Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmattyjayde

Reaction score
Hi there :D I'm new to the forum, just joined yesterday hehe.

Before I get to the questions I'll just tell you a bit about myself.. I'm a 16 year old girl from Sydney :p I had a hatchling diamond python about 4 years ago but only for a couple of weeks... He kept trying to 'eat' me so my Dad sold him! :? Now that I'm older and know a LOT more, I really want to get another because the urge just hasn't gone away! Didn't expect it to :p They're beautiful creatures and I admire them!
Living at home with my Mum, who doesn't really approve of the idea Lol but she'll let me get a python as long as I look after it and don't put it on her hehe.

Alrighty! Well I'm having a bit of a dilemma regarding what species, the heating, where to get an enclosure from once the python has grown up, and where to find a breeder near me for whatever species I choose! I've been researching for the last 3 or so years Lol so I know quite a lot, just want to hear it straight from experienced owners! :)

So first of all, what python would you recommend for a first/sort of second python owner?
I LOVE diamonds and would really like to get one of them, but if you don't think they would be suitable I will look into the other species!
I definately want to get a hatchling, so I can watch it grow up and I just love them when they're small Lol. I would also prefer a larger python (diamond or carpet) but I will consider the little ones too.

What sort of heating is best to use once the python goes into the large 'adult size' enclosure? I will be using a heat mat while the juvenile is in the Click Clack enclosure, but have heard that it is good to have a heat mat and a heat light in the large enclosure.
Also, what voltage, brand etc.
What do I put inside the enclosure to tell me the temperature and where in the enclosure should it be placed?
What is the recommended temperature for whatever species you think I should get?

I'm not the best 'handy man' Lol so I want to purchase the large enclosure already made and set up for a python with ventilation, locks, light/heat areas set up etc. Will definately consider any suitable second hand enclosures, but will look at new ones for now.
Would like a wooden enclosure with sliding glass doors at the front.

I need to find a breeder near me! I am in the Sutherland Shire area of Sydney.

Hmmmm.. This post is making me sound like a complete beginner I think! I can assure you that I know a fair bit about pythons, heating etc etc but like I said, I just want all the advice and opinions I can get from experienced keepers. :)

Also, I will be getting my license renewed so don't worry about that! Lol

Sorry about the long post everyone! Just want to make sure I know everything I possibly can before buying! :D

I would go for a centralian python (bredli) very nice sake.
I would use a fluro and a heat globe 40watts.Thats when it gets too big for the click clack.
Basic thermostat and a basic thermometer will do the job.
There should be plenty of hatchies avalible very soon.

Welcome to the site. As Im sure you'll find out, its better to ask questions and get answers than not know what you are doing :)
If you like the diamonds and coastals, there is really no reason to go for anything else as a beginner python unless you need a small snake (if you dont tell your mum its going to get to 8 feet there probably wont be a genuine 'need', lol). If you go with a diamond it is wise to provide it with UV, which can be its daytime heating, and a heatmat/cord wouldnt go astray either down there. You can get thermostats to regulate the temp, but dont trust the temps on them, get a themometre for the hot and cool ends, or just buy one and more it periodically to check the temps.

There will be plenty of others on here to provide you with info about breeders down your way and more relevant info, just give it a while. :)

Firstly congratulations on such an articulate first post. You seem like you know what you're doing and also that you're prepared to do the research involved which is a great first step to owning a python (again!).

It's hard to be impartial to what would be a good snake to start off with again because I absolutely adore Stimson's Pythons. My first (2) snake purchases were stimmies and I've remained extremely fond of them ever since.

I used a top heat source for my adult stimmie enclosures coupled with a thermostat. I keep the heat source down one end only and at the opposite end to the water dish. I set my thermostat (placed very near the heat source) to a max of 32C in the summer month. I let them cool down in the winter months considerably. A three foot enclosure would be plenty big enough for an adult Stimson's (or even a pair).

I'm sure others will have much more to add but I wanted just to reply to a few of your questions. Good Luck with your new python (whatever it may be) & welcome to the site! :)

Chanty79

Maybe your 1st step would be deciding whether you have the room to house an adult diamond if thats what you want =P. I wanted a diamond originally but turns out i really didn't have the room for it as an adult so i got a spotted.

lol well i think u covered just about EVERY aspect of snake care! lol. my advice to you would be to read read read and when ur done that read a bit more. There is no end to the amount of reading and knowledge u can do with herps

but to give u a basic idea, it really depends on what your after, bigger snakes often require bigger attention. by this i mean bigger enclosures, bigger food, bigger equipment in general. Im a big fan of the childreni group of snakes, they are a small breed and most dont get mroe then 4 ft full grown, this makes them great for someone your age as the tank doesnt have to be HUGE like it would with a jungle etc.

wat i did was found one that sounded good (small, fairly placid, etc) then google imaged it, if i didnt ilke the look i kept looking, once i found one i liked (the children's python) then i did lots of research on it. After u find the breed then its easier to look up what sort of equipment u will need for it. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies everyone! :D
All very good information which I will remember!

Hmmm I think it would be a better idea going with a smaller python as my first 'permanent' reptile. Thanks again to those of you who suggested that. :D
I don't think I would have any problem with a larger python, in regards to the enclosure and feeding etc, but I could always buy another larger one after getting used to owning a smaller one! Thats always better than selling an unsuitable large python then 'down-grading', if you get what I mean.

Going for a smaller python, I really like the Spotted pythons! :D I have heard and read quite a lot about them and they sound like what I wanted, just smaller. :p

Sound good?

ccmattyjaydd - spotteds are great, thats the species we got our daughter for her first.
Not saying that they are all the same but its got the most placid temperament.

Sounds good :D
And yep, definately know that they aren't all the same as sometimes you will a little terror and a little angel from the same breed!

Hmmmm, just another thought..

What about a carpet python??

I know that they are hardy and usually good for beginners.

What size enclosure do you keep an adult carpet python in?

I can't seem to slink away from the big ones.. :rolleyes:

:D

4 feet by 2 by 2 would be about minimum for me, but it all depends on your preferences (and how much they can acually utilise the space, like climb, etc).

Carpets are great; we have a male and female about 8 foot long, 3 yrs old. We were like you first timers and going to buy one juvenile, but ended coming home with two adults. They have great temperaments and are very easily handled Their enclosure was purpose built its 7 foot long 4 foot wide and 5 foot high. Split in the middle. So they each had their own enclosure. He is very happy in his space. But she prefers to live in the top of our wardrobe she hates being caged in, and had rubbed her front lip raw rubbing it back and forwards trying to get out of her enclosure, They both have free range of the house when we are at home to keep an eye on them.. My only advice would be to find a good breeder and vet we are lucky to have both. Any thing else you need to know you will find on this website everyone here has been an invaluable source of information. Mrs brentf 1 x bearded dragon, 2xcarpet pythons, 1x Galah 1x bird eating spider 2xginea pigs, lots of mice(snake food) tropical fish, GTF
1 teenager. (And still adding when I find the next unusual pet)

If you like diamonds get a diamond, they are generally as a rule placid.

Just make sure you research how to care for them properly as their set up is a little different to most other pythons. Its not harder, just different. Lower temps, UV etc.

I love my diamond and she was my first snake, I work for a reptile company and we generally use an adult diamond or a bredli when we do our shows.

Best thing i like about them is the way the start of as ugly ducklings and its exciting watching them get colour as they mature.

Wow Brentf, thats cool that your pythons have free range of the house when you are home!

I won't be buying any reptile until I am certain that the breeder is good, and I at least know of a good vet in my area that treats reptile. So no worries there! :D

Thanks for the info Miffy. I have been to quite a few Zoo's and animal/reptile parks and all of them used a diamond (and some others) for shows and demonstrations. None of them minded being passed around and held by kids etc Lol. :p

To be completely honest, the different sort of care does turn me off the Diamonds a bit. I'm sure I would have no problem with them at all but just to be safe, I think an easier or small one would be the best option as a first.
Doesn't really bother me, I think they're all beautiful! :p I've just always specifically liked Diamonds, not even sure why!

Soooo, my top choices would be Carpet's, Spotted's, Bredli's or Children's? Haven't really seen many Stimson's for sale around here (Although I'm sure there would be some somewhere), so I think those four are the ones I should be considering. :)

Will hunt down a couple of breeders near me to chat to!
Thanks for all your help everyone! :D

if u want a certain breed, you will be able to fidn someone selling it i have found. Even if you have to go interstate which isnt really a big deal. I am personally a big childreni fan. The care is easy and like u said diamonds have a few things that u have to take care of to avoid diamands syndrome. Spotties are very pretty also, so like i said before it really depends what look you like the best.

carpet's are great too, but they grow quite large so

CCMattyjayde - If you can manage a large enough enclosure for an adult of the species then go with what you like - in saying that, the best two beginner snakes are Murray Darling (MD) Carpets, and Bredli...both are very hardy in captivity and are (generally) very well tempered adults.

The smaller species (Stimsons, Childrens, Spotteds) are also great - however, have a tendency to be quite snappy as juveniles but calm right down as they mature...

In saying that though, regardless of what you get, you are likely to take a few bites - thats part and parcel of it - however, be reassured in knowing that a bite from a young snake doesn't hurt in the slightest...

...in regards to purchasing, track down a reputable breeder, freight is not difficult so don't be put off by where they are located...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back