Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyTheSnake

Reaction score
I don't know whether Angry is the right word.. maybe devastated is a better choice.

Some of you have probably seen my enthusiastic threads on our new BHP. We have fallen head over heals in love with our little chap, he is just soooo adorable. Well, today we got the worst news I think we could have been given. Our little boy doesn't stand much of a chance of surviving.

Let me explain... the day he arrived, we noticed he had a lump near his heart area, so we rang the person that we bought him from. We were informed that he had been taken to a vet and that he had enlarged ribs and it was normal and he was fine. I asked this person why they wanted to sell him, and they said because they had bought a trio and then found that there were two males. So one had to go. (this comes into play later)

Well, after speaking with a vet on the phone, he told us that he'd never heard of such a thing, and gave us a list of possible problems. So to cut a long story short.. we took him to the vet, only to find out that he doesn't have enlarged ribs.. he has a lesion just behind his heart at the entrance to his oesophagus likely to be an abscess, but could also be a tumor. But further more, he has sustained a broken neck that has since calcified.

The fracture has healed and nothing can be done about that, and it doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort. But the lesion is a different story. We have him on a 21 day course of antibiotics to see if it will reduce the swelling, but it's a long shot. Next step is needle aspiration, culture and most likely surgery. The vet has told us that we probably only stand a 50/50 chance of survival if he goes in for surgery, because the problem is so close to his heart. There is just no guarantee.

I rang the person that sold us the snake, and said, "remember when you said he had enlarged ribs?".. their first response was .. "Oh.. is he dead?" .... now I don't know about any of you.. but that seemed a little sus to me!! Then I was informed that the vet they had seen was no longer there. Uhuh... surprise surprise!! Then when I told them that my vet had said that the break was a few months old, and there was a good chance the lesion and the break coincided, and was more than likely the result of something landing on the snake or being stepped on.. (you get the point).... this person told me that it was like it when they bought him. They bought the snake when he was only 2 months old, and according to them, the breeder had told them that it was normal and all was okay.

Well, I have since spoken to the breeder, and the snake was not in this condition, it was in perfect health, and he was bought as a single snake not a trio!!!

If you are still with me at this point... thankyou for letting me vent. I am just so ... angry:evil:. We should have been told about the "enlarged ribs" before we ever paid any money. And then to just get excuses and lies. And all this is without considering the cost!! $900 for the snake, $250 vet bill, not to mention the cost of setting up an enclosure!! Now we are up for surgery costs on top, and may not even have our little guy at the end of it all.

I'll go now. Thanks for listening. I'm just so sad about our little friend.:cry::cry::cry:

Should've check the snakie out before buying him... But still that is devastating. I hope he pulls through. People are such rats sometimes.

That's terrible Grumpy, i hope he pulls through. I find it sad that people can find it so easy to lie. Chin up and I hope it all works out for you.

We could only go by photos Phil, and all the photos looked normal. I'm in NSW and the seller is in QLD. There was even a comment from someone quite respected, saying that he was a wonderful snake, and the buyer would be lucky. I thought I was doing okay. Well, it's our hearts that have been ripped in two by this, not the seller... "they got their money back"... that got what they paid for him!!

name this scumbag so people know to avoid them. if i were you id be getting my money back.

and thankyou all so much.. I really appreciate your comments. I'm trying to keep my chin up... but it's a little difficult. We just love him so much. :(

I won't do that Alex.. .believe me.. I wish I could though. And the only way I could get the money back is if the seller had a heart and just gave it to me.... but to tell you the truth... I'd rather have my baby boy.

We could only go by photos Phil, and all the photos looked normal. I'm in NSW and the seller is in QLD. There was even a comment from someone quite respected, saying that he was a wonderful snake, and the buyer would be lucky. I thought I was doing okay. Well, it's our hearts that have been ripped in two by this, not the seller... "they got their money back"... that got what they paid for him!!
Oh yeah, that sucks then. Sorry to hear.

Look on the bright side. You might just get your little bubby back brand new!

Fingers crossed Phil. I'll let you know in 21 days :( Let's just hope that the antibiotics do some good. If not, chances aren't too good though. And thankyou.

Not surprised QLD seller BHP has done before (18months ago) if I am thinking of the right person ans supposed to be quite well respected too. Cost a lot of people a lot of money and heartache

Very sad to hear.... I really hope he pulls through fine and everything works out.....

Its very disapointing that someone out there could hurt a snake and then sell it off with a broken neck and other injuries for someone else to look after.... Very inhumane and cowardly....

Hopefully they can show you they have a heart of somekind.....

i got a snake once which a couple of days after i bought it ,i took it to vet cause its eye had pus under the spectacle
it was a respritory infection that had spread and infected eye,
a couple of days later my little snake died.
but the seller gave me a replacment snake as obviusly it was sick before i got it

hope your little guy gets better

Grumpy my heart is with you, you are having a bad year with pets. I really hope things start to turn around for you with this little guy's full recovery.

lol.. not too bad a year with "pets" so to speak.. just this little guy :( thanks Channi.

Sorry to hear that snake pimp, and thank you too.

Thanks Surfcop.... I could never do that to anyone, so it really does surprise me that someone could even think of doing it.

Inkslinger.. I couldn't tell you.. I don't know what this person has sold in the past, so I'm sorry, can't help you on that one.

Thanks again everyone for your sympathy.... I think I need it.

let us know how he goes. im so sad.
i cant believe people can just do that to an animal and to make it worse hand it over to someone who really cares.

all will work out, he is in good hands with you grumpy.

That sucks!
Why do people have to be so disrespectful? It's just disgusting.

I hope your little one pulls through Grumpy =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back