Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4.9 metre snake probably was 'Big Mamma'

A 7 metre Scrub is about as likely as a 10 foot human..

They sexed it as a male so Big Mumma is still out there however big she is. I was pizzing myself watching it the one guy was so excited and Chris was near crapping himself. :lol:

I still though 16ft was a respectable scrubby all the same. The hatchy was cute as a button but not sure I want to own a snake that gets big enough to eat a wallaby... they might be a bit hard to source compared to rats. :shock:

Last edited:
The mother of my old scrubber was over 5 meters when she dropped the egg ball my scrubber hatched from, i only know this because she dropped 35 eggs and george cann wanted to know how big she was in relation to eggs produced and came and helped measure her. i havent measured my scrubber for over 5 years but her cage is 3 meters high and shes still got a meter on ground when shes climbing up the wall so i reckon 4.5 meters at 12 years old

Allow me to clarify..

How do they know that the 'monster snake' is a female?
Maybe they just decided to say it is a female because 'Big Daddy' sounds weird..

Females are usually bigger, but unless I am mistaken, the largest Scrubbie in the world is a 17 foot male up at Currumbin..
Also, people are not known for having the ability to accurately gauge the length of a snake..

All in all the myth of the 7 metre snake is just that, a myth..
Also, was the snake not caught in a yacht club meeting room, I bet a few of those yachtmen also like to fish... :lol:

As for Chris' opinion, it is completely invalid.
He knows absolutely nothing about reptiles, and I'm sorry, but I cannot take a man who gave a rabbit mouth-to-mouth seriously..

Not much clarification.

Seeing as they have seen the eggs and found a hatchy is pretty good reason to believe there is another snake there, especially considering the one they found was a male.
As you said, the females are usually bigger, so maybe it is possible if they are confident that the one they caught was much smaller.

Just because it is the only 17ft scrubby that you know about does not necassarily mean it is the worlds biggest, not everyone advertises what that have or how big it is.

A myth...maybe, time will tell I suppose, you can't really prove it either way I guess.

It still made very entertaining viewing. I was busy cracking up most of the way through and whether the other snake is there or not I found the 16ft male that they did measure by tape to be a VERY impressive specimen... I would not be in a hurry to try to grab one that big by the neck.

There would almost definitely be another snake there, but who says it's bigger than that male?
I have heard of quite a few Scrubbies over 18 feet.. But yet, no proof...
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a 18-20 foot Scrubbie, but I'm certainly not holding my breath..

I do believe they kept repeating 'IF it is 7m then...' The point of the effort was to try to find her and either confirm or deny her size. I have no doubt given the damage done to the ceiling she would be every bit as big as the one they did find.

I have always been told the males are bigger than the females... I know with my pair the male is around 3 foot longer than the female at the same age , only around 13-14 feet @ 3.5 years for the male, his head is almost double that of the female.

eeeek Im scared just thinking about it...think I will stick to my jungles........just a nice size and my 4 are sooks

I wonder why they smashed the ceiling instead of just getting up there and having a look?

its was only 6 inches to the roof and the ceiling was trashed from the mating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back