Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not meaning to burst he legality bubble on the thread, but it is LEGAL, i say again LEGAL to bring in "exotic" reptiles to australia. Obviously there is certain restrictions to what you are brining in, you dont even need to be a zoo.

Just as it is legal to send our animals over seas. From what i understand though, it is a paperwork nightmare, and costs a bit as well. Then there is a whole suite of protocols in place regarding quarantine etc etc. So it can cost a considerable amount once you start factoring all those things in.

Furthermore, something which i found mildly amusing in my own sick way is that you have to pay a fee to lodge the application, something to the tune of $150-250 depending on the animal. But this doesnt gaurantee anything and it can still be revoked.

The guy from ACT environment was saying that he has put in about 10-12 in his time and has only seen about 4-5 actually go through.

So in short it can be done. But have fun doing it

D

i do have the link around somewhere if someone is keen to read it through the information on it.

What I don't get about this whole argument and I am not getting into the legal/illegal part of it all but why aren't people even allowed to even say an exotic is beautiful without others jumping up and down telling us our animals are the best and there is nothing that compares ? Believe it or not the whole world has amazing animals, my favourite region is South America, I am a huge boa/iguana fan but that apparently makes me a bad man and I should be shipped out of the country LOL.
Appreciate what we have by all means but don't condemn others for seeing beauty in other animals. It is a sign of insecurity.

Umm, i think u missed my point. I didn't say that everyone who wants exotics shld be shipped off for crying out loud grow up a bit. Of course I want my fair share of exotics, but the point is I respect our ecology enuf to make a sacrifice.

We're killing our own native animals at the rate of knots anyway, and certainly a hell of a lot faster than any exotic species of herp will. We've introduced cats and foxes an toads and bunch of other horrors, why worry about a few more :lol: The bloody things are already in the country by the shipload anyway- get it legislated properly and take the "black" aspect out of an already existent and flourishing market! We're all dancing around and waving our hands trying to stop something that's already here...silly!

Wow, wat an inspirational attitude u have. It's going to happen anyways, so let's just give up. U no wat, the human race is going to breed to overpopulation and become extinct anyway so we shld just all kill ourselves now.

Seriously, if you think there are next to none exotic reptiles in Australia you are an idiot. Go to a pet shop, any pet shop, and try to find an exotic breeder you will, may not be the 1st pet shop but there are pet shops that have exotics sitting in tubs out the back.

I don't see the problem with keeping exotics on or off license, seriously. You think that as soon as exotics are made legal automatically there will be thousands destroying our habitat. If anything this will help stop them going into the wild, because instead of someone releasing it because they can't look after it, they will post it in the for sale forum, or give it to there mate.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with this post, but some people really need to pull there heads out of there bum's and sniff the real world.

Kane

Haha, "dont mean to offend anyone, but u suck!" lol, some ppl need to learn that the use of "no offence" does not put a shield around u making u able to take stabs at anyone u lyk.

I'm sorry 2 say it Kane, but ur logic is way off. My point is that there is a market for exotics (this is the problem), but at the moment, its a black market. Legalising exotics will cause an incredible flood of exotics into the country, not only stealing away Australia's unique pet herp image, but also increasing the number of escapes and idiot keepers who don't keep herps properly.

To say that the introduction of exotics will decrease the occurrence of exotics in the wild is pure idiocy. Nuff said.

Had a look at site. Found info on Reticulated and burmese, But thats only if going to a secure site iguess there is strict rules here. I couldn't find anything that would make me think I could as a herp hobbyist import say, a Iguana

I think we should just settle on the fact that there is enough native wildlife for us to involve ourselves with and that our animals should be enough despite whether or not you like an exotic there is still some fantastic animals in australia and to the contrary of what people beleive there isnt that many exotic species in australia (by not that many i mean there is still a alot but not as much as you think) to a post made earlier pet stores dont have exotics stashed out the back. ive worked in enough to know that. We should be thankfull for the animals we have and i agree with timoei, legalising wont help the pet trade itll just make it worse. We already have trouble with cross bred carpets and escaped pets and the same will happen with exotic species and this will ruin the native wildlife. We always think there will be no harm in doin things but look at foxes, rabbits and the cain toad on all these occasions we felt there was no harm well im sorry but we should keep exotics on the so called "black" stages of developement as i feel only the most keen keeper will obtain one and hence will look after it and not have it cross bred with native species or have it escape.

As a person from the US that keeps exotics, I whole heartedly respect Aussies Import/Export laws. I honestly think it is great that they have bans and laws in place to protect their native species. Dont get me wrong, I would DIE for a centralian, western or shingleback blue tongue skink along with many other of native Aussie reptile species, but I know I wont be able to unless I am willing to spend thousands of dollars ($5000+). I have accepted this and realized that no matter how much complaining I would do, its not going to make a difference.

I think you should be happy to live in a country that is FULL of many different types of beautiful wildlife! I would love to go visit your guys beautiful country and be able to capture all of your reptile species (with a camera that is! lol).

I have a feeling when I am older (I'm only 15 now) I will have two houses one for me and one for my lizards... I would spend most of my time in the lizard house though :D

Anyone know a really really big, colorful (orange, green) native aussie lizard?

Central Netted Dragons can be colourful, although not "really really big"

Netted.jpg

Or you could try for an Emerald Monitor, or Mangrove Monitor.

:p

Hix

if a exotic animal escape it end up like the simpsons with the bolivion tree lizards
we would need to import chinese needle snakes then
import south african snake eating gorrilas and wate for them to die in the winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim,

I understand what you are saying, I love Australian reptiles as much as the next person on this forum. But I respect that fact there always will be exotics around. My point which i don't think that your getting, is that the fact that there are exotics out there is true, so why not do something about it? But an amnesty out, get them legal, make it known how many exotics there really are because the system we are in now is crap.

Sure I would kill for a Red Tailed boa, or a Burmese python, but that fact of the matter is we cannot keep them, so I won't do it. Also i don't think some reptiles can survive in Australia's environment.

Kane

Wow, wat an inspirational attitude u have. It's going to happen anyways, so let's just give up. U no wat, the human race is going to breed to overpopulation and become extinct anyway so we shld just all kill ourselves now.

Great idea and better than half the "save the world" crap I hear from people. We're all out there destroying the planet at a phenomenal rate, but we can all puff our chests out and say what a wonderful job we're doing with our Australian wildlife...what a load of.......! If we're not out there eating or shooting it, or half of it being hit hard by an invasive toad species we're out there knocking down its habitat or running over it in our cars!!!!! Give me a break!

One thing we're useless at is managing what we've got, and it's not hard thinking of some really important ones..... like bloody water for a start. So as far as exotics go, we aren't handling this matter very well either, they are like illicit drugs in society, we can squeal and rant and rave like a pack of idiots and turn a blind eye , but it's not stopping the multitudes of other idiots out there obtaining them (most of these exotics aren't coming in from overseas anyway, they are bred here).

The world is becoming a smaller place whether we like it or not, we can't just remain this secluded happy little island that nothing will touch forever. Clever management now, or the basis of some sort of framework that will enable certain individuals access to some species of exotic reptile is the most sensible and logical approach in my opinion. But that said, even with the licensing system we already have in place, it has major flaws.

It's because as humans we're great at mismanagement and slightly better at partially fixing the massive mistakes we have made that impact our wildlife. Perhaps if we were all as "into nature" as we make out, nobody would keep animals as pets. But the desire to do so remains, and this is where the whole dog eat dog problem has sprouted. So in reality you're right, the only thing that'll save our wildlife is if we're weren't around, but rest assured, we way we're all going it won't take too long!

look i think some of you are missing the point, your saying that we should just let exotics in because it wouldnt matter if exotics got out and coursed chaos because us humans are doing it faster well arent you generalising a bit? most of us here are lovers of reptiles and would sooner catch a wild snake and show it of rather than kill it like non reptile lovers. this forum is for reptile lovers.

Remember we are only voicing our opinions on the matter of exotics but seeings as exotics are now being treated the same way as drugs well i think your take this way out of hand. Drugs is an underground thing just like exotics are but where not talking about people killing themselves were talking about the impact exotics have on the native wildlife.

ok lets take this too far and compare exotic deseases with native wild life to human exotic deseases. We here in australia are scared of this bird flu from getting here correct? because our bodies have been exsposed to small amounts of this desease like those in asia. if the desease makes it to australain shores we sill drop faster than flies and exotic deseases will do the same to your animals. just look at the OMPV virus found in snakes atm in australia its an exotic desease that has been introduced into australia and now our private collections are dieing from it and its only a matter of time before it gets into the wild.

just look at the OMPV virus found in snakes atm in australia its an exotic desease that has been introduced into australia and now our private collections are dieing from it and its only a matter of time before it gets into the wild.

Yeah? And why's that? Because these things are happening already whether we like it or not. The same as it's also not a matter of "if" bird flu will hit our country but "when", so again, these things are unavoidable. It's better to give the majority of people the right and legal choices and get it right, than stumble around trying to apprehend the few who are doing everything wrong and exposing the rest of us to the "risk" of foreign diseases and jeopardizing our licensing rights. Personally I'll always try to do everything by the letter of law in regards to this, but there are others who'll gladly overlook it.

I also think the association of illicit drugs and black market exotic reptiles is a pretty reasonable assumption myself. Doing either does nothing in benefiting our society, and they are both illegal yet people are still doing it - regardless of the impact it will/ can supposedly make. Controlled drugs like methadone programs and the like work and are legal, so you draw the comparison.

look i think some of you are missing the point, your saying that we should just let exotics in because it wouldnt matter if exotics got out and coursed chaos because us humans are doing it faster well arent you generalising a bit?

...and I'm not saying just let them in. And No, I'm not generalizing. Have you driven a car today? Turned on a light bulb? Opened a packet of chips? Flushed a toilet? After the last 200yrs of modern day society we're sinking this planet faster than an prison escapee in a knockshop!

I'm not wanting to sound mean about the whole issue, but that's just my gloomy way of seeing it. Perhaps I'm way off the mark, but when you really open your eyes and have a look at what's going on, it's bloody scary!

hahahaha ok well remember we make these choices on the things we do, so by the fact that these things happen whether we like it or not isnt a case of its out of the people hands because its people that do this. your comparing the animal trade with the water loss well im sorry but um the weather does its own thing but water conservation is a little bit of a different issue. im not saying the world isnt scary mate because we all live in it but it also takes all of us to get things not exactly right because itll never happen but if we dont work together as a group then things wont get better. if we work together to make people avoid exotics then we are helping just because your not getting instant results doesnt mean we arent having an inpact. and as far as "things have already happened" its never too late to try and turn the tide.

Lol, moosenoose, i hav a suggestion for u:

Go form a nihilist colony on a secluded island and everyday you and your followers can bask in the despair of the world and roll on the floor saying how naive it is to fight for what you believe in.

Stop spreading ur cynical crap onto other ppl. U reckon we shld all go die in a hole because there's a bad man outside dumping his nuclear waste in the ocean. I don't know about u, but personally, i believe in integrity, commonly mistaken for naivety, and i believe that the greatest form of courage is persisting in the face of defeat, well aware that you will fail.

Cynicism is the weakest moral standpoint (if u can call it that), and basically is an intellectual excuse for laziness and immorality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back