Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Jazz.

Well, you are a clever munchkin;) I meant what I had said at the time... now I realise I was just being taken for a ride. I just get really mad to think of the suffering our poor little baby has gone through. It's just cruel.

Thank you Jazz.

Well, you are a clever munchkin;) I meant what I had said at the time... now I realise I was just being taken for a ride. I just get really mad to think of the suffering our poor little baby has gone through. It's just cruel.
Yeah i hear you!!

Let me know how your little guy goes!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Your hubby must be devastated!!

Thanks hon, I will. And yeah, he is. He's got it in his head at the moment that he doesn't want anything to do with snakes anymore. He thinks if he doesn't deal with them, then he doesn't get attached. I know this will pass, but it breaks my heart to see him like it, because he is mad about all our other babies too. It has hit him quite hard, more than I expected really. :( The big hard butt that he is... he's a big softie at heart.

These are the best photos I could get of the fracture. I tried to scan the x-ray, but it didn't work. It really does look nasty. I'll try and take some pics of the ulta sound for the lesion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thought of buying an animal without first inspecting it in person is utterly alien to me.

Regardless, I am sorry for your situation, and hope your snake makes it through.

The thought of buying an animal without first inspecting it in person is utterly alien to me.

Regardless, I am sorry for your situation, and hope your snake makes it through.

what about if it were via web cam. i was thinking that woudl be the way i would sell any rep when they were not able to come see it for themselves

what about if it were via web cam. i was thinking that woudl be the way i would sell any rep when they were not able to come see it for themselves

Nope.

No doubt others would, but given the choice between the snake I've handled and the one I haven't, I'll choose the snake I've handled. I can get a rough idea of it's temperament, presence of any parasites, any injuries, bumps or lumps, as well as obviously getting the best possible look at it's markings.

Nope.

No doubt others would, but given the choice between the snake I've handled and the one I haven't, I'll choose the snake I've handled. I can get a rough idea of it's temperament, presence of any parasites, any injuries, bumps or lumps, as well as obviously getting the best possible look at it's markings.

ah yes but you dont always have the choice between one you have handled and one you havnt, some species you may only find forsale in an area you have to freight. and i figgure showing the person the snkae being handled, plus eating and what not would be a rather good indicator of temperament and voracity, would make them feel a whoel lot more comfortable then jsut seeing photos. obviously there is still the problem where a scumm abg would jsut send them a different snake. but yes.

just a little edit, i am all for you on buying locaaly if possible, i ahve managed to do it for all my reps purchased, jsut have ahd to drive a few hours sometimes

I know it is a risk not buying local, but I suppose you just have to go on the seller's reputation and the opinion of others. Some of mine are local, some not. One I bought from a very well known establishment interstate. Died within a few weeks! The owner, I feel, was not helpful at all and I would not buy from them again. I do hope everything works out Ok Grumpy and I do hope your husband is not put off by the experience. My wife actually cried when the snake in question died, and this coming from someone who was going to divorce me if I ever got a snake!

Nic that's just bloody awful mate, i'm really sorry to hear that. Hope your little fella pulls through, i'll be thinking of him. It's a damn shame that you just can't seem to trust anybody these days. all the best with him mate.

i havent had a chance to inspect any of my animals before recieving them,...i guess i've been lucky and dealt with good honest people.

so sorry to hear what ur going thru grumpy, hope ur little guy gets better. :(

To think what could have been wrong with my Darwin is scary since I found her online.

The closest place I could get my Darwin was Adelaide and I live near Brisbane.

Should've check the snakie out before buying him... But still that is devastating. I hope he pulls through. People are such rats sometimes.

That is true to an extent, 'caveat emptor' or let the buyer beware, this has to be balanced against the fact that the seller must correctly describe the item, snake in this case and that it is fit to do what it is sold for.

From what you have said Grumpy it sounds to me like you have been misled by the seller, I would be taking things further, even if only to small claims court. The costs in this are small and each party represents themselves, so you avoid legal fees. Put this to the seller first and seek compensation from them.

I have been in a similar situation, luckily though my snake survived, after a $600 vet bill.

Good luck Grumpy.

We had a similar situation with a pedgree Labrador that we bought from a registered breeder about 3 years ago. Within 2 weeks of getting her she was regurgitating up every meal. After $1500 worth of tests it turns out she has severe megaoesophagus - a congenital condition that leads to the atrophy of the muscles in her oesophagus and causes regurgitation. Two other puppies in her litter were put down because of the same condition.

I contacted the breeder's association and they suggested negotiating with the breeder, and if there was no resolution, we could take her to the dept of fair trading.

You need to consider what you want from the breeder /seller though - they can offer you a replacement animal, but once you have bonded with your dog (or snake) you hardly want to swap them for a 'better' model; cover the cost of vet bills, or refund the cost of the animal. I would contact Office of Fair Trading and discuss your options, as you were clearly sold an animal under false pretences.

That is totally devasting, i certianly would be approaching the seller for compensation as based on the facts they are completely aware of the condition of the snake when they sold it to you.

sorry to hear about that, i couldnt cope if some scummer did that to me.i only buy off people locally and dont mind driving a few hours to get an animal.no one can do a number on you face to face.

Excuse me if I have missed something here, but have you ,or have you not asked the seller to refund your money or take the snake back ?

Cheers Dave

Well I would like to thank you all individually, I really appreciate your kind words. It actually does feel better to get things off our chest, and I suppose to realise that people do understand.

It is a shame that this sort of thing does happen, our only consolation is that we know our little man won't suffer anymore, we will do everything we can to help him. If his condition cannot be rectified, we will give him the best life possible. We will have to reduce the size of his feeds to make things easier for him and to reduce any risk of pain caused by swallowing. My hubby and I have already talked about it.. and if at any stage there is an indication that he is in pain, we will have him euthanized. :( I just hope it doesn't have to come to that.

And Dave, when I spoke with this person on the phone, I actually said " I don't even know what I expected to accomplish by phoning you, what do we do from here?" The response I got was, "well that's how I received him." In this person's defense.. I will admit I never actually came out and asked for the money back or for vet fees. I did tell them how much it had cost so far, and the response was... "well I didn't make any money on him, I sold him for what I paid for him." And you pretty much know the rest of the story.

Yes compensation would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I could never hand him back now, I would be worried as to what would happen to him, plus it'd be like asking to give away one of my kids!!

Once again, thank you for all your kind words and best wishes.

It's a hard decision to come to I'm afraid mate, but you're doing the right thing having him put down if he is suffering. Good on you for making that tough call, i know it sucks but you're a bigger person than a lot of other people who would keep him around for their own selfish reasons.

But lets not be all doom and gloom about it now, he still may pull through, so just hope everything goes smoothly for you mate. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back