Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It hapen'd ages ago so i'm over it I had a hole school of bream die thats why I turned it into a turtle pond.

Bio balls are good for that to.

donkeykong919

I am tease? :D

donkeykong919
IMG_1813.jpg
Haha, i saw this on monster fish keepers the other day.
I've just set up a coldwater brackish tank, with some bream and some little gobys, it's a 120 gallon 48x24x24"
Pics up later.

Haha, i saw this on monster fish keepers the other day.
I've just set up a coldwater brackish tank, with some bream and some little gobys, it's a 120 gallon 48x24x24"
Pics up later.

Hehehe, I love MFK and fishlore. I owe a few people there my fishes life lol I changed the room around so much looking at that! the pallet racking system runs side ways in between the 6fts like a side ways T then the sofa sits infront of it and the blue unit sits where the opening is with the reptile enclosure beside it! the gap left from the pine stand to the blue 2 tier 6ft stand is pretty much filled with my big tank :D only down side is its so big it kind of cuts out the 6fts but the fish come and say hello to me so all good!!

Your tank sounds nice I will be waiting for some pictures :)

Nice animals Heelssss. :D

Thanks Jason.s :) really needs a clean but honestly only the fittest survive in that tank lol :p

Hehehe, I love MFK and fishlore. I owe a few people there my fishes life lol I changed the room around so much looking at that! the pallet racking system runs side ways in between the 6fts like a side ways T then the sofa sits infront of it and the blue unit sits where the opening is with the reptile enclosure beside it! the gap left from the pine stand to the blue 2 tier 6ft stand is pretty much filled with my big tank :D only down side is its so big it kind of cuts out the 6fts but the fish come and say hello to me so all good!!

Your tank sounds nice I will be waiting for some pictures :)

You deary are insane! But insane is awesome. Make sure you post heaps of pics once it's all set up.

:) I guess I am insane lol.

quickie for all your coral growers, LED or MH? I have the option to get a MH unit (2x 250W + 4T5s) for my 5x2x2 I am selling but the power bill came yesterday and was 900$!!! I think there is something wrong in the house I only have 10 aquarium heaters running that are only on when I do a W/C all my pumps etc use under 1kw per hour its like 500Ws I dont use lights for tanks only 4 t10 room lights. So I have no clue whats jacking it up :S

Anyways I was thinking it might be smart to invest into a LED system over a MH system? I really want to keep my usage down as much as possible but want to get the best out of my coral tank, I was looking at a 4ft LED system with the idea of hanging it to reach over most of the 8ft tank but the prices are almost triple the MH prices!!

any input would be great, unsure which way to go.

If money wasn't a consideration I'd go with the LED's but I'm not a saltwater person so I don't know the differences when it comes to coral health etc.

Picked my jar up on Sunday and its already eating prawn meat from my hand. Photos tonight.

squirtle you want to go led, it is heaps cheaper to run at 3w per bulb you need about 20 bulbs for a 3ft area you can get all the colours you need to keep the coral growing for a 3ft area, 60w is cheap like a house bulb and they last for 10 years.

These pics might help I have been looking in to it as well for a 4ft, I have seen them in action the blues and the whites wired seperatly with dimers to get moon light, you can get the kits of the net and wire them your self to save money,
and they are bright, if you use them full strenth they can actualy burn the coral so you need dimers.
5253259840_9544e02dc4.jpg

led2_0.jpg

allwiring.jpg

Delux-Nano-Kit-460-333.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

Day time.

moon_lights.jpg

Moon light.

These are not my aquariums just used them for examples.

Hope that help a little bit.

Last edited:
I like the idea of an led setup. I have a mh light for the tank Im setting up but Im not that keen to use it. Think I might sell it or try and swap it for led. The moonlight looks great. Where are some good places to get them and what are the average price ranges?

:) I guess I am insane lol.

quickie for all your coral growers, LED or MH? I have the option to get a MH unit (2x 250W + 4T5s) for my 5x2x2 I am selling but the power bill came yesterday and was 900$!!! I think there is something wrong in the house I only have 10 aquarium heaters running that are only on when I do a W/C all my pumps etc use under 1kw per hour its like 500Ws I dont use lights for tanks only 4 t10 room lights. So I have no clue whats jacking it up :S

Anyways I was thinking it might be smart to invest into a LED system over a MH system? I really want to keep my usage down as much as possible but want to get the best out of my coral tank, I was looking at a 4ft LED system with the idea of hanging it to reach over most of the 8ft tank but the prices are almost triple the MH prices!!

any input would be great, unsure which way to go.

Are going to be running an 8ft reef setup? lol

I'm running LEDs on all my fw setups apart from the new planted tank I've getting going which is running three t5s all of my sw setups are MW but I'm about to change my 2 main reef setups to Illumagic Blaze C-Series, check this site out gives you heaps of info on LEDs and reef setups

LFS Direct - About LFS Direct

I like the idea of an led setup. I have a mh light for the tank Im setting up but Im not that keen to use it. Think I might sell it or try and swap it for led. The moonlight looks great. Where are some good places to get them and what are the average price ranges?

If your running MH and have a reflector with a double or even a triple with separate switches for each outlet then go a marine glow tube gives of the same blue look..

Last edited:
Your looking for blue actinic it makes the coral glow and gives you the moon light, but they onley good for six months then they loose there strenth and there expensive.

3w x 20 = 60watts. my 4foot flouros are only 36watt and I have 2foot ones around they are 18watt, which would lead me to believe that 3foots would be about 27watt? Otherwise looks unreal I think.

are they luxeon leds?

Flouros don't give out as mutch light as the led's

For a 4ft marine tank you need 3 of them Deep Ocean, Blue Actinic, and Sun Glo that comes to 108w.

One flouro won't grow your coral.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Not too sure how safe I would feel building one! if I stuff up the wires cant I start a fire?

Spent most the day reading MH VS LED and seems LEDs are much better apart for the $$ up front for a decent unit with the right spectrum's. They kept recommending one unit so I went and had a look $4000 O_O!

Yes venomous thats the plan, I have those 2x 8ft on a tier with 7ft sump and after watching a bit too much tanked I have decided to set them up as salt water, top one coral and middle one fake coral with fish. then I plan to turn the middle one into a live coral tank in 2-3 years. Using the 4ft as my salt water dummy tank to get my experience up. once I get the 8s going for a good amount of time going to try turning the 4ft into a octopus tank. Ultimate goal is I have had a dream sense I was about 8 to have a whole wall in my bedroom one big tank and so far have not found anything worthy enough but after seeing some of these coral with fish tanks I think thats my goal.

So the lights have to run at night also for the corals? or is that just for personal viewing? Also has anyone tried using a smaller light then your tank and hanging it to get a better spread. I do it with fw for example if you hang a 4ft you can light up a whole 6ft long as its not too deep. wondering if I could do the same with coral tank hmm! Not up to corals in my salt water wiki book.

I belive you can get kits for around $270, but if you wire them rong there stuffed you do need that blue through the day
but the night is just to show off the corals colours but you can program it to simulate the moon wich would also be good
for the coral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back