advice needed for sick bearded dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Dragon Lady. I forgot to mention that the vet I use has had experience with dragons, I'm just not sure he has one. He did spend 2 hours doing a thorough check over on Lazarus, but as you said, I'm sure there are far more experienced than him.

How big... lenght...head...weight!

as for vets.......if they can convince me they know more than me ..then they can see my animals!

found 1 ...

sometimes its easy...sometimes its not

He's about 40cm long (well would be if he had the tip of his tail!) He weighs around 275g (He is a very lean dragon though). His head is approx 7cm from cheek to and also 7cm from tip of nose to neck. His tail has a circumference of approx 9 cm. He

sounds like a handsome fella with a head that size!! :)
maybe hes exhausted from carrying that massive head around!! :)

i'm baffled as to what could be wrong,...!!

Have you tried calling vets even if tehyre in different states just to talk about it?
David Vella in sydney seems to really know his stuff,....maybe he can suggest something the other vets havent thought of,...

length (nose to tail) head weight
At 8 mnths old.......... Indiana 41cm. 5.5cm . 224g.
Merlin 45cm . 7.5cm . 399g.

last measure up....

12 mnths Indiana 47cm. 8cm . 401g.
Merlin 49.5cm . 9.5cm . 555g.

these are my juvie boys

Thanks Chris. I very well may do that. I have also been given a couple of numbers here in Melb to try - I'll give them all a call. Hopefully someone can help!

wow, 9.5 cms in width! thats fantastic!!
i've never measured head width, might do that with the fatties when i get home!!

hey mumof4, have you asked around on teh beardeddragon.org site?
heaps of the US dragons are sick, maybe they'll have had something similar,...?

No I haven't. I don't get on these sites much - until now! I will have a look. I might try and call the vets and let you all know if they come up with something.

The reason why i asked about if yours was a central or eastern....
is i have heard that easterns have allot of health problems in captivity

I think geckodan is a vet by memory?....try pm'ing him ...instant vet help...or another opinion!

hope you don't mind me posting a pic of the "man" in question, mumof4*.
He's a handsome fella, isn't he?

Attachments

• P1030425.JPG
    P1030425.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 29
He's one of the nicest beardies i've ever come across, he and i have had our "moments" but he really is a sweetie.
His growth rate is just amazing, he nearly outdoes my girls, Loki and Lucius, for size too.
Mumof4*'s dragons would be some of the best looked after animals around, so his illness came as a big shock to all who knows Lazarus.
Fingers crossed he's on the road to recovery.

Oh how beautiful he is Koubee.

I tried to ring Dr Scheelings at Heallsville Sanctuary, but as he was out they put me on to his associate. His associate (I couldn't catch his name - rude of me I know) said that it was difficult to diagnose over the phone and reccommended that I go and see Dr Brendan Carmel at the Warrenwood Vet. Lazarus and I have an appointment there on Friday morn.
Koubee - did you want to come for a road trip?

Mind you, as I write this, Lazarus is on my desk maddly trying to keep his eyes open! I think he's trying to pretend he's better so he doesn't get probed again!

The appointment is 10.30 but it will take nearly an hour to get there...I guess I'll go on my lonesome...
Have you heard good things about him? He's going to cost me a packet!

I've heard that he is a great herp vet. He's reccomended in Reptiles Australia.

Hello

Hello,

I do have a question. You mentioned that the first vet said he had crystals in his urates? Did he do a fecal or a bloodtest?
If he did not do a bloodtest that is what I recommend. Uric acid crystals, in excess, usually constitutes gout or dehydration.
What did the 2nd vet say today?
You went to Dr. Franciscus' associate or someone else?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back