Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im in it for the money. if you pay my power bills ($1000-1200 a quarter) food bill ($400 a month if i dont breed my own) new and replacement equipment ($100 a month) theres lots more that i could write. but would you like to pay me for the outlay in buying my reptiles, enclosures, and please dont forget my time everyday of the year. yes that time involves nights when snakes are laying or eggs are hatching. also i should ad about the time it takes sending tyre kickers pictures and waiting for them to show up and waste time. but hey just forget about any breeder thats in it to watch the hobby grow and to see the look on your face when you get to hold one of our high profit snakes that we make huge amounts of money on

I must agree with Sandee 100% being a friend of Badens, owning some of his outstanding animals and seeing and knowing the effort he puts into his animals in regards to want sandee has mentioned, it's only about the passion not the profit (that is just a side bonus) that goes straight back into the collection.

One of the best things about him and a few others i really respect in this hobby and have sourced my entire collection from, is that they are OLD SCHOOL herpers who its all about the animals and gaining and sharing their many years of experience.

The end results from this are the quality animals you now see being produce and offered to us. DOn't forget the years of effort that has gone into these types of animals so the new herpers of today don't have to do the leg work and can enhance the great job already done by these people.

At the end of the day if your want the best you will pay more than the average and if you think the animal that appeals to you is worth it, you'll buy it. You shouldn't critise the dedicated people that have put the time and effort in to save you that time and effort to be where they are at.

Hats off to the old school herpers. keep up the good work :)

and slats that a stupid statement................

While we are discussing money I will put in my 2 bobs worth.

If solar 17 ever covers costs for initial outlays and is lucky enough to "make" a few dollars extra, that is entirely his business.
We have here a man totally devoted to his animals, their comfort, diet and living conditions are his main interest
and when they breed well and produce beautiful healthy exceptional babies ....that is his reward
I know this man cares and give back to the hobby far more than he recieves including appreciation for his input

Argue with me becoz you won't win all you "knockers" because of people like solar 17 there are healthy decent animals available for you to perhaps be lucky enough to own. Enjoy the experience of meeting one of the true dedicated herpetologists left today

Cheers
Sandee :)

!00% agree with you Baden, I am also one of those making mega money :lol:.
What about those decades we spent learning and improving keeping / breeding techniques before internet and decent reptile literature? The truth is, if I saved all the money I spent on reptile keeping over the last 40 years I would be well off today .... but when it comes to enjoyment and knowledge, I would be that much poorer. At least we feel that we have achieved something - the knockers are nobodies and no one needs them

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this so called challenge about finding someone/anyone making dollars OR just about finding Baden making dollars?
It's getting pretty personal considering he just wanted proof of ANYONE profitting big $$ from the hobby. Alot of defence for the poster lol

If you put the effort in then there's nothing wrong with making some money out of your collection. But don't be a little girl and pretend you don't care about the money, because if you didn't you either wouldn't breed or you would give all your off spring away without charge (that'sa generic statement at everyone, not a stab at you Baden).

What i really don't like is folks buying reptiles as an investment. I think if ur spending money you've made or found outside of this hobby (like mortgaging your house to buy albinos) on reptiles then you are going to be disapointed.

Yeah...solar 17 is an investor......investing in the future of herpetology :)

He shares his well researched knowledge and loves to share when something "nice" pokes its little head out of the egg or there's a photo of a beautiful animal for us to see

Just for the record he doesn't drive a flash car, works full time and doesn't live in the ritzy part of town

Cheers

Is this so called challenge about finding someone/anyone making dollars OR just about finding Baden making dollars?
It's getting pretty personal considering he just wanted proof of ANYONE profitting big $$ from the hobby. Alot of defence for the poster lol

He shares his well researched knowledge and loves to share when something "nice" pokes its little head out of the egg or there's a photo of a beautiful animal for us to see

Just for the record he doesn't drive a flash car, works full time and doesn't live in the ritzy part of town

Cheers

Back to Baden lol
Does this mean no-one is in it for the money then?

Cheers

So if you drive a flash car and breed reptiles that makes you a bad person? I bought a car out of reptile money one year, it was pretty flash...

Back to Baden lol
Does this mean no-one is in it for the money then?

I am merely airing my views on the person I can vouch for in this case.

And of course there are many people in the hobby purely for the investment returns...(please don't be naive :)

Cheers

I breed a few snakes but actually hate selling them. I'd much rather give them away or swap them, but the reality is i cant afford to. My rodent bill is around $10 000 a year, and my electricity bill is always over $2000 a quarter. Then theres the fact my entire weekend is spent cleaning cages......

So i need to sell at least $20 000 worth of snakes just to break even.....and thats not even including the costs of buying new racks and tubs. Not an easy thing to do when you consider that the species i keep are amongst the cheapest. But i'm not whinging as i choose to do it, and i'm doing something i love.

IMO, it means no-one is making money, not the sort of money many knockers believe breeders are making.

So because Baden and yourself isn't cashing up it means nobody is?
Even John Wiegel (with his 24k pair of roughies at the time) was & is just covering costs like the rest of us. Tim Mensforth & Roy Pails only make enough to put food on the table & cover rent on their shops each week. Pleaseeeeeee, I have bred and made some nice figures from the hobby over the years, more then just covering costs and I bred on a pretty small scale. I find it hard to believe that not 1 single person makes & enjoys making profit from their hobby lol

What about those decades we spent learning and improving keeping / breeding techniques before internet and decent reptile literature?

Of course this was well before the "knockers" were a twinkle in their daddys eye :) LOL

Cheers

I can agree with Baden on this one, i myself do make money on breeding stuff and high end geckos, but i would put just as much back in to the hobby in no time, with power bills, feed bills and time. I do it for the love of the animals, making a return is a bonus that helps out.

I can agree with Baden on this one, i myself do make money on breeding stuff and high end geckos, but i would put just as much back in to the hobby in no time, with power bills, feed bills and time. I do it for the love of the animals, making a return is a bonus that helps out.

And that investment (I will call it additional outlay if investment offends you) being put back into your hobby is to reap further financial gain with following breeding seasons. More stock = more breeding = more profit, whether intentional or not. Of course you want to expand your hobby, not saying it is greed BUT further financial gain is inevitable when you expand correct?.

Anyway point is you said it yourself you make more then just covering costs so regardless of where you spend that money you are making it right? Just because you spend the money or put it back into where it came dosn't make it non existent lol. You still made the profits huh

So because Baden and yourself isn't cashing up it means nobody is?
Even John Wiegel (with his 24k pair of roughies at the time) was & is just covering costs like the rest of us. Tim Mensforth & Roy Pails only make enough to put food on the table & cover rent on their shops each week. Pleaseeeeeee, I have bred and made some nice figures from the hobby over the years, more then just covering costs and I bred on a pretty small scale. I find it hard to believe that not 1 single person makes & enjoys making profit from their hobby lol

Those you mentioned are running business - they have to make profits otherwise they go under. I thought this debate was about hobby breeders. Of course we all enjoy making money, that's in our nature but I go along with Baden's post - show us those who are making fortune from breeding / selling reptiles (except for those registered businesses).

Those you mentioned are running business - they have to make profits otherwise they go under. I thought this debate was about hobby breeders. Of course we all enjoy making money, that's in our nature but I go along with Baden's post - show us those who are making fortune from breeding / selling reptiles (except for those registered businesses).

It is still an expanded hobby, especially in the snake ranches case considering NSW governing laws forbid commercial business for reptile sales.
Anyway they started off just like you and me a hobbyist at home. Do you think they finally opened a business for the joy? or the money? or both? I think both.

Define a fortune?
Is 120k enough?
240k? 360k? How much profit needs to be made before you consider it to be making enough money to be considered debateable here?

Last edited:
I don't make any money, I have bearly touched the sides of money I've put in, and I consistantly have orders over 1k for new equipment (thermostats and heat cords are the most common things), and that's at reduced prices because I've spent so much.

Allthough I don't bred any 'high end' herps, but I have no problem with people making money or trying to, good luck to em, at the end of the day everyone would love to cover costs, and some profit doens't make you the devil.

Last edited:
And that investment (I will call it additional outlay if investment offends you) being put back into your hobby is to reap further financial gain with following breeding seasons. More stock = more breeding = more profit, whether intentional or not. Of course you want to expand your hobby, not saying it is greed BUT further financial gain is inevitable when you expand correct?.

Anyway point is you said it yourself you make more then just covering costs so regardless of where you spend that money you are making it right? Just because you spend the money or put it back into where it came dosn't make it non existent lol. You still made the profits huh

Hey pal, i agree with you yes i do make money but i am not about to throw my fulltime job away for breeding herps. I can see wat your trying to say but it doesnt suit every keeper. Sure some out there make big bucks but i am sure the outlay would have been huge, and i dont think everybody does it for money just my opinion.

Hi Ya

Just thought id put my bib in
One day I hope to be able to breed snakes......if I am lucky enough to find the right animals I think would be worthy of having a clutch from. I actually breed Staffy's and the result is the same. By the time you pay Vets bills and food bedding and other equipment, plus i used to show as well....if you can manage to cover just some of the bills to offset the cost of the hobby and I mean SOME of the bills you are doing really well. I remember last year adding up what everything had cost me and what I had made in dogs and talking to a friend of mine who has been breeding for 25 years and saying, I have managed to cover off the transport of my dogs (from aus to uk and back again) the cost of my whelping box heat pad etc for breeding and what the dogs cost me and at the moment I am only $2500 DOWN. Mind you that doesnt include showing fees, food vets bills and incidentals which I dont even bother to count. She said to me...you are doing extremely well most people would be further behind than that.

So anyoone who thinks that you go into breeding animals for money....forget it now !!!!!!! If you can break even so that you can offset the cost of your own hobby you are doing extremely well !!

Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back