Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart70

Reaction score
Can somebody confirm for me the correct scientific name for Bredli?

I have seen it listed as Morelia Bredli, and in other places listed as Morelia Spilota Bredli. Could somebody please confirm for me the correct scientific name?

Thanks.....

From what read they were classified as morelia spilota bredli tgen changed to morelia bredli.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

They are generally considered Morelia bredli, unless you own Jags then they are considered Morelia spilota.

Thanks....I notice that in the NSW CoPs they are referred to as Morelia spilota bredli but I always thought they were Morelia bredli and after doing some recent reading of the CoPs it got me thinking more about it so figured I would ask the question.

In NSW they are under Morelia bredli. Also, since these are not classed as a carpet python sub-species, I doubt they would be labelled Morelia spilota bredli.

The NSW species list is a bit confusing tho, they are under Morelia bredli, but they label the common name as centralian carpet python???

Thanks....I notice that in the NSW CoPs they are referred to as Morelia spilota bredli but I always thought they were Morelia bredli and after doing some recent reading of the CoPs it got me thinking more about it so figured I would ask the question.
NSW still has stimsons as Liasis Stimsoni

In NSW they are under Morelia bredli. Also, since these are not classed as a carpet python sub-species, I doubt they would be labelled Morelia spilota bredli.

The NSW species list is a bit confusing tho, they are under Morelia bredli, but they label the common name as centralian carpet python???

Where are you seeing them listed in NSW as Morelia bredli? I am guessing in the online registry system? The NSW CoP's has them listed in Table A6 on page 26 as Morelia spilota bredli which is what triggered by curiosity.

I also understood, the same as you pointed out, that they were not a carpet sub species so would drop the spilota but was not sure. Looks like even our licensing body cannot get it consistent in their publications......I guess we got no chance of getting it right...:)

They are a carpet python and not a separate species.....

After a bit more digging I found a link back to a thread here last year:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/morelia-bredli-189067/

After reading the thread I still a little confused.....it appears that even the experts who stipulate it is spilota bredli have a disclaimer that it is still to be proven and that other experts believe otherwise and that they are not a part of the Carpet family.

I think I will just keep calling him Barry and not be too worried about who he is scientifically.....:)

Goes to show how little research and knowledge there has been historically into our species of native reptiles compared to other animal species.

They are a carpet python and not a separate species.....
Opinions vary on that, people see bredli x carpets as hybrids and not a cross species.
Some bigger breeders have even stated they will not do bredli jags as they are a hybrid and not a simple cross between sub-species.

This is a NSW NPWS paper. What is interesting is that Morelia bredli is listed as a separate species and Liasis stimsoni is listed as Antaresia stimsoni.

AUSTRALIAN HERPETOLOGY WEBSITE common names list page 2 Pythons

I can see where you are getting confused. NSW can't seem to make their mind up.

In Vic, bredli is listed as Morelia bredli on our species list. But then Vic has a few weird classing on their list.

In QLD and SA they are also listed as a species and it is not legal to cross them with a Morelia spilota.

So pretty much they are what ever your licensing system classes them as.

Opinions vary on that, people see bredli x carpets as hybrids and not a cross species.
Some bigger breeders have even stated they will not do bredli jags as they are a hybrid and not a simple cross between sub-species.

people who hybrid whatever are idiots
yes people believe it is going to be a new species but right now it is still labelled as morelia spilota bredli

When one of these stupid state government organisations gets any reptile species in the right genus for starters will i start paying attention
he was not asking for stupid reptile licences opinions
it has never been changed to morelia bredli on a species level yet, it is still classed as a morelia spilota subspecies
victoria still has pygopus nigriceps which also consists of schraderi, but i dont see people calling them the same species?

Morelia Bredli.
Due to it's range and location it is not considered a sub species of Spilota, but a separate species of Morelia all together.
It's common name and it's classification are two independent things, so it can still be commonly known as Centralian Carpet Python even though it is not considered of the Carpet family, and more recent texts will refer to it simply as Centralian Python.

Morelia Bredli.
Due to it's range and location it is not considered a sub species of Spilota, but a separate species of Morelia all together.
It's common name and it's classification are two independent things, so it can still be commonly known as Centralian Carpet Python even though it is not considered of the Carpet family...

please show me where this has been confirmed?
And please dont show me a reptile licence list

They were initially described as a different species and genus by Graeme Gow of the NT museum. The affinities with the Morelia group were recognised and it was included as sub-species of the carpet python in 1990. About 10 years on it was felt that it was sufficiently different enough from other sub-species of the carpet group to warrant separate species status. This was accepted by Cogger in 2000 and additional data was provided in a genetic study Mense in 2006, reaffirmed by Schleip & O’Shea in 2010.

From the Reptile Data Base...

• Python bredli — GOW 1981
  • Morelia spilota bredli — FYFE 1990
  • Morelia bredli — MCDIARMID, CAMPBELL & TOURÉ 1999: 172
  • Morelia bredli — COGGER 2000: 611
  • Morelia bredli — MENSE 2006
  • Morelia bredli — SCHLEIP & O’SHEA 2010

The issue with our taxonomy is that there is no real adjudicating body. All we have is an International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) which basically ensures that there is at least minimum adherence to the rules. The problem that arises is that the rules can be misused to provide minimal evidence for establishment of a new taxa. Serious taxonomists seek to collect maximum data in support of their taxonomic schemes. Parasites of the system pilfer work half done and use it to formulate taxonomic changes. Even if these are not accepted at the time, if future taxonomic work warrants the initial changes suggested, the original names that were suggested in the changes that were not accepted, must be used as the names for any change that was previously suggested.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back