Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In NSW we can keep any reptiles species from basically anywhere in the country PROVIDED it/they can be legally obtained.Basically they can and will add any species to the list if they can be sourced legitimately.

In NSW we can keep any reptiles species from basically anywhere in the country PROVIDED it/they can be legally obtained.Basically they can and will add any species to the list if they can be sourced legitimately.
jealous

Well i got a letter from the local goverment/council which basically says thankyou for bringing this to my attention but there will be no need to review the current list of species permitted as pets and no need to possibly expand it. I doubt there's any chance of an expansion sadly, they went on to say that wild species are threatened as it is from feral animals ''cats, foxes etc'' but isn't that a more realistic reason to have them protected in a collection, we cant just let this go.

anyway, i want to know if you got a physical letter in the mail like i did this week too.

Hi Ricky. Don't give up buddy. Write your own email back saying that's unexeptable. CALM now DEC said they would review after 12 months or so back in 2003. We can't give up. Keep the emails going, reply back to each and everyone.

Hi Ricky. Don't give up buddy. Write your own email back saying that's unexeptable. CALM now DEC said they would review after 12 months or so back in 2003. We can't give up. Keep the emails going, reply back to each and everyone.
yes i shall :) but im not one to get in the way of science and conservation in the wild, but yes a reply will be heading their way soon, kind one ofcourse, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar :)

I sent this email to the Minister today:

Dear Minister,

I sent you this email six weeks ago - no reply, not even an acknowledgement. That is very poor performance from the Minister's office. No wonder your WA DEC Department is being criticised by the rest of Australia. I am now turning my attention to the opposition - the shadow Minister, who was decent enough to reply promptly.

Yours truly

And this was their reply. The same as last time:

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]This is an automatic message acknowledging that your correspondence to the Hon Bill Marmion MLA, Minister for Environment; Water, has been received.
Please be assured that your correspondence will be actioned as appropriate.
Thank you for taking the time to contact our office.
Please do not reply to this message.[/FONT]

Last edited:
I got the same letter last week saying that they saw no need for a review
They claimed in the letter that 77% of licensed reptile keepers only keep one species with about 54% only keeping one animal.

Last edited:
I got the same letter last week saying that they saw no need for a review
They claimed in the letter that 77% of licensed reptile keepers only keep one species with about 54% only keeping one animal.
i got the same response for one of my letters and i said that was most likely due to people not seeing two species on the list they would like to keep and therefor only keeping one.

the fact is they were supposed to review it back in 2003, no excuse's, and believe me i would have more if i could, but, the list is very short and not saying the current species are bad, just a greater variety of WA animals would lovely, and they go on to say the species are threatened in the wild, well atleast in a collection they would be protected.

we need to keep at them, anything with the local governments takes time and patience, change never happens quickly.

I recieved a reply the other day from my MP.

Good Day Andrew,

Your inquiry to me was initially forwarded to our Shadow Minister for the Environment, Hon Dr Sally Talbot MLC, who is closely monitoring the Minister for Environment and his actions, or otherwise, on this issue. In addition I have now written a Question on Notice for the Minister, a copy of which is attached, and I will get back to you as soon as I have his response.

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

TOM STEPHENS JP MLA

Member for Pilbara

Further to this he has put forward a question on Notice for the minister at the next legislative assembly on November 2. In this he is asking
1) What reasons has your Department given for maintaining a minimal list of species allowed for keeping in comparison to other states of Australia?
2) What reason does your Department have for insisting that animal sales go through a registered dealer rather than allowing personal transactions that are recorded on an annual return as in other states of Australia?
3) What reasons does your Department give for the extremely high cost of keepers’ licences in comparison to other states of Australia?

It will be interesting to hear the reply.

Andrew

i got the same response for one of my letters and i said that was most likely due to people not seeing two species on the list they would like to keep and therefor only keeping one.

It's a restriction not placed on the people in WA who keep native birds. They too only often only keep one species.

The shadow MP's and ministers are far better when it comes to this issue. They love this sort of ammo for proving they are doing a crap job etc.

Some good progress there Andrew! Hopefully he can make something out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back