advice needed for sick bearded dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His name is Lazarus!!!!

That's brilliant - we have a hermit crab called Lazarus.. my little brother dropped him from our second storey balcony and he lived... so that's his story...

Why Lazarus for you? Did he return from the dead?

No. The names of my dragons are:-
Lazarus
Latisha
Lathius
Latisse
Luthian
Leviathon
and Saphira (don't ask!)
also Zigmund the bluey.

get a second opinion!
my rat had a chest infection and they gave me baytral to treat it had to give the rat one drop twice daily so once every 4 days seems not enough for a beardie.
rat didnt get better turns out she has cancer, still alive but starting to slow down.
i`ll ask a few vets at my work and see what they say about your beardies medication.

Thanks Sqeezen. I will also ask around to see if I should be giving the Baytral more often. I appreciate your help.

Give him a little more time on the baytril, once a reptile gets ill its usually a long road to recovery. Reptiles being ecothermic take alot longer to get the antibiotics working. Also sorry to repeat but 9 months is to young

What Vet did you go to? Was it a herp vet? If you don't want to put your approx. location on the site send me a pm and I will let you know some vets near you that are known to treat reptiles.

If you ring Healsville again ask to talk to Dr Franciscus Scheelings BVSc (Melb)
You can try this email but I haven't for a couple of years so not sure if he will respond.
E-mail: [email protected]
Plus he is a member on here, I'll try and find his user name, but again he hasn't been on for a long time.

thats who i recommended too, meshe, hopefully mumof4* will be able to contact him today.

BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!

Not all vet s have had experience with reptiles...........a vet that keeps them is better!

Baytril.... i have used , once every 4 days by injection.... be careful ,not all like using it as there are side affects from this drug..... Google Baytril on the net

Unfortunately it sounds similar to something ive come across..... is he Eastern or Central/Inland???

temp variation should be 36-38* at head height under basking light........ & 20-23 at cool end
even your veg will cook at 27 in the cool end

what does you habitat look like,glass,mdf,wood? size of habitat?
how many vents?
what size watt for you heat ?

Mumof4..... please dont take any of this critically or personally

In the last 12months... ive dealt with my reptile partners Dragon that had similar issues
her circumstances were that for the first 6 months she had him she had his U.V on top of his enclosures glass (an old aquarium)... not only stunted his growth but gave him pre-mature arthritis... thus MBD

hopefully this isnt your problem!.....

Dragons alike to us can get depressed....... the Frilled neck are known for this... he may just be missing his companion!

i didnt know dragons could catch stuff from each other!
well,...apart from adenovirus which i've only heard of on the US forums,..not here though,...

9 months is too young fro female dragons,..cos they have to carry teh eggs, i've never heard its too young fro a boy!!!

please keep us updated on his progress, and fingers crossed hes just exhausted from all the lovin! :)

did the vet check his liver function and stuff?
maybe too much protien in his diet if hes grown so quickly?

...just a thought,....

He is a little better Daragon Lady.
He actually ate greens of his own accord yesterday, but was still reluctant to open his eyes. Apart from that he seems to be much the same.
I was actually trying to find the details for the enclosure I have (I was being too lazy to get up and measure!) The enclosure is made out of melamine with a sliding glass front and has a huge vent in the back. It is heated by a exo-terra 100w ceramic heating coil.
I have another 3 enclosures (all from the same supplier in Mt Martha) that house many dragons, but luckily none others have got sick. I do clean the enclosures out regularily with Reptile Science cage cleaner (and yes I do rinse it well!) so I cant imagine the illness is from anything I'm doing incorrectly or possibly anything I'm not doing correctly - but I'm open for suggestions

I'm baffled!

Hi Chris,
Not to sure about his liver, although the vet did say he thought he appeared to be in good health - other than whatever it is that seems to be trying to kill him!

By the way Chris, I'm so glad you also think it's not harmful for young boys to 'copulate' only young girls (as their nutrients needed to grow would go to the egg instead & the possibility of becoming egg bound) because I cant imagine how this could harm a boy. He's just bobbing and releasing his goodness - so I thought!

What species of dragon?
In all he is probably buggered from studding!

could say something inappropriate.... but most male species get exhausted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back