Amyae or Asper

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad

Reaction score
G'day All,

I have just recently purchased some Amyae. Have found them to be very different in all matters.

Any help advice would be great?????

Regards

Anthony

Why didnt you research them before buying them..

There not a carpet python and need to be properly looked after I suggest doing as much reading as you can as quick as you can.

Keep them at 30-32 at one end, 24 at the other if possible, feed daily or every second day crix only 3 or so is plenty, there not relaly burrowers so a sand depth of a few cm is plenty, one end deeper than the other (cool end deeper), give them hides at the warm end and cold end.

I spray mine for water every few days or you can use a water bowl but mine just trudge sand through it. dont make it deeper than a cm or so though.

Goodluck

Amyae And Asper

I did research them.

Just want to know what they are?????

I have had conficting descriptions. I have been told i have Amyae and Asper (one of each) and the problem is i have bought them as all Amyae??

RE: Amyae And Asper

rough knob tailed geckoes.
nice animals, well done

RE: Amyae And Asper

Jason, Amyae and Asper are both Rough Knob Tail Geckos

They both look like amyae to me, just different colour variations. asper have strongly banded toes, amyae have either no bands on the toes or weak bands.

Lovely animals :0)

They're not what you wanted mate, I think you'd better give them to me and buy more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys & Gals.

Have been informed today that i have one of each!!!! on closer inspection.

Happy with all i have and hope to breed them all, as long as i know what they are????????

Do you mind if I ask who informed you that you have one of each ?

Toad said:
Thanks guys & Gals.

Have been informed today that i have one of each!!!! on closer inspection.

Happy with all i have and hope to breed them all, as long as i know what they are????????

RE: Re: Amyae or Asper

They both look like Nephrurus amyae to me.. There's no significant difference in husbandry between amyae and asper.. They are essentially the same except for their natural range.
Amyae being central australia and asper being native to QLD

What About this????

These photos do show a difference? or not?

My amyae show the spine length of the 'asper' above, they are nowhere near as long as the 'amyae' shown above, which going by this method would make all my animals asper, not amyae!!
What about your animals Ari? Is there any significant difference is spine length on the rump between your asper and amyae?

I assume spine length is what we are referring to?

There is no doubt that the spine length between those two animals is different BUT spine length over the tail is not the only feature used to distinguish the species apart.
What age are these animals. I have the photos at home of the two animals sided by side and if they are the same age and are mature then size alone makes them both amyae. All red asper that I have seen never exceed 60% of an amyae in size.

Also be aware Toad that there are some unscrupulous morons out there hybridising the two either due to misinformation, greed or stupidity (you take your pick). The hybrid animals retain mostly amyae characteristics in terms of size but have asper colour coming through. It is a possibility if the size comment above rings true.

Thanks Heaps geckodan for your help and advice.
This is the main reason of why im asking, so that i dont become one of those morons!
From what see in front of me is two different animals and characteristics. This is what has prompted me to ask the question.
This is what i have been informed on from photos and yesterday had checked them in the flesh to make sure.
'Between the two species the best way to differentiate is by how spiny the rump is (the area directly in front of the tail). In these pics the rump is only moderately spiny but compared to the other it is very spiny and definitely amyae. If you want to check further look at the individual tubercules on the rump and thighs. Each is made up of a large central spine surrounded by a ring of smaller spines. In amyae the surrounding spines are irregular in size and some may be more than half the height of the central spine. In asper the surrounding spines are all uniform in size and less than half the height of the central spine.'

So are they young or mature?? Are they supposed to be of the same age?
My measurements from your other photos, based on an average hand size puts the animal in question at over 100mm in length which makes it significantly larger than any red asper I have seen (but still within the potential size range for asper if you include cape york forms). Most red asper I have seen top out at about 85mm. It just makes me think hybrid as a possibility.

The Female amyae is 150mm, male amyae is 125mm and the one in question (amyae/ asper) is 115mm.

The the pr of amyae are 3-4 yrs old and (amyae/asper) is 15months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back