Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morelia spilota spilota is the type 'ssp' of the Carpet Python Complex, that is the first described.

Over time since that description further species were described including Morelia mcdowelli, cheynei, bredli and imbricata, some of which were described multiple times under different names and from different localities and as both full species and sup-species.

Irregardless of what descriptions were made the general scientific community ACCEPTED these as sup-species but acceptance of any of them as full species was not widely taken.

For this reason despite that M. s. bredli was formally officially described as a full species, it is accepted only as a sub-species of carpet.

However I believe there is a PhD thesis out there showing good evidence for the recognition of both M. s. bredli and M. s. imbricata as full species. However the findings have not yet been published outside of the thesis.

What's written above is my limited understanding and by no means 'the entire story'. But certainly the more conservative viewpoint says that M. spilota bredli should remain recognized a sub-specieis for the current time.

please show me where this has been confirmed?
And please dont show me a reptile licence list

The latest work on carpet pythons will raise more than a couple of eyebrows I think you'll find ...

Essentially Taylor et al reported to the 2003 ASH Conference that analysis of mtDNA control region sequences, 22 allozyme loci and eight microsatellite loci from 350 snakes sampled from 119 locations throughout the range of the complex in Australia and New Guinea demonstrated (with good correlation between all three techniques) that there ARE ONLY THREE VALID TAXA IN THE COMPLEX ... :shock:

These being:

Morelia bredli (Central Australia)
Morelia spilota imbricata (South-western WA/Eyre Peninsula)
Morelia spilota spilota (All eastern and northern forms)

The abstract reference is

Taylor D, Rawlings L, Donnellan SC, Goodman AE. (2003) Population structure of the highly polytypic Australian carpet pythons (Reptilia: Morelia spilota)Proceedings of the 2003 Meeting of the Australian Society of Herpetologists.

Cogger (2000) Repiles and Amphibians of Australia, 6th edition Also.

Exactly the point i was trying to get across
Yes they SHOULD be classed as a seperate species but at the moment they are not because the work hasnt been published

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back