Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha yeah, be nice to live somewhere i could keep more reps outside. i bumped the thread for madhatter, noticed on the intro that fish were kept. guess you did too lol

What type of shrimp is that Jason?

I ended up going on a bit of spending spree on my setups over the weekend, got shown this site from a mate Livefish.com.au - Australia's aquarium fish home delivery experts! they deliver most things you want for your aquarium setups ended up getting a few more plants,10 cherry shrimp,10 glass shrimp and a small school of emerald eye rasbora for the planted tank and a snow flake eel for the small marine tank and 2 Koran angelfish for my bigger reef setup ended up getting free shipping and they all came today alive and well. Now I'm just waiting for this guy to arrive I got for a top price of a member that was shutting one of his reef setups down on another forum I check out, this is a quick video of him in action, they throw punches as quick as a .22 bullet.

[video=youtube_share;6z3uYmExqEU]http://youtu.be/6z3uYmExqEU[/video]

It's a little local freshwate prawn.
I bumped the thread for him to lol.
Should all give him a frend request we can swap info.
Venomous1111 be carefull if you get one of them they smash tanks I would only put one of them in a pespect tank.

The shrimp smashes tanks?

I had the same idea with the oscars hence the 15mm glass.

Looks like a cave shrimp or whatever they are called, the little albino ones. (Jason's)

Last edited:
It's a mantis shrimp, I took one out of my tank that got in there with some rock they smash shells and coral not very good for a reef tank.

It's a little local freshwate prawn.
I bumped the thread for him to lol.
Should all give him a frend request we can swap info.
Venomous1111 be carefull if you get one of them they smash tanks I would only put one of them in a pespect tank.

Didn't think of that lol he was going to go in my big reef tank in my bedroom and take the risk with the other crustaceans but now I think I'll put him in the kitchen bench nano tank.. It's a little aquaone tank pretty sure its perspex that's got nothing but live rock and a couple of soft corals an see how he goes.

Here is a nice pic of one.
493267_ea8b175a831.jpg

No I meant yours looks like a cave shrimp jason.

The mantis are pretty cool, look at the colours!!

If they shoot you in the finger they send a shock right up your arm, not a nice feeling it's bad when you pick something
up and you don't know there there.

mine is just a freshwater prawn.

More like a tiny nail gun. Most people trap mantis shrimp and get rid of them as pests. When its quiet at night you can sometimes hear them tapping away. They can easily crack glass tanks.

dam his cool! so is the mantis. I cant wait to get more into salt water. I have been multi reading and taking notes on salt water a-z turtles and lizards. Pulled my shoulder and back today so now I have an excuse to sit on my *** and read all day! Looking at snow flake eels also, I hear they can be real pains if you give them too many hiding spots you will never see them lol.

I would love to see such a small thing like a mantis break a tank :O (edit I take it they break it by tapping at it with them arms not by ramming it as fish do?) . As for the oscars no chance with 15MM even 10-12 MM they wont be able too. I believe a Pacu under 3ft is rated for 15+mm break proof wise for some comparing lol. Whats the size of the tank? I got an amazing oscar and some grown servs + a baby saratoga yesterday. Must say a quality oscar looks so much better.

sense everyones here :D Do you guys use turtle salt in ponds + tanks? some people seem to say its bad others swear by it?

All my turtle tanks and most of my freshwater setups (with a couple of exceptions) get salt. I use reef salt as I like the extra trace elements it gives that normal aquarium salt doesn't have. I really think its helped my turtles and probably my fish too. I've had tanks up to mid-strength brackish so always have some salt lying around. I generally make sure they have some salt around winter as I think it helps them resist disease better.

What pacu are you allowed here? I know silver dollars are closely related but I thought most of the others were illegal.

Yeah I got the tank at a bargin, it was a custom build, 15mm starfire glass. A lady ordered it and found a scratch thats about 2cm long and refused to take it. I got it at half price. Its over 600Lt, the one im figuring out a stand for. The oscards are in smaller tanks at the moment, not fully grown so no problems yet.

I use turtle grit and river sand mix, rocks are really bad as they can eat them and it can cause issues. The turtle grit adds goodies and keeps ph stable as well as being easy for them to break down if they swallow it. Its on aft but its also avail from a number of shops now. Let me know if you cant find it.

Yes to salt, in all my tanks.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I used large gravel I understand if they cant fit it in there mouth easy they wont try to swallow it? I have a massive tub of turtle salt with trace elements was just unsure if I should use it or not. I read that if you have fungus in the water it can become salt immune which makes salt bathing them hard.

Starfire :D My favorites, all my 4 fts are this. Its amazing how clear they get, sometimes it seems the fish are just floating in air. 600lt so its around 6x2x2 I take it? as I said for the pressure lay wood under the pine stand or build/order a cabinet with a flat base. one thing I will say, be careful cleaning the glass starfire is scratch heaven compared to plate glass. all it takes is one little grain of sand or anything really lol.
Pacus are all Noxious, I still dont know how this Noxious thing works even more confused after seeing guppies on it. But you can get a few Pacus here mainly blacks but a few of the more fancy ones pop up.

I just tip a little salt water in mine it's already disolved.

Has any body ever used condies cristals.

5x3x4 or something, its an odd size, quite deep and high. I like it though, be good for sw if I ever do it. It has the run off bit in the back corner with pipe fittings in the bottom.

Salt is worth using. If they ever get a fungus infection you can get them out and put a bit of betadine on it and leave them out for an hour or so. If you have to you can do it a few times a day. Just wash it off before you put them back in or it will kill all the bacteria in bio filter.

Nope I havent used it.

Garlic is good every now and again. Rubbed on pellets.

You can get anything if you really want it. For me its not worth the penalties. I've heard its something like a 50 to 70 grand fine for piranha. They're not even that interesting as an aquarium fish. Getting a Pacu would be ridiculous. They just grow far too big for even a large tank in a normal sized house - if I was getting a pond I have other things I'd rather keep in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back