axanthic calico bhp??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to think along the same lines as Baden does.It seems to happen to some animals at vastly different ages.I have 2 here that are starting to lose pigment here and there and from what I have been told it progresses with each and every shed.One is around 5 years old and the other is around 20 !

Den. Do you think as time progresses your bhp's will almost become patternless? or do you think they will hold the current pattern?

That would be nice mate but the patterns will never change, only the pigment colour will. If and when more is known a few of the people working on them may breed them with some pinstripe animals, the goal being a near patternless white/pink BHP. Kind of like the animal in my sig only thinner bands.

I tend to think along the same lines as Baden does.It seems to happen to some animals at vastly different ages.I have 2 here that are starting to lose pigment here and there and from what I have been told it progresses with each and every shed.One is around 5 years old and the other is around 20 !

Yeah mate, interesting change hey. The most common age of change is 2.5yrs of age. I'm not sure why they change, there are many factors involved that could prove true. The F1 backcross I mentioned is a bit of a trial to determine if it is to be a proven genetic trait. So far I have had 4 change out of a clutch of 12. I also have a male here that is undergoing the change, he is a little small but hopefully next season (if not this one) he will work.

I don't want to go to far offtrack, but does anyone know if the BHP known as "BumbleBee", (which I assume would be referred to as xanthic) Was a differant coloured animal from hatching or was it a gradual change?

For a change to be happening like it seems to be in my examples suggests to me that its a vit/mineral type deficiency or a problem with some organ,a genetic cause would be near the bottom of my list of probabilities. The reason I am leaning towards the former though is that the only change that has happened in this lot have been diet.Up until recently they have always been on a diet of rats now its predominantly quail.Maybe a coincidence but I doubt it very much given the ages involved.

Last edited:
That would be nice mate but the patterns will never change, only the pigment colour will. If and when more is known a few of the people working on them may breed them with some pinstripe animals, the goal being a near patternless white/pink BHP. Kind of like the animal in my sig only thinner bands.

I get ya, So the orange bands will just become lighter in colour and possibly keep losing pigment and eventually become patternless.

Yeah Rams, the thyroid thing has merit too. An abnormality in the chemicals released by the thyroid maybe?? Dunno, hence the planned F1 backcross. It will either confirm the genetic 'morph' link or confirm another abnormality present. An interesting project to work on.

I don't believe food has anything to do with the change myself. I have never changed any of my animal’s diets, neither has a few other keepers that I've chatted to.

If you are interested we could take samples of all the 'calicos' (or most) in aus and run some tests. If you could take samples from yours maybe myself and others could do the same. Answer some more questions...

Lol, sorry den. They dont become patternless but just have a lighter pigment.
I thought i saw a pic of a patternless bhp but just found the pic and it still has pattern.

Attachments

• calico bhp.jpg
    calico bhp.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 172
I get ya, So the orange bands will just become lighter in colour and possibly keep losing pigment and eventually become patternless.

Kinda, I think the pigment in the bandings will always be darker (the same as Albino Darwins) and the background will be lighter. Pinstripe BHPs have very thin bands, introducing some pinstripe blood would in time reduce the thickness to the bare minimum.

caustichumor; Dave from Pilbara Pythons could fill you in on the Bumble Bee. It is a WA animal mate, he owns it.

Definately an interesting project.
What do you think will be the result of a calico x calico mating?

You know how excited I am about this project, only slightly less than you I think :) Ignore the rubbish, some people just want to argue.

One more thing guys. Kind of out of left feild but If any of my posts on this or other subjects comes across as arrogant I apologise. Alot can be misconstrued through text. I just seem to be getting a few people off side lately, definitely not my intention.

When I was looking at some pics before i thought that this may be a calico with the pigmentation becoming darker, but it also seems to be losing pattern also.

Attachments

• bredli female.jpg
    bredli female.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 181
You know how excited I am about this project, only slightly less than you I think :) Ignore the rubbish, some people just want to argue.

Cool, thanks Ash. I thought I was doing something wrong in order to become a magnet for arguments.

No problem, believe me it is NOT you and I have long been a magnet for stupid comments ;)

so would i den. I know that theres other in existence. My friend got one off pails a couple of years back that is beginning to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back