Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bellow is from MON

"Just to let every know that i have been calling the Bill Marmion, and John Bowler, (well their assistants at least) and am still trying to get something done. Bill Marmion's assistant stated that they are about 1 week to a few days away from delivering a response. With any luck lets hope that its favourable.

If anyone wants their local ministers number just google it.
Bill Marmion's is 9220 5000
and John Bowlers's is 9021 6766 his assistant is Georgina. This is for Goldfields people.

email's is 1 thing, phone calls is another. Start the calls and maybe we can get further, even if it is just to stop the annoyance.

MON "

i hope something happens im dieing for an amyae =P ive sent 2 emails which is prob enough. hopefully we get a good response in the next week or so =)

The response will most likely just state that they are aware of the need for a review and that they will work with WAHS to do so. Just my opinion. It will take a lot of pressure and time to see change.

I will say that because of all of the letters and support from everyone who sent emails and letters, the WAHS has received a response from the Minister (in regards to their submission) in record time. It has put some weight behind our cause and we all (West Australian reptile keepers) are very greatful to those that have sent letters. When you all finally receive a response from the Minister I would encourage you to send your own reply to keep pressure on the department.
Thanks again to all who have sent letters and to those that are about to. (If you haven't please do so!. The more they get from different people the bigger the push to do something.)
Kind regards
Trent, WA reptile keeper :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this e-mail response from Sally Talbot today...

[FONT=&amp]Dear Ms ************,[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thank you for your recent email regarding the reptile keeping system in Western Australia.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I appreciate your interest in the issue and for bringing it to my attention. Please be assure I will be closely monitoring the Minister for Environment and his actions, or otherwise, on this issue.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If you feel it is appropriate, I would be interested in receiving a copy of his response to your correspondence when you receive it. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]In the meantime, if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Regards, Sally[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

I've also sent her a link to this thread encouraging her to come to APS and actually address the issues that have been voice here.
Let's cross our fingers that she is able to get a good grasp on the situation and reason for the discontent.
[/FONT]

This is the Minister's response to me:

Dear Ms *****
Thank you for your emails dated 8 September and 12 October 2011 regarding
the native reptile keeping system in Western Australia.
Native reptile keeping has been operating in Western Australia only since the

promulgation of the Wildlife Conservation (Reptiles and Amphibians) Regulations
2002. Western Australia is estimated to have over 500 native species of reptiles,
with about
40 per cent of these found nowhere else. Unfortunately there are threats to wild
reptile conservation related to operating a licensed reptile keeping system,
including the potential for transfer of diseases and parasites into wild populations
and the potential for increased demand for taking specimens from the wild.
The establishment and operation of the private reptile keeping licensing system
has been done in conjunction with advice from reptile enthusiasts, scientists and
wildlife conservation experts. The restrictions in place are necessary to balance
the needs of reptile enthusiasts and acceptable standards for reptile
conservation.
found their way from these institutions into the pet trade. Western Australia has
no role to play in the decisions of other jurisdictions. I understand that other
reptiles kept in the eastern states may have been obtained illegally in Western
Australia. Neither of these situations necessarily provides the grounds for an
expanded list of reptiles able to be kept in this State.
I understand that some endemic Western Australian reptiles are kept as pets in
the eastern states, however the Department of Environment and Conservation
(DEC) has not approved the export of any species of frogs and reptiles for pet
keeping purposes that are not listed as pet herpetofauna. I have been advised
that it appears that some reptiles approved for export for scientific research have
You may be interested to note that the vast majority of reptile keepers, about
77 per cent of licensees , hold only one species , with about 54 per cent holding only one
animal.
DEC has already relaxed the requirement in relation to returns from quarterly to annual
returns for keepers and is examining the possibility of a modest expansion to the reptile
keeping list and a relaxation of current breeding controls
. These considerations are
being progressed over the coming year, if they can be achieved without significant
conservation risk. Consequently I see no need for a separate, additional review.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.
Yours sincerely
HON BILL

MARMION MLA
MINISTER FOR ENVIRONMENT; WATER

I just received this email reply...

Dear Ms ********

Thank you for your email dated 8 September 2011 regarding the native reptile keeping system in Western Australia.
Native reptile keeping has been operating in Western Australia since the promulgation of the Wildlife Conservation (Reptiles and Amphibians) Regulations 2002.
Western Australia is estimated to have over 500 native species of reptiles, with about 40 per cent of these found nowhere else. Unfortunately there are threats to wild reptile conservation related to operating a licensed reptile keeping system, including the potential for transfer of diseases and parasites into wild populations and the potential for increased demand for taking specimens from the wild.
The establishment and operation of the private reptile keeping licensing system has been done in conjunction with advice from reptile enthusiasts, scientists and wildlife conservation experts.
The restrictions in place are necessary to balance the needs of reptile enthusiasts and acceptable standards for reptile conservation.
I understand that some endemic Western Australian reptiles are kept as pets in the eastern states, however the Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC) has not approved the export of any species of frogs and reptiles for pet keeping purposes that are not listed as pet herpetofauna.
I have been advised that it appears that some reptiles approved for export for scientific research have found their way from these institutions into the pet trade. Western Australia has no role to play in the decisions of other jurisdictions.
I understand that other reptiles kept in the eastern states may have been obtained illegally in Western Australia. Neither of these situations necessarily provides the grounds for an expanded list of reptiles able to be kept in this State.

You may be interested to note that the vast majority of reptile keepers, about 77 per cent of licensees hold only one species, with about 54 per cent holding only one animal.
DEC has already relaxed the requirement in relation to returns from quarterly to annual returns for keepers and is examining the possibility of a modest expansion to the reptile keeping list and a relaxation of current breeding controls.
These considerations are being progressed over the coming year, if they can be achieved without significant conservation risk. Consequently I see no need for a separate, additional review.

Yours sincerely

HON BILL MARMION MLA
10OCT201

Well looks like he copy-pasted his replies...

Just sent a letter to the shadow minister, as she seems a little more keen to help us out than the above. Suggest you guys do the same and send your responses, I'll post the details again

Hon. Dr Sally Elizabeth Talbot MLC
Shadow Minister for Environment; Climate Change;
[email protected]
Shop 21 Meadow Springs Shopping Centre
25 Meadow Springs Drive
MANDURAH WA 6210

Well looks like he copy-pasted his replies...

Just sent a letter to the shadow minister, as she seems a little more keen to help us out than the above. Suggest you guys do the same and send your responses, I'll post the details again

Hon. Dr Sally Elizabeth Talbot MLC
Shadow Minister for Environment; Climate Change;
[email protected]
Shop 21 Meadow Springs Shopping Centre
25 Meadow Springs Drive
MANDURAH WA 6210

Yes, she certainly seems to be more concerned judging by her response to my e-mail.
I also sent her the Minister's 4 line computer generated non-response as she requested.

I got the feeling the lady is a tenacious tiger.

Reply to Bill Marmion as well. If he has not addressed your concerns and cc Sally in on the response. He can't send a standard response when you have your own specific letter.

Maybe it's the female touch? Bill kind of seems a little cold and brainwashed about the whole situation, Sally seems to actually care about what is happening.

I still can't believe he's saying that some of WA's animals that were exported and are being kept over east were obtained illegally! It's almost like he's making excuses for the DEC....

And if you think about it, people only holding one species is because there's bugger all to choose from....They (DEC) catered to the minimum of one preferable species for a keeper, therefore why would there be a huge variety in what people own??? If you really feel like paying for a license and getting something you really don't want for a year just to be able to pay more and get the one thing you do want, which then costs you an arm and a leg because there aren't enough nice tame C/Bs out there, sure, I guess there could be more people who own more than one critter out there. I mean really, how can people own more than the four 'cheaper' python species? There is ONLY FOUR what do you honestly expect???? Barely anyone is going to pay $300 a year for a python that will pull an enormous power bill and cost half of what your car did to buy a nice one because there aren't any calm ones for sale!

Last edited:
Bellow some ideas for responses:

Thank you for your email dated 8 September 2011 regarding the native reptilekeeping system in Western Australia.
Native reptile keeping has been operating in Western Australia since thepromulgation of the Wildlife Conservation (Reptiles and Amphibians) Regulations2002.
Western Australia is estimated to have over 500 native species of reptiles,with about 40 per cent of these found nowhere else. Unfortunately there arethreats to wild reptile conservation related to operating a licensed reptilekeeping system, including the potential for transfer of diseases and parasitesinto wild populations and the potential for increased demand for takingspecimens from the wild.

We don't need to take from the wild. Thereare sufficient captive populations in the eastern states to supply the pet trade in WA. He mentions the risk of "potential for increased demand fortaking specimens from the wild. Yet when WAHS asked to have certain animals taken off the wild collecting list, DEC refused and made sure wild taking was still allowed. It makes them money of course. The only animals we can not import are pythons...

Theestablishment and operation of the private reptile keeping system has been donein conjunction with advice from reptile enthusiasts, scientists and wildlifeconservation experts.
Their so called expert was in court and could not identify 5 snakes. This was on a smuggling case and the expert was discredited.

Therestrictions in place are necessary to balance the needs of reptile enthusiastsand acceptable standards for reptile conservation.
What are the risks? We currently have Nephrurus Levis on the list. If they were to add the rest of the sub species of Nephrurus and they can be obtained from captive stock what risks are there? Surely no greater risk than the Nephrurus levis that is already on the list.

I understandthat some endemic Western Australian reptiles are kept as pets in the easternstates, however the Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC) has notapproved the of any species of frogs and reptiles for pet keeping purposes thatare not listed as pet herpetofauna.
I have beenadvised that it appears that some reptiles approved for export for scientificresearch have found their way from these institutions into the pet trade.Western Australia has no role to play in the decisions of other jurisdictions.
I understand that other reptiles kept in the eastern states may have beenobtained illegally in Western Australia. Neither of these situationsnecessarily provides the grounds for an expanded list of reptiles able to bekept in this State.
I have to disagree. It shows that theanimals make suitable captive pets. It also shows that there is no need forwild taking. The question is what are the grounds you Minister Marmion are refusing to give us the same rights as the rest of Australia. And keep the same animals, that come from this state?

You may beinterested to note that the vast majority of reptile keepers, about 77 per centof licensees hold only one species, with about 54 per cent holding only oneanimal.
So really aren't you over exagerating the risks if most people wont keep many reptiles?
DEC has already relaxed the requirement in relation to returns from quarterlyto annual returns for keepers and is examining the possibility of a modestexpansion to the reptile keeping list and a relaxation of current breedingcontrols.
I don't consider having to sell through adealer or limiting the number of clutches a keeper can sell in one year relaxation of control. Abolish the controls all together and promote captive breeding in the hoby over wild taking.

Theseconsiderations are being progressed over the coming year, if they can beachieved without significant conservation risk. Consequently I see no need fora separate, additional review.
The need for a separate additional review stems from the biased treatment found in your department. When your head zoologist tells the Herp Society representitives that reptiles are the currency of criminals it is obvious we need an indipendant review of the system. Perhaps a Royal commission into all of DEC. We have the most expensive reptile licensing in Australia. And there is talk of it going up in price. When compared to the bird keeping system in WA it is clear that we are being unfairly treated.

Yours sincerely

HON BILL MARMION MLA
10OCT201

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems all go since that call though. Lol maybe it finally hit the button. How many others also called those numbers?
I also recieved the below for John Bowler.

"Hi Aaron

Sorry for not getting back to your earlier email though I can’t recall receiving it.

You may have noted I’ve copied in Graham Jacobs as he is the local member for Coolgardie, when the boundary changed after the last election. Graham will no doubt respond and I will back him up if he needs any support in approaching a minister.

Regards

John Bowler

Member for Kalgoorlie"

Does anyone have a list of the WA endemics that we cannot keep but the eastern states can? A poll showing who in WA would keep what if we were allowed might make a nice email. (Not a 'wish list' but what we would seriously go out and buy).

WA animals on the NSW keepers list.

Antaresia childreni* - Children's Python
Antaresia stimsoni Stimson's Python
Antaresia perthensis* - Pygmy Python
Aspidites melanocephalus - Black-Headed Python
Aspidites ramsayi* - Woma
Boiga irregularis - Eastern Brown Tree Snake
Boiga irregularis fusca* - Northern Brown Tree Snake
Chelodina oblonga - Oblong Snake-Necked Turtle
Christinus marmoratus -* Marbled Southern Gecko
Ctenophorus nuchalis - Central Netted Ground-Dragon
Ctenophorus pictus -* Painted Ground-Dragon
Ctenotus robustus* - Robust Ctenotus
Delma tincta* - Excitable Delma
Demansia psammophis -* Yellow-Faced Whipsnake
Dendrelaphis punctulatus - Green Tree Snake
Egernia inornata-* Unadorned Desert-Skink
Egernia kingie -* King's Skink
Egernia stokesii* - Gidgee Spiny-Tailed Skink
Elseya dentata - Northern Snapping Turtle
Eremiascincus fasciolatus -* Narrow-Banded Sand-Swimmer
Eremiascincus richardsonii* - Broad-Banded Sand-Swimmer
Furina ornata Orange-Naped Snake
Gehyra australis -* Top-End Dtella
Gehyra variegata - Varied Dtella
Hemiaspis signata - Marsh Snake
Hemidactylus frenatus - House Gecko
Heteronotia binoei - Prickly Gecko
Heteronotia spelea - Cave Prickly Gecko
Lialis burtonis - Burton's Snake-Lizard
Liasis fuscus - Water Python
Liasis olivaceus - Olive Python
Lophognathus gilberti -* Gilbert's Lashtail
Lophognathus longirostris* - Long-Snouted Lashtail
Lophognathus temporalis* - Swamplands Lashtail
Lucasium damaeum -* Beaded Gecko
Morelia spilota imbricata* - Western Carpet Python
Morelia spilota variegate -* Top End Carpet Python
Nephrurus amyae* - Centralian Rough Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus asper* - Prickly Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus laevissimus* - Pale Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus levis -* Three-Lined Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus levis levis* - Smooth Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus levis occidentalis -
Nephrurus levis pilbarensis - Smooth Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus sheai - Kimberley Rough Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus stellatus Stellate - Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus wheeleri* - Banded Knob-tail Gecko
Oedura filicipoda -* Fringe-Toed Velvet Gecko
Oedura marmorata -* Marbled Velvet Gecko
Pogona henrylawsoni -* Black-Soil Bearded Dragon
Pogona minima -* Western Bearded Dragon
Pogona minor -* Western Bearded Dragon
Pogona mitchelli -* North-West Bearded Dragon
Pygopus lepidopodus -* Southern Scaly-Foot
Pygopus nigriceps* - Western Scaly-Foot
Pygopus schraderi* - Eastern Hooded Scaly-Foot
Strophurus ciliaris -* Northern Spiny-Tailed Gecko
Strophurus intermedius -* Southern Spiny-Tailed Gecko
Tiliqua rugosa -* Shingleback Lizard
Tiliqua scincoides* - Common Bluetongue
Underwoodisaurus milii* - Thick-tailed Gecko
Varanus acanthurus Ocellate* - Ridge-Tailed Monitor
Varanus gilleni* - Pygmy Mulga Monitor
Varanus gouldii* - Sand Monitor
Varanus tristis* - Black-tailed Monitor
Chelodina steindachneri* - Flat-Shelled Snake-Necked
Chlamydosaurus kingii* - Frilled Lizard
Ctenophorus cristatus* - Crested Bicycle-Dragon
Ctenophorus isolepis* - Military Sand-Dragon
Ctenotus pantherinus* - Leopard Ctenotus
Ctenotus pantherinus ocellifer -* Leopard Ctenotus
Diplodactylus conspicillatus -* Fat-Tailed Diplodactylus
Diplodactylus elderi -* Jewelled Gecko
Diplodactylus granariensis -* Wheat-Belt Stone Gecko
Diplodactylus stenodactylus - Crowned Gecko
Diporiphora bennettii - Robust Two-Line Dragon
Egernia depressa -* Pygmy Spiny-Tailed Skink
Egernia pulchra* -South-Western Rock-Skink
Emydura australis - North-West Red-Faced Turtle
Gehyra montium - Centralian Dtella
Morelia carinata - Rough-Scaled Python
Pogona microlepidota - Kimberley Bearded Dragon
Pseudothecadactylus lindneri* - Giant Cave Gecko
Rhynchoedura ornate -* Beaked Gecko
Tiliqua multifasciata* - Centralian Blue-Tongued Lizard
Tiliqua occipitalis* - Western Blue-Tongued Lizard
Tropidonophis mairii* - Keelback Snake
Tympanocryptis lineata* - Lined Earless Dragon
Varanus brevicauda* - Short-Tailed Pygmy Monitor
Varanus caudolineatus* - Line-Tailed Pygmy Monitor
Varanus giganteus -* Perentie
Varanus glauerti* - Kimberley Rock Monitor
Varanus kingorum -* Pygmy Rock Monitor
Varanus mertensi -* Mertens's Water Monitor
Varanus mitchelli* - Mitchell's Water Monitor
Varanus panoptes* - Yellow-Spotted Monitor
Varanus rosenbergi -* Rosenberg's Goanna
Varanus scalaris -* Spotted Tree Monitor
Parasuta spectabilis -* Spectacled Hooded Snake
Vermicella annulata -* Eastern Bandy-bandy
Acanthophis antarcticus -* Southern Death Adder
Acanthophis praelongus -* Northern Death Adder
Acanthophis Pyrrhus* - Desert Death Adder
Notechis scutatus -* Mainland Tiger Snake
Pseudechis affinis* - Dugite
Pseudechis australis* - Mulga Snake
Pseudechis butleri* - Spotted Mulga Snake
Pseudonaja modesta - Ringed Brown Snake
Suta suta - Curl Snake
Oxyuranus scutellatus - Taipan
Pseudonaja textilis - Eastern Brown Snake

WA animals on the NSW keepers list.

Antaresia childreni* - Children's Python
Antaresia stimsoni Stimson's Python
Antaresia perthensis* - Pygmy Python
Aspidites melanocephalus - Black-Headed Python
Aspidites ramsayi* - Woma
Boiga irregularis - Eastern Brown Tree Snake
Boiga irregularis fusca* - Northern Brown Tree Snake
Chelodina oblonga - Oblong Snake-Necked Turtle
Christinus marmoratus -* Marbled Southern Gecko
Ctenophorus nuchalis - Central Netted Ground-Dragon
Ctenophorus pictus -* Painted Ground-Dragon
Ctenotus robustus* - Robust Ctenotus
Demansia psammophis -* Yellow-Faced Whipsnake
Dendrelaphis punctulatus - Green Tree Snake
Egernia inornata-* Unadorned Desert-Skink
Egernia kingie -* King's Skink
Egernia stokesii* - Gidgee Spiny-Tailed Skink
Elseya dentata - Northern Snapping Turtle
Eremiascincus fasciolatus -* Narrow-Banded Sand-Swimmer
Eremiascincus richardsonii* - Broad-Banded Sand-Swimmer
Furina ornata Orange-Naped Snake
Gehyra australis -* Top-End Dtella
Gehyra variegata - Varied Dtella
Hemiaspis signata - Marsh Snake
Hemidactylus frenatus - House Gecko
Heteronotia binoei - Prickly Gecko
Heteronotia spelea - Cave Prickly Gecko
Lialis burtonis - Burton's Snake-Lizard
Liasis fuscus - Water Python
Liasis olivaceus - Olive Python
Lophognathus gilberti -* Gilbert's Lashtail
Lophognathus longirostris* - Long-Snouted Lashtail
Lophognathus temporalis* - Swamplands Lashtail
Lucasium damaeum -* Beaded Gecko
Morelia spilota imbricata* - Western Carpet Python
Morelia spilota variegate -* Top End Carpet Python
Nephrurus amyae* - Centralian Rough Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus asper* - Prickly Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus laevissimus* - Pale Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus levis -* Three-Lined Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus levis levis* - Smooth Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus levis occidentalis -
Nephrurus levis pilbarensis - Smooth Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus sheai - Kimberley Rough Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus stellatus Stellate - Knob-Tail Gecko
Nephrurus wheeleri* - Banded Knob-tail Gecko
Oedura filicipoda -* Fringe-Toed Velvet Gecko
Oedura marmorata -* Marbled Velvet Gecko
Pogona henrylawsoni -* Black-Soil Bearded Dragon
Pogona minima -* Western Bearded Dragon
Pogona minor -* Western Bearded Dragon
Pogona mitchelli -* North-West Bearded Dragon
Pygopus lepidopodus -* Southern Scaly-Foot
Pygopus nigriceps* - Western Scaly-Foot
Pygopus schraderi* - Eastern Hooded Scaly-Foot
Strophurus ciliaris -* Northern Spiny-Tailed Gecko
Strophurus intermedius -* Southern Spiny-Tailed Gecko
Tiliqua rugosa -* Shingleback Lizard
Tiliqua scincoides* - Common Bluetongue
Underwoodisaurus milii* - Thick-tailed Gecko
Varanus acanthurus Ocellate* - Ridge-Tailed Monitor
Varanus gilleni* - Pygmy Mulga Monitor
Varanus gouldii* - Sand Monitor
Varanus tristis* - Black-tailed Monitor
Chelodina steindachneri* - Flat-Shelled Snake-Necked
Chlamydosaurus kingii* - Frilled Lizard
Ctenophorus cristatus* - Crested Bicycle-Dragon
Ctenophorus isolepis* - Military Sand-Dragon
Ctenotus pantherinus* - Leopard Ctenotus
Ctenotus pantherinus ocellifer -* Leopard Ctenotus
Diplodactylus conspicillatus -* Fat-Tailed Diplodactylus
Diplodactylus elderi -* Jewelled Gecko
Diplodactylus granariensis -* Wheat-Belt Stone Gecko
Diplodactylus stenodactylus - Crowned Gecko
Diporiphora bennettii - Robust Two-Line Dragon
Egernia depressa -* Pygmy Spiny-Tailed Skink
Egernia pulchra* -South-Western Rock-Skink
Emydura australis - North-West Red-Faced Turtle
Gehyra montium - Centralian Dtella
Morelia carinata - Rough-Scaled Python
Pogona microlepidota - Kimberley Bearded Dragon
Pseudothecadactylus lindneri* - Giant Cave Gecko
Rhynchoedura ornate -* Beaked Gecko
Tiliqua multifasciata* - Centralian Blue-Tongued Lizard
Tiliqua occipitalis* - Western Blue-Tongued Lizard
Tropidonophis mairii* - Keelback Snake
Tympanocryptis lineata* - Lined Earless Dragon
Varanus brevicauda* - Short-Tailed Pygmy Monitor
Varanus caudolineatus* - Line-Tailed Pygmy Monitor
Varanus giganteus -* Perentie
Varanus glauerti* - Kimberley Rock Monitor
Varanus kingorum -* Pygmy Rock Monitor
Varanus mertensi -* Mertens's Water Monitor
Varanus mitchelli* - Mitchell's Water Monitor
Varanus panoptes* - Yellow-Spotted Monitor
Varanus rosenbergi -* Rosenberg's Goanna
Varanus scalaris -* Spotted Tree Monitor
Parasuta spectabilis -* Spectacled Hooded Snake
Vermicella annulata -* Eastern Bandy-bandy
Acanthophis antarcticus -* Southern Death Adder
Acanthophis praelongus -* Northern Death Adder
Acanthophis Pyrrhus* - Desert Death Adder
Notechis scutatus -* Mainland Tiger Snake
Pseudechis affinis* - Dugite
Pseudechis australis* - Mulga Snake
Pseudechis butleri* - Spotted Mulga Snake
Pseudonaja modesta - Ringed Brown Snake
Suta suta - Curl Snake
Oxyuranus scutellatus - Taipan
Pseudonaja textilis - Eastern Brown Snake
goodness meeee, thats rediculous, how openly unfair.

This cracked me up.

On a more serious note,

Would someone please inform this man that Australia's wildlife works a little differently than he thinks it does? Species that aren't found in WA aren't found there for a reason and are unlikely to survive, let alone thrive if they escape from captivity. I just couldn't picture my jungle python slithering its way across the desert to get back home. Also, whilst he mentions that he has no control over other states, by the sound of your fees, he does have a duty to those people in his jurisdiction. I don't mean to rub it in but my recreational license (qld) was like $70, including the book, for 3-5yrs (?) Don't remember exactly. Surely something can be done to raise the standards.

On a side note, has anyone thought of using APS as a group and actually utilising some of the incredibly knowledgable people who pop up from time to time as a body worthy of doing said independant review? These things don't happen quickly but possibly an APS independant review offered as a solution might do the trick. Just make sure you pick the right people haha. I've certainly seen many examples of people more knowledgable than an 'expert' who can't name 5 species

On a less serious note, there appears to be 17 subspecies of Delma's! Also 'Delma' aparently appears to be meaningless.

I'm not sure why this amused me so much but it did

Maybe I should just get a Delma and be done with it

Last edited:
Well i got a letter from the local goverment/council which basically says thankyou for bringing this to my attention but there will be no need to review the current list of species permitted as pets and no need to possibly expand it. I doubt there's any chance of an expansion sadly, they went on to say that wild species are threatened as it is from feral animals ''cats, foxes etc'' but isn't that a more realistic reason to have them protected in a collection, we cant just let this go.

anyway, i want to know if you got a physical letter in the mail like i did this week too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back