Are we creating weaker animals through the hobby?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the thousands of bloodlines for carpets out there I would think we need no more wild genes for those
Probably the same could be said for most species
I completely agree that a limited number of species have come from a very few wild captures but surely these would be in a minority

I would think RSPs and native GTPs could be at risk of inbreeding over period of time. They may be in a minority but they are very popular species.

I would think RSPs and native GTPs could be at risk of inbreeding over period of time. They may be in a minority but they are very popular species.
And of course the ooenpeli when it kicks off.
Any Idea Michael of how many Natives were brought into captivity from Hemmens and others? And how many would be a good/safe control stock to keep these guys pure and strong in for the long term forseable future?
With RSPs, were there like a dozen original animals from John Weigel?

Thanks mate.

And of course the ooenpeli when it kicks off.
Any Idea Michael of how many Natives were brought into captivity from Hemmens and others? And how many would be a good/safe control stock to keep these guys pure and strong in for the long term forseable future?
With RSPs, were there like a dozen original animals from John Weigel?

Thanks mate.

I don't think John collected that many but I am not sure.
I don't want to comment on greens, it's a Pandora's box. One thing I know for sure, there were more wild ones brought onto collections after the amnesty than before. The gene pool is probably OK, what isn't OK; (some) people are out-breeding them with non-natives, some even passing the progeny on as pure natives. It's an ocean of murky water and we are swimming in it.

Can agree with the Oenpellis and RSPs and possibly with the chondros
But thats only a few species out of many that are kept

International sellers always use genetic diversity as an excuse to pillage areas
Would hate to even think of that happening in Aus
So if collection was permitted it would have to be under the tightest reins imaginable

Nicest jungle I have ever seen is hopefully still cruising around
black and gold bands with each band about 2 inches wide
absolutely stunning animal that I have never seen anything to compare
I know there are some beauties being bred now but this one looked like a coral snake the bands were so clear
On the old Palmerston rd found a dead fully striped b/g too
Saw a b/w that looked like a chess board near Mt Molloy
So they are out there
Memory serves me a photo in APS a few months ago of a pretty big near full stripe wild carpet in or near Brisbane too??

Can agree with the Oenpellis and RSPs and possibly with the chondros
But thats only a few species out of many that are kept

International sellers always use genetic diversity as an excuse to pillage areas
Would hate to even think of that happening in Aus
So if collection was permitted it would have to be under the tightest reins imaginable

Nicest jungle I have ever seen is hopefully still cruising around
black and gold bands with each band about 2 inches wide
absolutely stunning animal that I have never seen anything to compare
I know there are some beauties being bred now but this one looked like a coral snake the bands were so clear
On the old Palmerston rd found a dead fully striped b/g too
Saw a b/w that looked like a chess board near Mt Molloy
So they are out there
Memory serves me a photo in APS a few months ago of a pretty big near full stripe wild carpet in or near Brisbane too??

Sshhhhhhhh don't tell Hrafna...

:lol:

Sshhhhhhhh don't tell Hrafna...

:lol:
you really are a moron! i never denied that they are not out there but for every amazing one how many butt ugly ones are out there. but i bet you will go google some more articles and then claim that you MUST know everything. i really couldn't be bothered continuing the same old rubbish with you but your smartass comment is abit much. esp since it was done with awhile ago.

Last edited:
you really are a moron! i never denied that they are not out there but for every amazing one how many butt ugly ones are out there. but i bet you will go google some more articles and then claim that you MUST know everything. i really couldn't be bothered continuing the same old rubbish with you but your smartass comment is abit much. esp since it was done with awhile ago.

Hahahaha why are you so twisted about this? You really appeared to have a beef as soon as i commented in this thread. It was just a joke champ, hence the smiley, lighten up a little.

If you choose to ignore the experience of the other feild herpers in this thread then that is your perogative and more power to you. I disagreed with what you said, i explained why and i offered some evidence to support my claim. You got your knickers in a twist, i'm not sure why because i was pretty mild mannered until you began accusing me of making things up and without any evidence ignored what i said. Now others have come into the thread saying similar things and you are still upset.

Your claim was that what you see as an amazing animal will not survive in the wild. I claimed that they will probably do just fine.

If you read through our posts in this thread i don't think you'll find me as the instigator of the smartass comments.

hrafna how can you say for every nice one how many butt ugly ones are there there is no such thing as a butt ugly reptile if you are a genuine reptile enthusiast. if you only want the prettiest and the best then you are not a hobbyist you are just a show off

We are doing the same thing [ breeding in weakness ] with humans . How many of our laws are in place to stop stupid people killing themselves off . This is meant to happen , when a person dies due to their own stupidity the gene pool is improved . I say " Live and let Die " .

We are doing the same thing [ breeding in weakness ] with humans . How many of our laws are in place to stop stupid people killing themselves off . This is meant to happen , when a person dies due to their own stupidity the gene pool is improved . I say " Live and let Die " .

Wow, this is getting serious. I just wish to point out to those of you who have seen the movie Deliverance - the folks in that village looked bit like designer morph carpets laced with the jag gene :D but the banjo sounded goooood.

Happy new year!

hrafna how can you say for every nice one how many butt ugly ones are there there is no such thing as a butt ugly reptile if you are a genuine reptile enthusiast. if you only want the prettiest and the best then you are not a hobbyist you are just a show off
no i don't want the prettiest and the best, my fave snake is the md, considered by many within the hobby as a dull snake. infact i don't like the look of b+y jungles or jags and as such will probably never keep them, but this is a topic of wild animals vs captive bred animals. which is why it is being discussed. would you rather i said dull or plain patterned/coloured animals?

I don't see why we are discussing a snakes colour?
Sure some are being bred that are brighter, stripier, whiter but at the end of the day
they are still colours that exist in the wild. To our eyes they may seem totally different but
a snakes ability to blend in with it's surroundings isn't going to be significantly altered at all. Unless someone
breeds a bright purple or hot pink one which doen't seem very likely.

We are however breeding snakes that require no ability to hunt as they are fed constantly whereas
in the wild a snake who can't hunt wont last long. So maybe we are breeding weaker animals but it's irrelevant as they will not be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back