Alpine Blotched Bluetongue localities

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its alright i have my copy, it says"there appear to be 2 colour races present on the southern highlands:a lowlands form which has yellow blotches, and a montane variety which has pink blotches.The latter race appears to attain a greater length than the lowlands form.

well thats not going to cover it at all. Needs to be a bipartisan Senate inquiry into all the T.nigrolutea forms. Theres at least 4 maybe 5 in this thread alone.
Anyone got any Tassie examples?

:idea: I've noticed that sometimes when Alpine's get bitten by cagemates esp. on the head, after the scab is shed the wound is bright orange.
This is well illustrated by Zulus pic of his male above. The large head scales on this specimen are broken up in the orange areas which confirms the connection between the damage & the increased pigmentation.
My theory is based on observations on specimens with good orange colour & might not occur in specimens with white or yellow blotches.

Males tend to bite each other on the head, whereas males bite females on the shoulder region when mating.
This can be used to used to determine the sex of Blotchies that have bred before.

Note: Spots of intense red can also occur randomly on the back & tail base in some individuals usually within the blotches.
They can be born with these so are not always associated with injury.

noticed this as well Zen, had one that had numerous lesions and the regen areas had a mix of black and the bright orange scales. agree, would like to see what occurs in the others.

re Alpine

Maybe,but ive seen others all red blotches and young ones with the coloration,like the other male had its head bitten too and alott of ones with red have it on undamaged scales.Ile have to get some more pics of adults that have grown up from the same line,a friend has a few of my young ones grown up with mixed red and pink all over and another with all reddish blotches.Interesting theory anyway zen and peter ile get you the pics when i can ime there today but the weathers not too good unfortunately. :)

In westerns the scars are usually orange as well,told nathanbris i would post these again.

diamondandblotchie.jpg

blotchieanddiamond.jpg

re Alpine

Waste not want not hey pike :( :lol: Heres another pic of the two males. :)

Do you know what that specimens geographic origin is
Also, if it's not a rude question, how much did you pay for her?
I wasn't told when I got her but someone on the first page (first reply) thinks Mt Buller area.
I paid $300 for her, even if it was a male I would still be happy (although she was very fat when i got her) at the time Roy was about to buy is pet shop, he said later that anyother time and he probably would have kept her, to see if it was a her!
But now I've got 5 more :D
I've noticed that sometimes when Alpine's get bitten by cagemates esp. on the head, after the scab is shed the wound is bright orange.
I've also seen this in "normal" lowlands, but not to the extent it happens in alpines.

WOW Pike! That photograph is incredible!

I've never seen an image of an adult Diamond Python eating a reptile.
I know hatchlings eat lizards but it's unusual in adults.
Prof. Shine writes that 14% of their diet is reptiles, but this may include juveniles(?).

Such a pity to see such a gorgeous Alpine Blotchy in that context though. :cry:
I assume it was already dead before being fed to the snake. :?
What was the cause of death in the little beauty?.

So it was a Blue Mountains type eh!
Stunning coloured blotches. As red as they get I reckon.
Was it from Zulus bloodline?.

Pike wrote:-
In westerns the scars are usually orange as well

Peter wrote:-
noticed this as well Zen, had one that had numerous lesions and the regen areas had a mix of black and the bright orange scales. agree, would like to see what occurs in the others.

& Jordo wrote:-
I've also seen this in "normal" lowlands, but not to the extent it happens in alpines.

These statements seem to confirm the theory :idea:

I had a male with no intense orange pigmentation on the head. After his first battle with another male in the mating season, he developed it.

Cheers, zen

P.S - Jordo, that's a great price for such a nice specimen & gravid too!!!
Congrats! Can you show us some pics of the bubs?.

re Alpine

Well my other males jeallous,hes been getting the crap bitten out of his head and suffered a gammy leg(he reckons no pain no gain)hes still no tom cruise.He did manage to bite a bit of the other ones tail off though,hes calling you zenida the spider zen and wants to know when things will start looking up so he can start his modelling carreer :lol:

Good on him for fighting back.
I gather he's not the dominant male then Zulu.
They sure can get pumped up with agro when the females are reproductive.

...hes calling you zenida the spider zen...
I've got no idea what this means. :? :?:

re Alpine

Yeh they fight like buggery zen ile have to make more enclosures,it all works though,will be keen to see if the young ones come out normal from the two year old. :)

re Alpine

These are some of my babys grown up zen from a cou[le of years back,nice contrast similar to pikes babys and the one getting eaten by the diamond python. :)

Well Zulu, that's probably the best looking Blotchy I've ever seen :mrgreen:

The colour in those blotches & the solid black are as good as it get's. 8)

What locality is that one's bloodline?
It looks like a female to me?

Put me on the waiting list for her babies. :wink:

Just a little question for you blue tongue ppl, do you think wild blue tongues eat a simillar amount of
vegetable matter in the wild as you provide in captivity? What type of native vegetable matter would they feed on? Anything that's soft and green?

Some more pics of the adults, and babies (nearly adults now). None of the babies have shed recently so no good pics sorry, none of them are as nice as their mum anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back