A. perthensis not allowed to be kept in WA, why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orsm

Reaction score
Does anyone know why A.perthensis cannot be legally kept in WA? I have always assumed that because A.perthensis originate from WA, they can be kept by private keepers (when legally acquired). I was a bit confused by this news when told by a snake catcher from WA. :roll:

I think that maybe when they wanted Reptiles to be kept as 'pets', someone forgot to give a full list of them to the minister.

There's only like 41 species 'keepable' in WA.

I think WA parks and wildlife want to promote the illegal trade in reptiles by creating (Diamond Producing) tight regulations. They have created a very confusing yes you can/no you can't system. Yes it's good that Sandgropers can keep some herps now, but fair dinkum they need to lighten up a bit. JMO.

CALM considered that A. perthensis (pygmy python) would be a problem because the hatchlings are so small they would need lizards to get them going, and as all lizards are protected, you can't feed a protected species to another animal.

I was part of the group which negotiated with CALM for 8 years to get a system in place in WA, and the system we ended up with bears little resemblance to that we envisaged during discussions in that time.

We were promised an effective review after approx 12 months of operation, with consideration being given to species lists, costs and general operational aspects. CALM has not taken these issues any further at this time, and apart from a couple of completely ineffective "consultative committee" meetings (of which I remain a member...) is not keen to consider any further liberating of the system as it exists at the moment.

CALM was dragged kicking and screaming into establishing the system in WA, mainly because we had the support of their political masters, but they have done it in a way which is extremely limited and very expensive, and very complex with regard to returns etc. If you want changes made to the system in WA, enlist the support of your politicians with some well made arguments. But it takes a long time... I left WA for a number of reasons, one of which (and probably the most important one) was that I see no future for expert reptile keeping in that state at this stage. And I just got tired of the way CALM bullies reptile keepers in WA. There are some good and pragmatic people in CALM, but their voices are muted if they look like supporting reptile keepers.

5 species of python - SW carpets, olives, blackheadeds, womas and Stimson's - are allowed to be kept in WA, with Stimson's being removed from the wild in their thousands, and huge destruction of certain habitats by clowns with crowbars with far more interest in money than the reptiles they collect... No python imports allowed into WA because of the threat of IBD and OPMV, both of which have been identified in WA collections anyway...

Wow, that got me onto my soapbox early in the morning eh? Seriously, for reptile keepers in WA, CALM is at best unhelpful, and at worst bullying and threatening.

Jamie.

Jamie
Are you prepared to name here people you know of, that are destroying habitat .
If this is indeed happening, where is it happening ? I certainly haven't seen evidence of it up here yet. I have heard storys of habitat destruction in the wheat belt area however.
I believe if these persons or person are publicly exposed then may be they may not have so many willing customers. I certainly would not buy reptiles off any body that I knew was wrecking habitat.
Having said this, I suppose there might defamation issues to consider unless proved.

If WA residents can't keep A. perthensis, does it automatically imply that they can't be legally caught and sold to other states?

What about existing WA keepers who have had A.perthensis before the laws were passed? Can these be exported?

We can't keep them in Victoria either. Those held in Victoria on "grandfather" clauses are not to be sold, exported, bred, etc.

Apparently they can be kept in NSW and Qld. Does anyone have any further information on where they can be legally kept and bred?

Pete.

I know they are legally kept and bred in America :D

I would just love to have a pair of them! I just love the children variety.

i dont think we are allowed to keep them in qld

correct me if i m wrong
nick

They can't be legally collected in WA, but a few people hold them on exhibitor's licences (Reg 16) in WA, and they are occasionally bred. These animals may be disposed of interstate (there is no legal market in WA)... but there is a long waiting list, and they onl have small clutches - 2 or 3 eggs generally.

Jamie

wow, that is a tiny clutchwonder what 1 would set you back

was thinking they would be $1000-$2000

theres a few people in qld that legally keep them.

Krusty- pythons allowed:

Stimsons python
South Western Carpet Python
Olive Python
Black Headed Python

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

DOH!
I had a feeling I forgot one- thats why I said someone correct me!

I want a BHP or 50 in the future...so a cat 4 is a MUST for me :D

I am in the same boat. Waiting until i can upgrade to cat4 from cat3. It's a long wait!

Would love to grab one of the womas that p/pythons have for sale...but alas. I must wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back