Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait to see it finished mate looks good I wish I could do this for a living haha

As I have a bit of time and I had a couple of pics I thought I slog away a little update. We mixed some charcoal base colour out of the grey I bought and using the compressor we gave it two hits and it turned out great. Now when Kathy feels energetic she can do the rest of the painting and I can seal it with the pondtight.

Spraying:
P1130001_zps71c3ce24.jpg

Sprayed:
P1130002_zps9d897d6d.jpg

I also took some pics of the new plants that the girls started to mount while I was with Kevin painting. I need to trim the wires sticking through and insert some lead sinkers into the styrene to weigh it down and then they can be shaped a bit better. The plan is to coat the base with PVA and roll it in aquarium gravel for a different finish and texture to the other stuff.

$15 plants fom K-Mart pulled apart and clumped for the enclosure:
P1140005_zps14260bc3.jpg

P1140004_zps2e5b7a0f.jpg

P1140003_zps5fddffb5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's coming together great! KMart you say? I'll have to check them out when I fetch some plants for Floyd's new enclosure.

Can't wait to see this when it's all finish, it's going to be fantastic.

They were in the home decor section. They come in white resin flower pots and we just busted them out of the pots which we will use for something else. You can also get little succulants in three individual pots for $15 too.

with the plants , a little thing im planning on doing is just sticking them in about an inch thick of render or just cement in the bottom of an ice cream container , this should keep the centre of gravity nice and low to reduce them tipping over when they climb all over them and once coated in pondtite should make them nice and easy to clean

with the plants , a little thing im planning on doing is just sticking them in about an inch thick of render or just cement in the bottom of an ice cream container , this should keep the centre of gravity nice and low to reduce them tipping over when they climb all over them and once coated in pondtite should make them nice and easy to clean

This is a great idea!

How were you planning on weighing down the plants, Gruni?

image.jpgI have a post one here with a tv cabinet enclosure I finished mine around October I think yours has come up wicked man few things different to mine but same shape proves how much you can make them to suite what you want :)

Last edited:
View attachment 280875I have a post one here with a tv cabinet enclosure I finished mine around October I think yours has come up wicked man few things different to mine but same shape proves how much you can make them to suite what you want :)

Wow, that looks fantastic, really similar to how i would like mine to end up. Going to have to hunt down your build thread now...

You could also go to Sunny's profile and look through his Recently Started Threads which is often quicker and easier than the search feature on here... or Sunny could just post a link in here. :D

As for weighting the plants, I like your idea Thomas but I also like irregular shapes so I'll see how my plan works first. As I said earlier my plan is to wedge some fiar sized fishing sinkers into the bottom of the foam but we'll see what happens, I also think the girls were a bit megre with the amount of foam they used on some of them and I will probably make some broader bases on the weekend.

You could also go to Sunny's profile and look through his Recently Started Threads which is often quicker and easier than the search feature on here... or Sunny could just post a link in here. :D

As for weighting the plants, I like your idea Thomas but I also like irregular shapes so I'll see how my plan works first. As I said earlier my plan is to wedge some fiar sized fishing sinkers into the bottom of the foam but we'll see what happens, I also think the girls were a bit megre with the amount of foam they used on some of them and I will probably make some broader bases on the weekend.

ah, i don't know how i missed that. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Wish I'd seen Sunny's post about the vents before I started but I think it should still work ok.

thats pretty quickly sorted if you use a loose substraight a little deeper than the hight of the concrete , then just cover it up , that was my plan anyways , personal preference really , will be interesting to see how it works for you , id imagine the sinkers will do the same thing

See and there is the problem/difference, I use astroturf as my substrate. :)

See and there is the problem/difference, I use astroturf as my substrate. :)
ahhhh i see , what is astro turf like , ive been thinking about using it for my coastal for the ease of cleaning , ill probably stick to coir for the womas though as they actually use it for digging in

It's great as far as I'm concerned. I have two pieces, one in while the other is cleaned and drying. I also put several layers of newspaper under the turf to soak up any water that spills.

It's great as far as I'm concerned. I have two pieces, one in while the other is cleaned and drying. I also put several layers of newspaper under the turf to soak up any water that spills.
thats what i was thinking , could half cleaning time for him , like i said i will keep using coir for the womas but for the coastal whos rarely on the ground i dont see it as really necessary , actually kinda wasteful , what am i looking at roughly for 2 pieces 1200L 400W ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back