axanthic calico bhp??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes mate, the 'calico' BHPs in question shed out the brown and black colours replacing the dark scales with white, pink and apricot patches. In some cases the transformation in colour happens over the entire dorsal area.

An Axanthic essentially lacks yellow pigmentation.

mistymtn. Most WA BHPs are naturally black and white, kind of a locale colour phase. Axanthics however are a recessive genetic mutation, the same basis as albinos; hets produced from an axanthic to normal pairing..

I don't get it.. If WAs are naturally black and white, then whats the difference between them and Axanthics besides the price tag i'm guessing =p you still ending up with a black and white bhp either way.. *shrug*.. Does Axanthic have more possibility for morphs or something?

I don't get it.. If WAs are naturally black and white, then whats the difference between them and Axanthics besides the price tag i'm guessing =p you still ending up with a black and white bhp either way.. *shrug*.. Does Axanthic have more possibility for morphs or something?

Although WA B&Ws are naturaly B&W when young, most go cream and have yellow in them as they muture. Also WA BHPs max out at 5 to 6 foot long.

An Axanthic is pure B&W (Zero cream/yellow pigmentation in their skin)
They are also a Qld python and will grow up and over 9 to 10 foot.

Axanthic is a mild form of Albinoisum.
WAs do have some yellow in them.

Mild form of albino or just a mutation that is the same but covers a differnt pigment?
Albino lacks black pigment (melanin)
Axanthic lacks yellow pigment (xanthic?)

I should have elaborated more on the black and white example. As Andy said, WA BHPs vary in their general colouration, Axanthics are quite different. Both are Awesome animals in themselves, both are impressive for different reasons.

..:eek:...
Den!
Lol, that photo on the sand had me drooling..:|
Thanks for sharing pictures everyone!
Ben.

calico's and others

l think they are great....but l am suspicious after a couple of blood tests there are hepatic discrepencies [indifferences] in the haemotology in these lines...so l believe its possible at this stage its a genetic liver condition basically...[not that this is a bad criteria] a genetic trait none the less [imo]....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

l think they are great....but l am suspicious after a couple of blood tests there are hepatic discrepencies [indifferences] in the haemotology in these lines...so l believe its possible at this stage its a genetic liver condition basically...[not that this is a bad criteria] a genetic trait none the less [imo]....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

I've heard a few similar things B, another theory is that it's a deficiency in the thyroid that causes the unexplained change. Or it could be a genetic mutation, the F1 back cross will explain more...Will take time though. We have proven the trait to be genetically inheritable... At the end of the day all morphs are essentially deficient in something whether it be no melanin or reduced colour in the pigment.

Last edited:
Mild form of albino or just a mutation that is the same but covers a differnt pigment?
Albino lacks black pigment (melanin)
Axanthic lacks yellow pigment (xanthic?)

I know it covers a differant pigment, I was trying to explain it to someone that isnt in the 5% of AP&S members that has studdied genetics.

Albino and Xanthic / Axanthic are both mutations that affect skin pigmentation.
Just affecting differant colors.

I said ''Mild form of Albinoisum",
To point out that it is a genetic mutation and not just a local coloring as in the WA BHPs.

I fail to see how axanthic animals can only be from one locality (well qld as a whole). If it's got no yellow what so ever then it's axanthic, before the whole axanthic gene became apparent and started fetching more money people had axanthic animals and didn't even know.

Do all calico's become less patterned and lighter coloured animals? Or can they become less patterned and darker coloured animals also?
The bhp's dont seem to have a scatterwd or distorted pattern like other calicos of different species.

I fail to see how axanthic animals can only be from one locality (well qld as a whole). If it's got no yellow what so ever then it's axanthic, before the whole axanthic gene became apparent and started fetching more money people had axanthic animals and didn't even know.

No mate, Axanthics have no preference for locale, Andy just said QLD as an example to differentiate between his QLD Axanthics and WA animals. Axanthic is a descriptive name given to a genetic mutation affecting yellow pigment. There may well be Axanthic animals in the wild but you mustn't confuse a proven genetic trait with simple grey coloured locale colour phases..... Axanthics are snakes with a recessive gene that inhibits the production of yellow pigments, not a simple colour phase.... They follow the same recessive breeding 'rules' as Albinos (non-visual hets).

I know the genetics of an axanthic and I'm still standing by there being many more around then people think, before they were regaurded as more money they were nothing special, still arent, post a nice looking adult and I'll be suprised, I've seen a few adults in the flesh and their babies are the most stunning bhp you could buy but the adults are gross.

Do all calico's become less patterned and lighter coloured animals? Or can they become less patterned and darker coloured animals also?
The bhp's dont seem to have a scatterwd or distorted pattern like other calicos of different species.

The patterns aren't altered in any way, only the pigment colour changes. I have never seen a light coloured animal turn 'darker' due to a 'calico' colour change. At a guess It's some sort of absence of melanin or dark pigment that happens around the age of sexual maturity. Maybe hormonal...

I use the term 'calico' loosely, to me these animals are totally different to other 'bred calico' animals. When the cause or full genetics are known maybe the name can be revised by the people that own them..

I know the genetics of an axanthic and I'm still standing by there being many more around then people think, before they were regaurded as more money they were nothing special, still arent, post a nice looking adult and I'll be suprised, I've seen a few adults in the flesh and their babies are the most stunning bhp you could buy but the adults are gross.

Yeah matey, there very well could be more around. There could be more of any morph around than people think. Once again though, locale colour phases shouldn't be confused with a genetic abnormality. An abnormality that is easily duplicated with Homozygous or Heterozygous pairings.

I do have pics of impressive adults here but I won't post them on another’s behalf. To be perfectly honest I don't think he will bother posting just to satisfy your reservations... A waste of his time I'm sure...

Not sure why I'm having this discussion??

Den. Do you think as time progresses your bhp's will almost become patternless? or do you think they will hold the current pattern?

Oh sorry, I'm not an experianced bhp breeder, I must've confused the "axanthics" with gross grey animals. Axanthics are only good now becuase they're worth more. Surely people don't actualy think a snake with severaly shades of discusting grey is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back