Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Patience with these guys means literally waiting months or most likely years for action. ASSISTING reptile keepers in WA is not a priority for DEC, exerting strongarm CONTROL over them is. They think they have done you a huge favour by allowing you have what you have already, and if we're speaking pre-2003, they have!

Gordon Wyre and Peter Mawson promised a review would take place between 12-24 months following the introduction of legalised keeping in 2003, and a consultative committee was set up to work with (then) CALM to iron out the (massive) wrinkles in the system they set up. The review was never undertaken, and the consultative committee was allowed to collapse because CALM would not agree to meet with us after about the first year. That was eight years ago.

Be assured that whatever happens in WA, it will be tailored to suit DEC, not the keepers in that state. Unless there's a complete change of staff at DEC in the next few years, your species list will not be greatly expanded, and I'd be very surprised if you are allowed to keep anything but WA endemic species.

Jamie

Jamie, we are not expecting any reply from the DEC, the letters went to the Minister and the shadow Minister. If they don't see it fit to reply and act, then God help WA and the reptile keepers there.

Jamie, we are not expecting any reply from the DEC, the letters went to the Minister and the shadow Minister. If they don't see it fit to reply and act, then God help WA and the reptile keepers there.

Dear God,
Please cause a natural disaster that removes the relevant DEC staff from this earth.
Cheers
your favourite Snowman.

I'm expecting a reply from God first ;)

It is rather dissapointing. I didn't expect anything to happen quickly. As i put in the letter "I am not expecting miracles, i am simply expecting fair, and timely approach from members of DEC."

Maybe that is a bit of an oxymoron???

MON

haha its like in the movie Shawshank Redemption... if we hound hard and stay at it they will eventually break :p

Letter sent. People from other states may want to also show support by making the following small changes.

Dear Minister

I am writing to express my concern about the reptile keeping system in Western Australia. The allowed reptile species list is very restrictive, especially when compared to those of the other states. DEC has still not reviewed the species list despite promising to do so within 12-24 months of its introduction in 2003.

Currently there are many species endemic to WA which can be kept legally in all other states, but keepers are unfairly prevented from keeping them legally in their own state. I seek an independent review of the system imposed on reptile keepers in WA, as DEC continues to stall meaningful discussion about this matter. It is time that WA raises to an equal par with the rest of the country.

I urge you to raise this issue with your colleagues and in the Parliament as a matter of public interest. All reptile keepers in Western Australia and in fact Australia wide, are grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Yours sincerely

recently got a stimmy and beardy loving reptiles as a pet would love a greater variaty here in w.a.
letter sent

I sent email to the Minister and the shadow Minister on the 9/9 and haven't received any response whatsoever.
Today, I am going to send a letter to both of them by registered mail and I urge everybody to do the same. Emails can disappear or be "lost" in the traffic but letters that have been signed off by the receiver can't.
I will also point out my disappointment that the respective Ministers didn't have the decency to at least acknowledge my correspondence. Ignorance in ministerial levels is an offence as far as I am concerned.

Has anyone received any replies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back