24/7 heat or 12 hr heat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who heats there pythons 24/7 or heat off at night?

• 24/7 heat

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • heat off at night

Votes: 27 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TA1PAN

Reaction score
hey guys,

I am wondering who heats there pythons 24/7 and who turns there heat of at night?and the reasons why?

In another month or so I will turn heat off for the summer.No heat at all till temps start to drop again.I am in the Brisbane region.

depends what you have and where you live really but i live on the gold coast so its pretty warm here, so no heat at night, only for my young ones

i only offer my adults a basking spot in the morning for a few hours, all year round. except for the hot months if it is getting over 28 degrees in the house i dont offer a basking spot at all .try to copy what they do in the wild for each of the breeds and you will have a healthy snake.too much heat and they can develop health issues such as DPS that not only effects diamonds ,but other morelia subspecies as well.
cheers
simon

the snakes i keep inside dont have heating at night,overnight the lowest the house gets is probs 12. but the one that lives in the garage gets heating at night, cos it can get quite cold in there. in saying that iv only been at this new house for a few months so il see how the temps go with this summer.

I dont use night heat on most as they dont get heat in wild at night, if temps are to much different from there locale night temps then i may use a heat mat.

I use 24/7 with my Spotted. I keep an eye on temps at least twice a day, even with a dimmer thermostat.Is this correct for this type of python?
His temps are 34 at the hot end, down to 27 at the "pool" area. He does'nt have any problems and seems happy. No feeding,shedding,or other problems. Enclosure is 50cmWx40cmDeepx40cmH, with a heat lamp in the back corner over the hide.He prefers to sleep under a piece of driftwood half way across to the cool end.I was starting to wonder about temps with summer coming on.

yeah im the same i like to keep it as "natural" as possible so only heat in the day and lights off at night and heat off a couple hours after that..depending on temps that is cause im in brissy so alot of the time i just give them uva and uvb light

i only use night time heating for the juvies , everything else has no night heating [ all on timers]

I don't heat any herp at night, no matter what time of year. IMO it may cause a variety of problems... I'm in Sydney btw, and the room is usually on the warm side, doesn't get below about 12 degrees on the coldest winter night and warms up well during the day. I blast my pythons during the day and freeze them at night, feed only for 5 - 6 months of the year.

I don't heat any herp at night, no matter what time of year. IMO it may cause a variety of problems... I'm in Sydney btw, and the room is usually on the warm side, doesn't get below about 12 degrees on the coldest winter night and warms up well during the day. I blast my pythons during the day and freeze them at night, feed only for 5 - 6 months of the year.

i agree with JasonL.i'm a little concerned with the amount of people who keep their reptiles on 24 hour heat.i hope it is only as hatchies. they cope with freezing temps in the wild and are healthy for it,they will certainly cope with inside temperatures just about anywhere in australia without additional heating.i can see alot of peoples snakes having issues in the future.
research where they come from ,and use their average minimum winter temps as a guidline for how cold they can go.dont feel sorry for them ,them can handle it.only keep them on 24 hour heat if they are sick.
cheers
simon

Hi guys -I do not use any heat during the night.
Keeping reptiles is to reproduce the environment that they live in the wild and as many have said there is no heat once the sun goes down.
The snakes heat their body during the day and that maintains them through the night and remember, snakes are nocturnal moving around catching their prey to eat at night
Hatchies, in the wild, also live by day and night in regards to heat. Cheers

I'm switching mine to daytime heat only.If supplying daytime heat only,Do you use the standard reflector globe or go with reptile globes still?

i have a new enclosure and it is 3ftx2ftx2ft it has 3 vent one is very large and is just a bit smaller than the lenght of the tank it is a place to put a fluro so it is open and has mesh covering it also has 2 smaller vents on each end should i cover the large one up and just leave the other two i also live in the brissy area i am gettin a juvinile so will covering this vent help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back