axanthic calico bhp??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im also of the opinion that it is a organ/glandular driven morph, the age linked change doesnt really promote otherwise. That doesnt take away from the fact that it is inheritable, or even that failures or malfunctions in the systems are debilitating at all.... T- albinos (traditional albinos) have a genetic inheritable malfunction that makes them un-able to produce tyronaise, an enzyme utilised by the melanophores to produce melanin (dark pigment) .... T+ albinos, a malfunction in the melanophores themselves, so all the precursors (tyronaise and such) necessary to produce melanin are there, though for some reason the melanophores dont function correctly. This far, the calicos seem as stable as both of these examples.

Andyscott, I dont know where you plucked your random 9 yr strategy from lol. I can think of a few ways you could go about achieving the project, and none of them would take the best part of a decade.

re axanthic

I saw some axanthics when i was over at stuart barnes a while ago,he has been producing them for a long time,he had some other types of bhps,i didnt take them all in as i was too busy looking at all the little gtps,just too much to handle at one time.

i have a big calico male it looks like dens female with the eggs will breed it with female out of calico this year and i have sum 100% hets to xanthic that i will breed this year then i will breed sum xanthic females with my calico male so will let you no in about 4 to 6 years or so

Den. those bhp's are stunners. absolutely gorgeous. cant wait to see what they can produce.
mel :)

Ok, I've got a question. I havent read all this thread as im at work and just snuck onto the computer in my break. I have a Nt BHP that is loosing colour in a scale every time he sheds. At this stage they are on his belly but about 6/7 have changed so far.He is last seasons hatchling, so still young. Is he a possible calico, he wasnt sold to me as one, and have seen pictures of his parents and they are normal colours, or could something be wrong?

Im also of the opinion that it is a organ/glandular driven morph, the age linked change doesnt really promote otherwise. That doesnt take away from the fact that it is inheritable, or even that failures or malfunctions in the systems are debilitating at all.... T- albinos (traditional albinos) have a genetic inheritable malfunction that makes them un-able to produce tyronaise, an enzyme utilised by the melanophores to produce melanin (dark pigment) .... T+ albinos, a malfunction in the melanophores themselves, so all the precursors (tyronaise and such) necessary to produce melanin are there, though for some reason the melanophores dont function correctly. This far, the calicos seem as stable as both of these examples.

So on that basis would the 'rules' for an inheritable genetic trait still apply regardless of the cause? As in hets (visual or otherwise) with a Homozygous to wild-type pairing.

Ta Mels;-)

The rules always apply in genetics, though sometimes in the herp game there is tendency to use a super-simplified version of "the rules".

Ta herps, so if it's an organ/glandular driven morph the F1 backcross would still prove it's basis of inheritability (recessive, co-dom)? Just want to clarify...

Last edited:
Scout; Post a pic mate, would like to see if the change can happen at a young age.

It has me buggered how people get time to post in multiple topic threads with opinions and thoughts. This thread alone has taken nearly 2 hrs out of my day!

Ta herps, so if it's an organ/glandular driven morph the F1 backcross would still prove it's basis of inheritability (recessive, co-dom)? Just want to clarify...

Not all traits have 100% penetrance, if that's the case it will play havoc on your ratio's of offspring. Providing it is controlled by a single gene.

calicos start out as a normal looking bhp and turn calico at around 2-3years of age. Den has quite a few calicos pairings so hes your best bet to get onto.
although remember its not really a proven thing,theres no way you can tell if the animal is going to change to calico or not.

the calico mutation or gene is a naturally occuring thing so its not just common from one locality.
In bhp's i have seen it in QLD and NT'S locals animals. also occurs in other species.

Den,

I know you use the term 'Calico' loosely, but wouldn't hypo be more fitting? After all the definition of the term 'Calico' means;

• Calico
Calico animals develop varying amounts of white scattered patches, usually during later years of life, although some appear calico at birth. The spots are usually small, appearing as freckles which may form into larger blotches. Often the white is concentrated in areas where white pigmentation normally appears, such as around edges of markings.

And in ball pythons as an example the really do have patches of white. Here is a link with pics as an example; The Snake Keeper - Dan & Colette Sutherland

See what I mean? Your BHP's, while beautiful and I'd have one any day of the week, have a reduction of black (hypo) not patches of white (calico).

These ones of swampies appear to be calico as they have the patches of white, http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes/calico-bhp-pics-71784

I'm happy to be corrected about my thoughts. I'm just going off the definitions.

Cheers,

Corey.

Derek breeds some stunning BHPs,nearly as good as Dens...LOL i think that deserves one off your nice BHPs dont you Den....

heres a pic of one of denvers which id say is "calico" more then hypo. hypo comes out of the egg where as these "calicos" dont they turn gradually. some clean up real nice as the pics so far have displayed but some dont like this one of the denvers that has recently just changed....

also hypos tend to get more black with age not loose black with age?

28052009928600x450.jpg

28052009927600x450.jpg

and some pics of what id call a "hypo" in bhp,more so then the "calicos".

Red.jpg

light600x450.jpg

and yeah these hot snakes were bred by denver:)

smit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back