axanthic calico bhp??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deebo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
has anyone put a calico bhp over an axanthic bhp and if so what were the results? would you end up with abhp that sheds its stripes/markings to make it appear almost patternless?

Was just wondering this as I was watching the cricket...

Cheers,
Dave

now i know why i dont like cricket. i guess you were bored with it. to answer your question. i havent done it. id love to have both in my collection, but id think you would breed as percentage of both in the clutch. hope theres someone that can tell me if im right or wrong

haha, crickets not that bad but my mind just wanders a lot!

The morph (for lack of a better word) has been proven to be genetically inheritable although we are yet to understand at what level. The majority of 'calicos' around trace back to one breeder. In one of our breedings we have produced 4 'calicos' (3 girls, 1 boy) all siblings from a selective mating, time will tell how many more from later clutches will change.

This season I'll be doing an F1 backcross with a younger animal. Hopefully the results from that pairing will shed more light...

Last edited:
what is an calico
and
what is an axanthic

'Calicos'...
calgirllong.jpg

callay2.jpg

callay1.jpg

nooo.jpg

you have me green with envy den very nice

re axanthic

Neil sonnemann had a pairing of them last year,didnt see the results yet,hot looking snakes den!

They are unreal mate! well done Den! hope to see some hit the market this yr.

The loss of pattern or colour can be highly variable on calico snakes. Correct?
(Such as den's and neils compared to other almost patternless calico's recently posted)

Do calico ball pythons turn calico when they reach an age of sexual maturity or are they born calico in appearence?

Correct me if Im wrong (not a genetics wizz)

It is an interesting concept, but if you are starting from scratch, with a Calico and Axanthic.
It would take at least 9 years of selective breeding, before you had a white patternless BHP.
That is if you get lucky 1st time round, breeding the possable hets that the Calico and Axanthic produce.

You would need a Calico that is het for Axanthic and an Axanthic that has the Calico genes,
to produce an animal that is white with faded out pattern.
On top of that, you would have to wait until the animal matures before you see the results.

Den those Calicos are stunners mate.
There are only 2 people in Oz that can make me jealous of their BHPs ;)

Hooglabah what is an calico
and
what is an axanthic

Hooglabah, this is an Axanthic BHP (No Yellow pigmentation)

Attachments

• BHP Alexis D.jpg
    BHP Alexis D.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 282
  • BHP Alexis Climbing.jpg
    BHP Alexis Climbing.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
iirc axanthic's are actually QLD locals that have no yellow or cream in thier colouring.
Much bigger than w.a's get.

Ta Zulu and levis, fingers crossed the F1 backcross helps us to understand a few things.

Reptilia. My personal opinion of these 'calicos' is that they are different to the calico colours seen in other overseas pythons. We use the term lightly as an explanation or example of colour. BHP's like mine, Neils, Swampies and other's aren't born showing the 'lack of melanin' patches , the colour is almost shed out around the age of sexual maturity. The phenomenon in change is as yet not understood. At first thought some opinions were that the change was similar to the ontenic/ontogenetic and hormonal blue changes in green pythons but seeing as the colour is shed out the similarities to these changes are very few...

Ta Andy, definitely a long process hey!

mistymtn. Most WA BHPs are naturally black and white, kind of a locale colour phase. Axanthics however are a recessive genetic mutation, the same basis as albinos; hets produced from an axanthic to normal pairing..

Awesome pics den. I cant decide what I want next. Woma or Black headed. You just made the decision alot harder. Maybe get both although that could put me in the doghouse for quite some time.

Got myself a pair of Axanthic's on order for next year - cant wait.
Looks like the calico's fell through..................

thanks for the info guys just to recap
a calico has less black pigment on the body
a Axanthic has almost no cream or yellow pigment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back