Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your murrays will eat a lot more plants and greens than the els's btw. I use the dried nori sheets from supermarket, just soak in water for a few min and throw it in, they love it. Also zucchini is really good, mostly peeled small sections. Try and wedge it in somewhere under the water. Unless you have an abundance of plants they will eat them all.

If I was going to get large pond fish I would prob get koi. Or a croc lol.

dam 5x3x4 starfire!!! I am jealous lol. thats a great size tank for anything apart for true monsters. lucky oscar!

your run off would be for a sump, If you ever need help with them I am here. I love sumps cheaper and better to run then any other common filtration method. Are you planning on just keeping oscars in there?

Seeing as its more wide your floor will be better suited the extra width will help it run across more floor supports. I would talk to a carpenter over a fish shop. Just make sure they understand the weight better yet ask if they have made fish tank stands before. Will be much cheaper for you in the long run, shops want too much for custom work imo.

Oscars, silver dollars, possibly a pleco (un decided as I hear a lot of diff things about it), blue yabbies.

Yeah I did really well, brand new, 1200 delivered. I have bought an eheim cannister but I dont know if Im going to use it. I was thinking sump and the good thing is the tank will never empty if something goes wrong. Never set up a sump so would be fun.

Yeah I have sourced a number of options for a stand but havent found what I want so Im just going to build the base myself then get a normal(ish) stand.

You can get anything if you really want it. For me its not worth the penalties. I've heard its something like a 50 to 70 grand fine for piranha. They're not even that interesting as an aquarium fish. Getting a Pacu would be ridiculous. They just grow far too big for even a large tank in a normal sized house - if I was getting a pond I have other things I'd rather keep in it.

yeah I know about the fines but guppys are on the list? I know over 100 people with them. Then some people say if depends where the fish comes from and who you deal with. Its just too confusing.

Piranhas are boring indeed. Even if you go down feeding them live food its nothing those angry tetras (insert proper name here xD) put on a better show imo. yes Pacus do grow huge but are also great fish to have if you can house them which very few people can do. They are very interesting to watch and behavior is very different. Pacus are not on the noxious list also. You would need a 20ft by 5ft tank to house them. theres a couple on monsterfishkeepers who are currently in there 4th year growing 2 pacus out who have started building this tank. I think if you can house them they are great to have if you cant house them theres youtube :) Plywood tanks are good for them and much cheaper. but great fish.

I am actually looking at a platinum barra they seem great too. I need to build an aquarium next I think lol...

Oscars love blue yabbies they won't last long.

What are you jealous about Sqirtle we have seen your setup lol. :D

hahaha yeah I know they will prob eat them, even with pipes and hiding places. Turtles love them as well.

Yeah I have a nice tank but you have a garage LOL

Oscars, silver dollars, possibly a pleco (un decided as I hear a lot of diff things about it), blue yabbies.

Yeah I did really well, brand new, 1200 delivered. I have bought an eheim cannister but I dont know if Im going to use it. I was thinking sump and the good thing is the tank will never empty if something goes wrong. Never set up a sump so would be fun.

Yeah I have sourced a number of options for a stand but havent found what I want so Im just going to build the base myself then get a normal(ish) stand.

Sounds good, Plecos get them if you like them dont expect them to be "cleaners" they produce more waste then they clean as most catfish do.

Thats a great price too! Personally ditch the canister. You wont get any flow with one canister even if your using a 2262 by eheim. Sumps will hold the water if sized to hold the water, you can also get sumps just to filter but can over flood if the power goes out. its very easy think of an extra large canister thats a square. you need your pvc to drain into the front area of the sump then run threw your media separated by baffles (sheets of glass sectioning off the sump) then into the pump which returns it.

if the tanks is already drilled its easy for you. measure the size of the hole this will tell you the bulkhead size you require which will also tell you how many LPH the hole will allow down. Match this to the amount of turn overs you want P/H * I would go with 3-4 *then you have a pump size you require add an extra 500L p/h onto and get the nearest output pump you can find. your tank wont drain more then the pump returns also but if your pumps returning more water then your hole can handle your main tank will over flow which is why its important to get the exact size of your hole. Hope this helps if you decide to go with a sump.

Hahah shhh! Its a nice size tank made out of starfire glass!! I had a little jump when I heard the size. What can I say amazing aquariums get me going.

You allso have to make sure the sump can hold the overflo water if the power go's out otherwise your sump will overflo.

The tank has a section that is separate from the main body of water with an adjustable top as to what level the water is in the tank before it flows into the section and out the holes in the base. This will eliminate the overflow of the sump if the power goes out and prob give me slightly more margin for a correct flow into the tank.

Yeah I know that about the pleco's but I do like them. :)

ah yes, measure from the pipe or overflow box to the area you plan to fill up too, run this into a tank voloume calculator, so you go normal width and length but change the hight to the area from box to marked point then you need a tank a bit bigger then this size, double is best but might be costly. you can always increase the hight of the pipe depending on how high its already set.

you have an overflow box? sits outside the tank?

But you have to add water to overflo so if you have a small sump you have to fill it past the pump and when the power
go's off that water has to run back into your sump, so if your sump is to small it fills your sump up and can over flo
I normaly fill the sump up first, but if it's not big anough the pump will drain it out.

3 holes in base and the bit on the top is adjustable

Ah yeah, like that Jesse.. lol should have looked before I went hunting for the camera

emptied the pond? ouch..

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Ah yup! Over flow box internal :) Same as a pipe just looks nicer, the top part is more of a surface skimmer and keeps the fish out, another great feature of a sump :)

Vinyl black background :D your gonna love that tank man. your holes look 1inch id have 2 pipes low and 1 pipe higher so you use 2 mains and 1 encase of an clog etc. you dont need pipes but you will have more advantages with them.

Sounds bad Jason sorry to hear :( did they die from the temp difference or?

You will be happy if you do! Worst comes to worst I have to come and help you plumb it no biggie :)

No from the clorine that hapend ages ago before I had the turtles.

I had one like that, I put mesh in the bottom and filled it with corse gravel to cut down the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back