Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Albino Rattler at ARP. They also have (or have had in the past) an albino Swamp Snake and an albino Burton's.

Kwaka, albinism is a mutation, not a disability. Albino animals don't survive long in the wild as the fact that they're white tends to somewhat impair their ability to camoflage themselves and makes them easy pickings for predators.

hmmm, if it IMPAIRS their ability to hide wouldnt it then be classed as a disability?

No, definitely not.

CodeRed said:
hmmm, if it IMPAIRS their ability to hide wouldnt it then be classed as a disability?

I could be wrong but I think there's a difference between a disability and a disadvantage :lol:

Many albino animals do have disabilities, especially in first generation breedings.
The first lot of Albino Olives had eye defects & the first few clutches of Albino Beardeds did not survive.

Yes you can be disadvantaged but not disabled ;-) There have been numerous adult albino snakes, lizards and other animals found in the wild, it isn't a death sentence but when you consider the low survival rates of reptiles anyway being albino just multiplies the chances of you getting picked off.

I used to have an albino carpenteria snake that i cleaned out and got feeding on mice for Brain Fry, not sure what happened to it once i gave it back to him.
There has been 2 albino blackheads found, dont know what happened to them either, QPWS in townsville have 2 leuristic,(spelling), pure white macs.
There are a few other albinos floating around out there too, but i think the owners dont want it known yet.

boa said:
Yes you can be disadvantaged but not disabled ;-) There have been numerous adult albino snakes, lizards and other animals found in the wild, it isn't a death sentence but when you consider the low survival rates of reptiles anyway being albino just multiplies the chances of you getting picked off.

Ahh so its just the definition of a disadvantage and a disability.

why not just paint the animals white, or whatever colour you want :? atleast then you dont have to mess with their jeans :lol:

boa wrote: ?Yes you can be disadvantaged but not disabled
But just because your disabled doesnt mean your rtarted... you could have a broken leg and be disabled it doesnt nesecarily mean you have seriable paulsy (spelt wrong) and are completly disabled...

I didnt mean it as albino is completly disabled but it is a disability AFAIAC

I'm not sure if being 'rtarted' is good or bad though :D

[quote="kwaka_80]
But just because your disabled doesnt mean your rtarted... [/quote]

Many albino animals do have disabilities, especially in first generation breedings.
The first lot of Albino Olives had eye defects & the first few clutches of Albino Beardeds did not survive.

Then first albino olives were poorly incubated, Gavin has admitted that incorrect temps were used himself.
The first clutch of albino beardies was, to my understanding, put outside for UV when the neighbour decided to use pesticides, thus poisining them.
Sometimes albinism is linked to a defect, but not very often in reptiles.

Yes it is my understanding that the 'problems' associated with a few of the recent breedings were more a case of human error or at least intervention.

I think albinoism is a defective gene(s) and if there is going to be one defect chances are there will be more, there has been more than one clutch of albino beardie's hatched and many of them dieing, I was told by the breeder of the ones in the picture that he has a yearling, but it's not going the best. I myself produced a hatchling last year that has a colour defect and lacks darker pigment, and it was a lot weaker than the rest and took some care to get it up and going, it's fine now but still feels weaker than the others. I also bred a N. levis with a colour deformity, it has no white spots or lines at all and looks quite bazzar, but it has some major pysical deformity's as well, it has a stubby tail and a eye problem. Many people put these off as incubation problems, but as 200 odd animals came out of my incubator fine, it's my thoughts that it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back