Are we creating weaker animals through the hobby?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget most predators probably with the exception of birds don't have colour vision or if they do it is limited, so bright colours wouldn't necessarily make them stand out all that much more then drab colours.

Then you need to talk to some of the long time jungle breeders. The best you have seen in captivity has its wild counterpart.

I had this conversation years ago with one fella and he produced pictures of wild jungles that would slam your jaw to hard on the ground. Striped, 50/50, high yellows they all exist in the wild.
well send me the evidence and i will take more note of your way of thinking, i am not going to listen to some "i spoke with a man who has no name who knew a guy who had a dog, who bought said dog off of a guy who knew some pretty snakes in the wild" and take that as gospel. i know you like the last laugh so say what you want after this, at the end of the day it is all rather moot as there is no way anyone is going to spend the money and time to scientifically prove this out one way or another.

Don't forget most predators probably with the exception of birds don't have colour vision or if they do it is limited, so bright colours wouldn't necessarily make them stand out all that much more then drab colours.
this is the type of info that is great for this type of conversation.
what then would be the basis for animals to adapt camoflage to suit their environment? from predators or prey?

Last edited:
what about (leaving jungles as the basis for my example) black and white jungles that have been bred for a reduction in pattern? (let's leave rpm out of the discussion) just a genuine non-jag animal that has been bred for the pattern loss, thus leaving the animal with more white in it than what is typically found in the wild? i am not trying to say that every animal would die in the wild, but i believe that more of the "designer" animals would have a harder time in the wild than their more "normal" counterparts. hell i could be wrong but i guess the only way to find out for sure would be with radio tracking released animals.

I can only speculate because i have only been to qld once which was 16years ago but i have no doubt that an otherwise healthy snake with more or less pattern as you described would have just as high of a chance at surviving as any other. It is essentially still the same pattern and it is still the same colour.

But try this on for size. This was a wild snake.

IMG_7542.jpg

yeah a wild snake that has obviously been attacked! not exactly great evidence to prove your point! like i said, i am not denying that there are some amazing animals out there, but i bet those ones have more odds against them and from a population of say 1000 how many are your bright wonderful critters?

well send me the evidence and i will take more note of your way of thinking, i am not going to listen to some "i spoke with a man who has no name who knew a guy who had a dog, who bought said dog off of a guy who knew some pretty snakes in the wild" and take that as gospel. i know you like the last laugh so say what you want after this, at the end of the day it is all rather moot as there is no way anyone is going to spend the money and time to scientifically prove this out one way or another.

this is the type of info that is great for this type of conversation.
what then would be the basis for animals to adapt camoflage to suit their environment? from predators or prey?

I just looked over the paper and it doesn't show the pictures that i recalled it having. But it did show jungles and coastals living in the same habitat... so i think that says something. I think one of the pictures is published in Richard Shine's book 'AUstralian Snakes, a Natural History' it is s fully striped black and yellow jungle. So go figure.

I think one of the reasons we see people working so hard and long on their projects is because they are trying to refine their lines so they a) hold their colour longer and b) make the occurences of these patterns and colours more predictable.

yeah a wild snake that has obviously been attacked! not exactly great evidence to prove your point! like i said, i am not denying that there are some amazing animals out there, but i bet those ones have more odds against them and from a population of say 1000 how many are your bright wonderful critters?

How much time have you spent in the feild? Serious question... Are you arguing that that snakes is not alive and wild (it isn't anymore but that is another story)? That injury was from me pulling it out of a door frame.

So you are not denying that i am right? I'm getting a little lost here in your argument. It doesn't matter out of how many there are xxx amount that we think are brighter than others, the fact is that there are some and they do just fine in the wild. The fact that i have pictures like the one i just posted and the fact that we find living exotic carpets that are obvious escapees makes that point.

Last edited:
I just looked over the paper and it doesn't show the pictures that i recalled it having. But it did show jungles and coastals living in the same habitat... so i think that says something. I think one of the pictures is published in Richard Shine's book 'AUstralian Snakes, a Natural History' it is s fully striped black and yellow jungle. So go figure.

I think one of the reasons we see people working so hard and long on their projects is because they are trying to refine their lines so they a) hold their colour longer and b) make the occurences of these patterns and colours more predictable.
so really no solid evidence to prove your claim. i can just as easily take a pic of a captive animal, put it in natural settings and sell said photo to someone for their book.

so really no solid evidence to prove your claim. i can just as easily take a pic of a captive animal, put it in natural settings and sell said photo to someone for their book.

Are you serious? Where is the evidence for your claims that they don't survive in the wild? All you can point to is people line breeding for certain traits. And you are accusing me of making up evidence.

no as i stated, it is my opinion. i am in no way stating this as fact like you are. as i also stated the only way we can prove any of this is by doing an actual scientific study. i am stating opinion and pointing out your flaws, you are trying to pass of heresay as fact!

FACT IS SUNSHINE that these snakes exist in the wild. Just because we see them as being something different doesn't mean the wild does!

no as i stated, it is my opinion. i am in no way stating this as fact like you are. as i also stated the only way we can prove any of this is by doing an actual scientific study. i am stating opinion and pointing out your flaws, you are trying to pass of heresay as fact!

yep and did you not see my post about albinos in the wild? or do you have to google that too?

Did i not just post one of my own pictures? Of a snake that i found? If i bothered to take more photos i could show you more.

I'll ask you again, how much feild experience do you have?

did your mother drop you on your head as a baby? or does your overwelming need to be right on everything make you so blind with rage that you are unable to read?

Well i'm stating FACTS and the flaws in your opinion! And i'm getting wild cause you are accusing me of making this up!

when did you ask me in the first place? did you not see my reply to your photo? let me restate everything i have said so that even you can clearly understand it.
a. yes these animals do occur in the wild, but they are incredibly rare.
b. out of a certain number of animals found, just how many are really spectacular in colour or pattern? not just snakes.
c. how many albinos are spotted in the wild? the fact that seeing albinos in the wild is such a rare occurance just goes to prove my point.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter about field experience, master google skills, who is the better debater, you still can't provide any solid evidence other than a pic of 1 animal, a few articles on albinos that provided more evidence for me than you and the words of some nameless guy who spoke to you several years ago about (surprisingly) this very topic!

none of this can be backed up with any real SCIENTIFIC evidence. so my OPINION stands until you get a thousand jags or albinos and release them into the wild with radio tracking and then do the exact same with "normal" looking animals.

when did you ask me in the first place? Post number 65! did you not see my reply to your photo? Yes i did, you made the assumption that it had been attacked, aaccused me of staging the shot and discounted it as no evidence at all! let me restate everything i have said so that even you can clearly understand it.
a. yes these animals do occur in the wild, but they are incredibly rare.
b. out of a certain number of animals found, just how many are really spectacular in colour or pattern? That is a question not a statement genius! not just snakes.
c. how many albinos are spotted in the wild? Another question! the fact that seeing albinos in the wild is such a rare occurance just goes to prove my point. No it doesn't!

at the end of the day it doesn't matter about field experience It certaintly does, unless you have been into the feild on a number of occasions and racked up a few hundred sightings you have no idea what the wild types really can look like, master google skills It would certaintly help your cause if you could do even a little bit of research, who is the better debater, you still can't provide any solid evidence other than a pic of 1 animal Challenge accepted! I'll start as soon as i go back out in the bush and i'll keep this thread updated just for you!, a few articles on albinos that provided more evidence for me than you and the words of some nameless guy who spoke to you several years ago about (surprisingly) this very topic! better than your opinions champ!

none of this can be backed up with any real SCIENTIFIC evidence. so my OPINION stands until you get a thousand jags or albinos and release them into the wild with radio tracking and then do the exact same with "normal" looking animals. Your opinion stands for nothing if you have nothing to back it up with.

Seriously, where do you think the gentics for all the things you croon over come from?

Too much arguing going on in here.

For starters recessive doesn't necessarily mean the gene is weaker. It just means you need two of them to be visible in the animal.

Aesthetics doesn't play THAT much of a role in the survival chances of a reptile (or any animal). It might however play a heavier role in social hierarchy and breeding in the wild. In some species, females judge their mates based on various characteristics, and males fight each other over characteristics they perceive to be dominant or inferior. It doesn't mean that those traits are weaker, but if that animal gets into more fights because of it, the abuse will wear on it. If the albino trait is considered undesirable in the group, females will reject it, and other males will stand off more aggressively. As a result, the recessive genes rarely get passed on.

In captivity the breeding selection is more controlled, that same morph that would have gotten into dozens of fights in the wild is kept in isolation with a female who makes due with what she has available.

I see the opposite. Selective breeding will eventually lead to demise, particularly if inbreeding is involved or the genetic pool is small. To add vigor and fitness to captive populations will requite out-breeding with wild individuals. That's my opinion.

With the thousands of bloodlines for carpets out there I would think we need no more wild genes for those
Probably the same could be said for most species
I completely agree that a limited number of species have come from a very few wild captures but surely these would be in a minority
Breeding for colour will definitely use a much smaller genetic group and eventually this may cause problems

Sorry I'm a bit late with this but the brightest and best jungles are still in the bush thats just a fact, and coastals and jungles are found in the same areas in I have found coastals here in the heart of jungle territory. If there are brighter coloured jungles in captivity to those in the wild I am yet to see one.Wild Jungles have a wide variation in colour and patterning in small areas as do coastal carpets. The brightest yellow jungle and the brightest white jungles I have seen have been wild ones.

cheers
Scott

I can only speculate because i have only been to qld once which was 16years ago but i have no doubt that an otherwise healthy snake with more or less pattern as you described would have just as high of a chance at surviving as any other. It is essentially still the same pattern and it is still the same colour.

But try this on for size. This was a wild snake.

IMG_7542.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back