Darwin carpet python substrate

Grigals

Hi guys! I'm setting up a new terrarium for my Darwin carpet python August and the last thing i need to add now is substrate. All the pet stores were recommending aspen bedding but I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing to use? I would really like a more natural looking substrate anyway, if anyone has any substrates they recommend please reply!

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
APS Veteran
Trusted Seller
Aspen is great but expensive, especially if you're buying it from a pet shop. If you want something more natural looking than that I'm not sure what you can go for which is going to be any good. I go for practical, which rules out anything natural looking.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
APS Veteran
Trusted Seller
Newspaper for the win haha

I spent almost 20 years using newspaper for most of my snakes! Haha! I did eventually change, but newspaper is a decent option as long as you're willing to clean it promptly. These days I'm a fan of Breeders Choice, I like giving them a particulate substrate and something which holds a bit more thermal inertia, and I think it also stabilises the humidity and helps them slough. There's not a huge amount in it but that's my preference these days. Obviously it's not great for someone wanting it to look natural, but I've never been afflicted by wanting something in a plastic tub or chipboard box with electrical heating and a ceramic water bowl to somehow look natural! For the last 12 years or so I haven't even particularly wanted the snakes themselves to look natural! Haha!

lyzzi

Not so new Member
I use Astro turf with newspaper underneath. It's great. I have 2 pieces cut to size for each enclosure so when I need to change I just remove the dirty one she put in the clean one, then clean the dirty ones. It's natural looking and easy to spot clean

Herptology

Very Well-Known Member
Trusted Seller
i used newspaper....untill the first rabbit came out and my newspaper basically disintegrated so had to use my hands :L !

now just nice strong butchers paper