Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starr9

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have never owned a snake before (have got my Licence) and im lost on what snakes I can own in QLD Aus!!! I want one that I doesn't mind being handled, will not get big and is good for 1st time owners!! I did here Corn snakes are great as 1st but have all so heard you can't have them in Aus. Is this true?? Any help would be AMAZING!! I don't have a set up yet as I want to select the breed 1st and set it up the best for that breed!!! PLEASE HELP!! Thank you!:D

Yeah can't have anything exotic in Australia...so if it's not native...you can't have it! edit: tas beat me too it ;P

what do you consider small? (with your saying something not big?) if 8ft or so is okay, then any carpet would be fine; just don't get olives or a scrub!
but if you want something small, you'd have to look into spotteds and childrens.

but you're just gonna get told "get whatever you like the look of and have the means to take care of"

cant beat a jungle python. Theres some fairly well priced ones around at the moment too

You should research the Childrens Python, wont be disappointed. They grow from about 80cm-1.5m good to handle if done regularly hardie and reasonably easy to care for and don't require a huge enclosure. Whatever you decide get something you like and research how to care for.

stimson python or childrens pythons are very easy to handle don't bite. Easy to feed and look after
the bigger there are the more you need to be prepared you will get a bite every now an again does not hurt to much it
i found if you get them younger the better cause they get use to you and how you feed them and what you feed them

Best advice you will get is find a snake you like the look of and research. Then get one from a good breeder. My first snake was a Gtp. And it went well.

Wow! thanks everyone! @ vampstorso, i think max 1.5m! Thank you all so much for you time and help!!!

How can you possibly say " doesn't bite?" I mean, really? You can NOT guarantee that. I love my Stimmie, he's awesome but he has bitten. ANY snake will/may bite you can't say they won't.

you'd likely be better off with spotteds and childrens then :) goodluck and enjoy!

what i mean is there alot less aggro than other snakes
I got a diamond and people say there not aggresive well i'd like them to see mine he bites me every time every snake is different just like people

Get a murray darling carpet :D

My first snake, only ever gotten bitten once properly.. that was the other night. My fault though :)
Great temperament and great starter snake i must say :)

1st snake

Get a darwin, or a jungle. they can get pretty big but. there great snakes. ive had my darwin for a few months now and iv only been bitted 4 times. and it dosnt hurt. but i only got bitten the first time i ever held it because the breeder didnt handel them therefore they wernt used to humans yet. he/she is great now. so plasid and calm :):p

if u want something not to big n a bit different to the childrens id say a woma i dont think they get to big but i could be wrong.i brought my woma when he was 4mnths old n he is so placide

There are hundreds of breeders now in Qld
Visit one and look at what they have
Then choose the one that feels right
Gut instincts are seldom wrong

Palmerston and Tully Jungle pythons are quite beautiful to most people and dont grow big

Just something to add that is a bit of a pet peeve of mine; it is species or subspecies NOT breed (breed is usually the same species but vastly different looks/sizes)

As most of the others have said, get something you like the look of. I got my first snake a few weeks ago (A Woma) she is so gentle and placid except at feeding time, they don't grow to big either. Would be my recommendation but then I'm biased.:p

If you want something under 1.5m then go for a Spotted, Childrens, Stimsons or Woma python. None of them are very large snakes, all are easy to care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back