Amyae or Asper

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys im trying to get a refund or sell him. So he is for sale.

This is not what i wanted.

I did want Amyae not Asper.

What is this one ?
N.jpg

That is an Asper as you can tell by spine clusters on the rump. Also maximum size is about 86mm snout to vent. A male Amyae would be almost double that size. Please note there is a slight colour variation based on the mood of the specimen - this specimen is sometimes much paler & darker. This is another obvious specimen which is definately Asper, but could be mistaken by the inexperienced as being an Amyae.

Hi Toad,
Just to add something else for you to think about. Looking at the photo showing the heads, the two amyae quite clearly have mite in their eyes (tends to hide unfer the eye lid). Probably a gecko specific species, but mite none the less.
Now if they have been housed together they probably all have it.
This leads to the question as to whether or not the are wild caught?

Daniel

Please note on close examination of the eyes in question on the 2 x known Amyae there does seem to be some substrate. However if by chance they are mites then they are harmless comunal mites, e.g. tan to orange colouration which are harmless and only feed on dead skin - they do not feed on blood at all. Its the black & bright red ones you need to worry about.

This shows no concern at all & quite frankly does not mean wild caught as I have in the past seen various collections of captive bred species which also occassionally have this problem, particularly with leaf tailed species whether sthern or nthern forms

Ari you are correct it is substrate.
Partner is a vet nurse and have had this checked.

Strange substrate sticking to the eye of an animal that licks its eyes clean.
The only reason I mentioned it was that some amyae I purchased a little while back had the mites I am talking about on them. They are a species that does not hide in bright light as you would expect.
The vet initially said no its substrate even though he had been told I had removed one and watched it walk on the tip of my finger.
On a return visit that I was able to take the animals in myself we removed one, got it under the microscope and confirmed mite. They are however very easily treated.
I just didnt want them spreading to the rest of my geckos.
I would have liked to get some of them to the museum, so I could have found out if they are found locally or if they are only found in central Australia. I have since heard that others have noticed wild animals in the eastern states with these mites on them.
And to whether or not my animals were wild caught, I have been told they weren't.

Daniel

Howdy guys, how many others out there have bought "two year old pairs of amyae" from Scoot in Alice?
Just curious is all.

Daniel,
Thanks for the interest and pick up. The males eyes are all clear now and the females is clearing up everyday. Im giving them a good shower every second day. This seems to be helping with the more licking they do.

Sorry fishead dont know Scoot. Got my from a guy at the Tweed.

Re: RE: Amyae or Asper

ari said:
Furthermore I wish to add to all those people considering purchasing Amyae & or Asper for that matter - DO NOT BUY ANY SPECIMENS FOR BREEDING PURPOSES THAT ARE AGED OVER 6 YRS OF AGE.....YOU COULD BE WAITING FOR YEARS TO GET AN EGG.

Hi All

I wish to correct this statement, based on further conversations with other breeders recently that this is generally not the case, but was based on an individual breeders results only.

P.s. Fishhead all specimens in this discussion/post have not come from Scoot in Alice Springs.

Cheers

Ari

Hey Ari, I didn't word my post to well there sorry. I wasn't refering to Toad's geckos. I got my original amyaes from Scoot a couple of years ago.

No need to apologise Fishead, you have said & done nothing wrong mate. All is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back