Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the Brown Clade I'd consider EB's and all other browns the hardest Australian Elapids to identify. In fact I can't think of any I personally have more trouble with.

QUOTE]

Yeh, well i did say probably, put a pic in front of me and guarentee ill get it wrong which is why i dont post in elapid id threads. To me most vens look alike so i have a hard time telling them apart.

Thanks Bluetongue1.

Finally, I get to post what I want…

Phatty, I think you already have your positive ID from Spongebob & others… a form of V. scalaris. The group is very variable (therefore a pain identification-wise) and has long been considered to contain a number of subspecies, and more recently, species.

Allowing for the fact that it is a hatchling, the snout is still not sharp enough for V.tristis – compare the side-on view with one of the hatchling tristis shown side-on in the tub. The bands around the base of the tail in tristis are not continuous whereas in trisitis they are. Young trisitis invariably have a well developed dark eye streak which is most often absent in scalaris, as it is here. I do not find the pattern on the back useful as it can be virtually identical for both species.

Steve NT, the stand out difference with panoptes is this one’s lack of a dark eye streak sharply bordered above and below with white or cream. It also lacks black dots. Superficially, quite a few hatchling monitors do look quite similar.

GeckoPhotographer, Found in a swimming pool is not any indication of aquatic preference. I have retrieved a drowned Marbled Gecko from our pool. Whether they are attempting to access water to drink or just checking it out, I suspect they just cannot cope with the smooth sides and they loose their footing.

Blue

PS. Thanks Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back