Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth_GoC

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just signed up to this website the other day and have been familiarising myself with everything on here. I am very impressed with the massive amount of support that everyone gives.

Basically I have been wanting to get my hands on a pet snake for just under 2 years now. Stupidly I have moved to WA and I see that it is impossable to get my hands on a snake that a realy want (Jungle Python, Morelia s. cheynei) so I shall have to settle for next best thing, a South-western Carpet Python, Morelia s. imbricata.

I have several weeks to get everything together (waiting for my licence) so I am ready to purchase the little fella and keep him (or her) happy once in my home. So I was wondering if you could all give me a little advise as to exactly what I will need to know and buy so that I don't do any damage to the starter of my hopefully large collection of these wonderfull creatures.

Also on a side note does anyone know if it is possable to import snakes in from America? The reason I ask is it is my dream to one day have a Albino Burmese Python. :D

Cheers,
Seth

there are a few junglys for going around for sale most ppl will ship em to you, you will have to pay a little extra for that though. check the links on this site for a bargain.

as for the burmese, im guessing you'd have to get a zoo for one of those babys

Gday Seth

Straight to the Burmese Python - no chance.

As for your 1st Python, i rekin going with a South Western Carpet is probabley a better option anyway (Jungles tend to have a bit of a stroppier attitude)

Best next bet for you would be to grab a good book. Mike Swans "Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons" will answer plenty of your questions.

No importing of overseas reptiles:( so sad but at the same time keeps our beautiful animals safe so is all good.

Sounds like a good choice of snake.

next choice you have to make is if u get on as a baby (hatchy) or adult. benefits of a baby is that they are small and u can get used to them as they grow, also they only need to like in a small plastic tub so makes the cage issue easier.

you will need to have a heat mat under 1/3 of the tub and the heat mat needs to be connected to a thermostat to regulate the temps. temps should be about 30 - 32 degrees hot end and room temp on the other end. will need to provide a hide or 2. water bowl and a substrate, newspaper works well when they're little.

and u will need to feed it about once a week. maybe every 5 or 6 days when its younger.

so i think thats about it. very easy to take care of.

also remeber when u first get it to let it settle in for 5 or so days. leave for at least 2 days after feeding so all food is digested. and try to keep handling to a minimum.

good luck and hope it all goes well.:)

Now I am even more impressed, not even half an hour and I have a huge amount of information to work from. Thanks ladies and gents.

I personally would prefer the carpet to be as young as possable so I would say I was chasing a hatchling. In saying that I know most of you are on the East Coast but I was wondering if any of you would know any South-western Carpet Python Breeders that you would reccomend because for some reason am not that keen to buy from a pet store.

The handleing will be a challenge for me because I will be so excited when i first purchase it but I can hopefully control myself. As for the leaving it for 2 days after feeding, that is new news for me can there actually be damage done to the python if it is handled after feeding?

Lastly (for now), if for whatever reason the python decides to bite me what is the safest way to get the wee snapper off me without hurting him/her?

Thanks again for the support guys.

Cheers,
Seth

Yeah definetly damage can be done if handled straight after feeding. The snake can regurgitate the rodent if handled right after being fed. Some people have snakes that they handel right after a feed and are fine but generally speaking its best to leave them be. They will generally stay in the hot spot of your enclosure for a few days as the heat helps them digest the food. Once the lump is completley gone you can handle but be warned if they haven't gone to the toilet you run the high risk of copping a turd.:D Who knows why but they seem to enjoy doing there business when being handled.
Also usually they will just tag you meaning strike and release in a split second but if they latch on try putting its head under a cold running tap for a second and they usually release.

there are a few junglys for going around for sale most ppl will ship em to you, you will have to pay a little extra for that though. check the links on this site for a bargain.

Its illegal to import into WA as far as i know.

That is what I was told so this is why I went for the South-western Carpet Python.

Talking of turds I have heard that they are uber stinky, is this true? Not that it matters.

I have heard that too but my blonde macs dont really stink, well not that I have noticed, thank god because I have a super weak stomach.

well i think all your questions have been covered, but in regards to handling after they've been fed, it just comes down to the individual. some of my babies are happy as larry to be handled after feeding, others just want a hot rock and dark corner. but with a hatchie its best to leave them be...

be careful to check with whatever state you might be going back to *cough* as there are different licencing systems in each state and you'll have to make sure you wont be getting something that you cant take home again... fyi

hope that helps! and we'll all want picks of your hatchie when you get it!

Thank you for the sites VixenBabe they are very helpfull.

I shall definately leave the wee fella once fed then, cheers for the heads up.

As for the not being able to move interstate, the information that I recieved from a lady working for the Queensland Government in the EPA, was that it wouldn't be a problem to move from WA to QLD because the restrictions was only in WA due to IBD (Inflamitary Bowel Desease) but once I have moved to QLD there is no comeing back to WA with my wee snapper. I shall get this all clarified from CALM when I hand in my application for my reptile licence. So fear not shooshoo there is still hope of my return yet. Also I will have to make sure I have the QLD licence aswell as my WA licence to move interstate with.

I hope this information is usefull for others aswell.

Cheers,
Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back