Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeWrangler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I might find some stats about the average size of the various pythons. I remember when I was deciding what snake to get first I thought coastals and such might be too big as they grew to around 3m but as time has gone by I have noticed that more and more people are talking about coastals that are relatively small (compared to 3m). How long should it take a coastal to reach 3m (10ft)?

This may be another one of those topics that get beaten to death but I am just wondering what I really should be expecting from my pythons.

Cheers.

I've seen some really old captive coastals that were no longer than 6-7 foot but very girthy with big boofy heads.

Sw, no matter what the species of snakes you get varying maximun sizes. Just like humans are all different sizes, so are snakes.

Locations, with specific type races can vary greatly within a wide range a species is encounted.

Brisbane Carpets have allegably been found at a massive 14 ft just north of Brisbane, however the average max size would be more like 8ft long.

Proserpine Carpets have allegably been found at 9.5 ft, but the average would be 6.5 to 7 ft long.

With the exception of the Jungles which are a lot smaller, you could safely say most Carpets species average sizes would be between 6.5 to 8 ft in length.

Now before everyone rushes in to post about their monsters, remember we are talking overall average max sizes. We are aware there are exceptions

Thanks bigguy, this is exactly the kind of info I am after.

What would the average girth size be for each python. I understand that there will always be variations, but I am trying to work out if my snakes are of a good size for their age or not, I want to grow them to their full potential without having them under or over weight.

I would also like info for all of the various pythons (not just carpets), that is why I am looking for some kind of resource that has this kind of data in it, I don't expect anyone to supply it all themselves (unless you want too ;)).

Cheers and thanks for the info.

Thanks pugsly, I have seen that site before but it has olives listed as the same size as coastals and bredlis. Is that really the case? I thought olives routinely grew much larger.

mm no idea to be honest, sure someone else will fill ya in though. what were you lookin at getting?

I already have snakes, 2 coastals, 2 macs and 1 bredli. I am asking this so that I can determine how well my current snakes are doing.

My next addition will be a partner for my bredli though.

Cheers.

Ah ok cool nice selection I love Macs thats my next snake (two weeks hopefully) I think the only 100% way to check is a vet visit probably.

Yeah, by all appearences they are doing well, they appear very healthy constantly showing noticable growth. When I say I want to check how well they are doing, I mean in size, I mean if the bulk of their growth is done in the first few years then I want to be sure that they are of the average size by that time, I don't want them to stop at 5-6ft, I want my large ones to be 8-10ft!! :)

Hi Snakewrangler,

Check out the photo with ad 509-504 on the Herptrader, a beauty of a Coastal...8ft... :D

This table includes the average size of Australian pythons based on Rick Shines data. It does not go into details of sub species or race but it is a good starting point.

From my observations most of the sizes reported are on the small size but I suspect that captive pythons are bigger due to consistent nutrition and other factors.

BreedSize.jpg

Reticulated pythons can reach 10 metres if that is any help :)

isnt that table just the breeding size measurements?? not what length they grow too??

Have a look at the headings.

The columns you are interested in are "Male size" and "Female size".

Rick Shine gave me permission to reproduce the whole appendix from his book "Australian Snakes".

The breeding size columns were calculated by me based on the other information in the appendix heading.

pugsly said:
isnt that table just the breeding size measurements?? not what length they grow too??

Average - Not maximum.

I my experience captive animals tend to get a bit larger.

SnakeWrangler said:
So is the average scrub python size only 8ft??

I thought those things were supposed to be monsters!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back