Punishment for corn possession

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder how many people in this thread have exotics right now...

i think its odd how so many people are supporting the idea of exotics i think people just want there own collection legalised so they can do some bragging without being busted:evil::lol:

So i wonder how many exotics are out there? anyone care to guess? Me no idea ,dont know of any real ones. Plenty of rumours though.

Exotics

wonder how many people in this thread have exotics right now...

i think its odd how so many people are supporting the idea of exotics i think people just want there own collection legalised so they can do some bragging without being busted:evil::lol:
There are legally kept exotics in Victoria. Bragging-that's the difference between men & boys.

kupper

there is plenty of people on this forum that will remain unamed that have exotics and not just your average jo corn snakes , whether they would admit to owning them especially here is another question

after being done for my corns that i had well and truely befor having anything native or a wildlife licence for that matter , i actually feel relived in a way also very much pissed that an animal that i have cared for for so long was taken and at this time being made into a belt not to mention that a memebr on this forum had the balls to dobb me in after i have helped them countless times

end of the day they are illegal and if you choose to keep them you are goign against federal law doing so ,

and for all those OPMV mungers on this forum , i would ahve been more worried about a native snake giving my corns something than the corns giving something to an aussie snake
Hey Kupper the nail has a small head but you hit it! 100% correct. Imagine if they were legal I'll take Red tails, Bloods, Rainbows & chuck in a couple of Chameleons!

i find it funny how so called animal lovers keep exotics knowing that if they get caught the exotics they so love will be killed...so whos selfish there....

If a system was put in place to monitor and impose standards on exotics, the situation could be much safer. At least there would be an idea of what's out there, in what numbers, who's in possesion of these animals and what are conditions they are being kept in.

That is an extremely naive view.

Making it legal would allow those who currently abide by the law to legally own exotics but otherwise would have absolutely no effect on those who already keep them or the conditions they are kept in. We've already had amnesties and they appear to have uncovered a tiny fraction of the illegals out there. In short, they were a WOFTAM.

I agree with this, mates of mates and firearm offences, they get a fine and community service or weekends inside.

You probably have a fine coming your way, i wouldnt worry about any jail sentence.

with people getting caught with guns, snakes, tasers, drugs etc - I highly doubt little old you with ur corn snake is worth them worrying too much about.

re punishment

Just a waste of public funds paying wildlife officers to pick up cornsnakes.

no zoo or wildlife park will take in an exotic unless they have brought it over on there own accord, due to diseases and other stuff...
your animal will be killed, no doubt about it.

Very interesting topic and surprisingly no one is really flaming... I cant say that I would never do, because I dont know what I would do in that sort of situation... What I will say is that I have been offered various "off licence" natives some not even allowed to be kept in WA on our licences and i have so far turned them all down...

@ ZOOCAM, this statement is not true, I am good friends with some owners of a wildlife centre, and there son actually works at Perth Zoo, and if there are imports smuggled and caught I believe that that zoo's and wildlife centres get the oppurtunity to buy the animals and then if no one is keen they are euthanised... Quite often they have aquired animals through this process...

Regards...
Ash...

Plant some exotic weeds in your neighbor's garden.

HAHA Love it!!!
In that situation, I probably wouldve done the same thing, but turned it over as soon as I found out it was illegal, before I got too attached.
Yes they will prob, euthanaise it, but it's better than it being released into the wild.

some one mentioned cane toads ----- if the goverment brought the corn snakes in told us it was for the betterment of the nation??????:rolleyes: maybe to eat the toads or something

When it comes down to the nitty gritty... Things are illeagal for reason! Surely if you knew that you needed a licence for australian pythons and ended up with a corn snake, you should of done the right thing and handed it in.... BUT i do agree that every living thing has a right to live, surely there is some common medium where exotics can be quarentened once found??
Also whats the point of hiding behind the user name anonamou5? There is a member on this thread that has openly admitted to being caught in possesion of exotics.... Might as well put a pic up with a paper bag over your head! How are we supposed to give sympathy to you if we ever meet in person, if we dont know your name or what you look like... =-] Anyways all the best.
Just my opinion, Brad.

NPWS have no jurisdiction over exotics. Agricultural Dept and Federal Dept of the Environment.

They do in fact. Their(DECC) charter for some reason does not define which reptiles they have control over thus the law has been interpreted to include all reptiles in the state of NSW. The exception would appear to be only those animals licensed with Ag.

if it was leagal id keep exotics not many tho im more interested in native but there are a few id have for display but for the time being when you found out the snake was illegal you should have turned it in to npws regardless of what happens to the snake that would have been the moral thing to do.

:lol: I love these threads. You will no doubt get what you deserve, a slap on the wrist.
As far as I am aware there is NO evidence to show that any diseases have been introduced by illegally imported exotics or what is more likely in this case a snake that is probably 5th generation Australian.
Why is it as soon as an exotic is mentioned the soapbox comes out and we are told how the snake is going to wipe out all our natives and is more than likely carrying numerous diseases.
This isn't pro or anti exotics just commonsense, think before you post ;)

Boa, have you forgotten the old case of the GTP's at cairns, supposedly carrying a strain of virus previously undescribed here.... I understand what your getting at with your post, though any herp virus not endemic to Australia, must invariably come from imported animals.

I'm not going to get into any arguments and I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but just wanted to say...what I DON'T LIKE about this site (and I'm sure it happens on others), too many people jumping up on their soapboxes. Almost every thread deteriorates into arguments here...lighten up people! Everyone has heard the arguments time and time before.

Imo this thread is getting old now all has been said and needs to be closed before it deteriorates further.

When i brought my breeding pair of Tawny Dragons i went to the guys house and he eagerly showed me his collection which was quite amazing however at the time i was about 13 or 14 so didn't have a whole heap of knowledge anyways he had an amazing Iguana and a Viper in his collection lol. At the time i was in awe of the Iguana and asked him why they wernt named on my license he told me he had some sort of special license? lol. But yea there would be loads of people who have Exotics and much much more diverse than corns. Not sure what type of viper it was as i was only 13 and at the time only cared about Lizards. Personally i would never get an exotic as i wouldn't take the risk of having my licensed reptiles taken off me also wouldn't want to pay a monster fine, however i can understand why people do it.

The reason there is no evidence is because there is little known on reptile diseases and what impact they may have on wild populations. The jury is still out on whether some of the retroviruses and inclusion body diseases turning up in captive collections are native or have been introduced on exotics.

A classic example of this though is in amphibians. Chytrid fungus was introduced on imported amphibians. It has caused the extinction of 7 species already in this country, 3 are bordering on the edge (1 may actually already be extinct) and dozens of others are endangered and still declining as a result. Up until 10 years ago, this disease was not even described.

:lol: I love these threads. You will no doubt get what you deserve, a slap on the wrist.
As far as I am aware there is NO evidence to show that any diseases have been introduced by illegally imported exotics or what is more likely in this case a snake that is probably 5th generation Australian.
Why is it as soon as an exotic is mentioned the soapbox comes out and we are told how the snake is going to wipe out all our natives and is more than likely carrying numerous diseases.
This isn't pro or anti exotics just commonsense, think before you post ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back