whatever reason.

In summary- It is not a clear-cut black and white issue. You need a bit of common sense, and an awareness and understanding of canine behaviour. You're better off erring on the side of caution and being a bit wary with unknown animals at first, until you learn a bit more about what they are like as an individual. It can get a bit tricky when kids are involved, however. But if parents bring children up well with a good respect for animals and the knowledge that not all might be friendly, it would significantly reduce many problems

I will admit that generally I would rather deal with a large mastiff or 'pig dog' type than some smaller spoilt rotten small breed dogs as they often tolerate things much better, can be better behaved and will let you do literally just about anything to them and not do anything- no growl, no 'look', nothing. but again, it is ALL dependent on the individual

Last edited:
This is a bit like the whole "What snake won't bite me?" question. Any breed of dog will have members in it that will be aggressive - whether it is due to crappy owners or whatever.

BTW OP, your dog is gorgeous.

Hey, I love all dogs and have owned all sorts of breeds. At the moment I have a Jack Russell x Pom, Jack Russell x Chinese Crested and the a fore mentioned Bull Mastiff x. Since childhood I've owned a Chinese Crested, Maltese, Pitbull, Border Collie, Welsh Collie, Ridgeback, Cattle x Dingo, Pitty x Dingo. All sorts.

True, true hypo!
As to Kawasakirider, yep you are totally right! See how easy it is to condem a breed. I love all animals but my own personal experience has made me bias to shar peis & Akitas. To kaotikjezta I apologise, most can be lovely but not all.
I guess the only different thing is I am not going round saying kill them all (shar peis & Akitas), they are also both easily recognized as a breed.
As I had previously stated, I just wanted to get across that all pets (canine, feline, bovine, porcine, equine, ovine, reptiles and any that i have missed) have the potential to do damage and as owners we need to minimize this as much as we can.

I'll also add that I don't have any dogs of my own, so I'm not biased to any particular breeds because of this. I just go by what I see every day with the numerous dogs that come through the clinics doors, and even just watching dogs out in public.

Most people would not know a pure pitty if they fell over it..
Unfortunately phantom it is people like yourself that say i have a pitty x that cause most the trouble. a dog bred to fight crossed with most other breeds that are bred to bite.. really what do people expect.. then the bite instinct takes over and the x bit never gets a mention only the pitty bit..
I owned them years ago when i new that i was getting a pure line dog . but up the road a guy had a boxer bitch he used to put a male staff over and get 3000 a pup for his 'pit bull pups' and he had people lining up to buy them parents unseen.. He would laugh about it..
Thus you have dogs running around that are not even remotely pit bulls but are declared so by genius vets and council workers.
The only pure line i know left in my area that my friends own are registered as labrador crosses and that was from a vet that signed them off for the council lol lol.

That would be because the world pit bull not only refers to the dog that America claims to be their own pure line but many other pit fighing dogs also, i.e English staffordshire bull terrier.

I think part of the reason they are shown in such bad light is because of the MEDIA. Pittys are pretty much the only dogs that appear in the news for dog attacks... I am sure there are many many other breeds that have attacked people yet media doesn't bother reporting on them, because it wasn't by a pitty.

I have met a few pitty in my time, My husband had a pure bred red nose, one of my best mates has a red nose too and he's the most gorgeous dog, super friendly, she has 2 young kids, horses, goats, snakes, another 2 dogs and he's the least aggressive out of all her pets.

To generalise all pittys, saying that they should be destroyed because they all attack is like saying vens shouldn't be allowed as pets because they have the potential to kill. With the right training (in a pittys case, for the dog and owner), there is no reason why they should be banned.

And because I can, and it's relevant, pics of my late-husbands gorgeous red nose, Baron, when he was a puppy. (bad quality sorry, photos of photos taken years ago).
n644075397_1069575_7971.jpg

n644075397_1069576_8332.jpg

n644075397_1069577_8671.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back