Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keelow

Reaction score
Hi guys

can anyone tell me if the mitchells water monitor has been added to the Vic fauna list?

If not is it under review??

I'm very keen to grab a couple.

Nez

Keelow,
Unfortunately for you, VIC keepers are unable to legally own Varanus mitchelli. There are only 8 monitor species on the VIC list and these are:
* Black-headed monitor (Varanus tristis)
* Lace monitor (Varanus varius)
* Mangrove monitor (Varanus indicus)
* Merten's Water monitor (Varanus mertensi)
* Pygmy Mulga monitor (Varanus gilleni)
* Ridge-tailed monitor (Varanus acanthurus)
* Sand Monitor (Varanus gouldii)
* Storrs monitor (Varanus storri)

Simon Archibald

On top of that, if you hold an advanced licence, you may keep Spencers monitor (Varanus spenceri). This is my understanding of the system anyway.

Simon Archibald

best thing to do is contact the department and ask them.

lol lol lol
Which dream world where that works did you come from??? :shock:

It's not on our list, that means you can't currently keep it. You won't find much else of use without asking the right people, and the right people probably know better than to say anything. You're not going to get anywhere by asking the department (but by all means, try calling them and see what they say ;) ). Don't hold your breath, nothing is definite and if it happens it probably won't be too soon.

i fail to see why the mangrove monitor is on there at all.
sees like theres at least a half dozen species that should be on there WAY before indicus

Nez

Re: RE: V. Mitchelli, VIC Permit???

Sdaji said:
best thing to do is contact the department and ask them.

lol lol lol
Which dream world where that works did you come from??? :shock:

It's not on our list, that means you can't currently keep it. You won't find much else of use without asking the right people, and the right people probably know better than to say anything. You're not going to get anywhere by asking the department (but by all means, try calling them and see what they say ;) ). Don't hold your breath, nothing is definite and if it happens it probably won't be too soon.

I'll let you know when the drugs wear off :)

RE: Re: RE: V. Mitchelli, VIC Permit???

I agree keelow. I think mitchelli, scalaris, kingorum, brevicauda, baritji, etc etc could easily make the list before indicus.

Simon Archibald

Even rosenbergi should be there. i mean come on.... we get them in victoria (although not many)

oh yeah, i can't keep mitchelli. haha, my bad. Well it looks like i will HAVE to get a mertensi :D :D
lol

we can keep crocs though so thats pretty cool. but i didnt even know we could keep indicus, thats awesome.

good luck finding one, and if you do it'll be upwards of $2000.

Nez

I'll let you know when the drugs wear off

Thanks. Let me know which drugs you're on too, so I know what to pay particular attention to my avoidance of.

;)

In Victoria there are only three sub species of Carpet Python - Bredlis, Diamonds and Coastals. Darwin and Vic carpets are commonly kept as Coastals. (This probably over simplifies the situaion but you get the gist.)

A similar situation exits for the childreni complex.

Looking at the list V. acanthurus is on the list but not the other (sub) species of ridge tailed monitors. If one was to import, say, a Northern Ridge Tailed Monitor whether it could go on the books as a "Ridge Tailed Monitor"?

I doubt this would help you with a mitchelli as it is fairly well recognised as a species in its own right.

It is also interesting to see V. indicus on the list. Colour wise I think this one of the most beautiful of our goannas.

The Northern Ridge-tail Monitor (Varanus primordius) is quite obviously different to V. acanthurus :: a much more similar species is the Black-spotted Ridge-tail Monitor (Varanus baritji).

I'm sure still that VIC authorities wouldn't allow it :-( Sorry to say for you guys.

Simon Archibald

Yeah Simon is right, common names are stupid and unreliable.

I guess Victorias system will eventually improve, but if not I guess you all are just going to need to move ;)

Yeah Simon is right, common names are stupid and unreliable.

I guess Victorias system will eventually improve, but if not I guess you all are just going to need to move ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back