Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've searched for related threads on here but couldn't come across anything so forgive me if it's been asked 1,000 times before. It's probably a very stupid question, so I guess it's appropriate that I ask it then :)

Whenever I see a beardie I'm buggered if I can tell the difference between an Eastern and a Central, can anyone give me any pointers for telling the difference? Is it mainly a colour and location difference which gives it a total separate species classification or are there other reasons as well?

Also, are they examples of in middle-nsw where natural crossbreeding of beardies occurs such as with diamonds/coastals? If there isn't really a difference between species are these classified as something else again or it doesn't really matter?

Just looked at my reptile outline and there are like 6 different bearded dragons...would the simplest way to look at it for me is to just think of it as how the whole "Carpet Python" classification works? (ie. bredli, coastal, jungle etc.)

Sorry for the long post :oops:

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,
I am probably WAY off, but the way that I can always tell them apart is that the Easterns (barbata) have sharper/narrower and longer/pointer faced and aren't as brightly coloured as some Centrals (vitticeps).
As for cross breeding - I have NO idea.
And again, I am probably very wrong, but as far as I know, all of the six different bearded dragons are all very different. I don't know all of them off the top of my head, but I know that the Pygmys {or Western} (pogona minor minor) look more to ME like barbatas but they're smaller - hence the Pygmy :D Then there's the Centrals, Easterns, Black Soil (I think that they're quite small too???) and I can't think of any others ATM!! :) My brain is fried. So no, I wouldn't think that it is easier for you to classify them in your mind as all beardies.... You'll pick out the differences sooner or later :)
Sorry for the equally long reply!!
Bex

Tim said:
Also, are they examples of in middle-nsw where natural crossbreeding of beardies occurs such as with diamonds/coastals?

Diamonds and Carpets do not cross breed in the wild. In parts of NSW, such as Port Macquarie you will find Carpet/Diamond intergrades, these are not cross bred from a Carpet Python to a Diamond Python, they are simply the colour form of that area.

I tried to make that sound simple but I don't know if I did a very good job of it. :shock:

Daniel

Eastern beardeds get bigger than vitticeps. They also have larger spikes over their body and their beards are larger and spikier.
I have never heard of them crossbreeding in the wild or captivity where keepers often keep both species together. Many vitticeps are reddish in colour whereas barbata is either gray or pale yellow.
Barbata have a row of spikes on the top of their head which curve backwards. In vitticeps it is straight across the top of the head (just before the neck)

St is correct. In most cases Babarta are bigger than Vitticeps, and also there is a large difference with the way the spines on the back of the necks are patterned. I think Coggers book shows the differences with the spines patterns. Barbarta also have larger body spikes and much bigger beards. However there is another difference that few people ever notice. Barbarta have bright yellow mouths whereas Vitticeps have pinkish mouths.

I have heard of the two species intergrading in the Hay area, so it may commonly occur anywhere the 2 species meet. Also, I have heard the USA breeders have also crossed the 2 species.

What I have noticed with all my barbata is when there mouth is closed at the sides there seems to have a series of white sort of stripes that go from the bottom of the mouth to the top of the mouth. I haven't noticed that with vitticeps.

ozherpconservation said:
Diamonds and Carpets do not cross breed in the wild. In parts of NSW, such as Port Macquarie you will find Carpet/Diamond intergrades, these are not cross bred from a Carpet Python to a Diamond Python, they are simply the colour form of that area.

I tried to make that sound simple but I don't know if I did a very good job of it. :shock:

Daniel

Oh right, my apologies for that then...Another newbie misunderstanding :oops: I just made the assumption that if they're both found in the area and there is something called a carpet/diamond integrade that that's automatically what it would mean...my bad hehe sorry.

Thanks serpenttongue & bigguy for your help as well...Might be looking at getting a beardie soon, think I like the white phased ones although I have no idea about availability of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back