Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

Hi all, I am currently considering getting a pair of scrub pythons, but the g/f is a bit concerned about the size and would prefer a BHP. Just wondering on the pros and cons of each and what are peoples thoughts.

Also what do the scrub pythons eat when they are larger, ie is it chickens and/or rabbits or something else and what is the availabilty of the food like?

thanks

Hmmm, I am a bit biased on my choice, but BHP's for me!!!! Scrubby's are known for a characteristic grumpy attitude (although there are exceptions). BHP's are great animals, usually very amenable to being handled. Love their food, and grow to a relatively large size. And of course, BHP's require a smaller enclosure than adult scrubbies do. Oh and large scrubbies can live of off rabbits comfortably. Just watch out if your dog goes missing. :)

Cheers Rossco.

The "availabilty of the food like?" will just depend on your location.

Might be time to start breeding some Rabbits

Matt

I don't really think there is any contest, BHP's are usually very well behaved, don't get to a huge size and require far less space. Scrubbies are usually complete nutters, can get very big and require a large cage, did I mention they are nutters ?
I knew a bloke in Victoria that had one, when he needed to do anything in it's cage he put on a bike helmet, gloves and jacket, seriously.

well the g/f also wants pet rabbits, could be a winner :mrgreen:

I personally love both species but for different reasons, scrubbys for their intelligence, size and character and BHPs for their colour and docile yet alert nature. There is a fair bit of contrast in their teperaments, and although there are some friendly scrubbies out there, it takes a bit of work to get them that way. On the other hand I have only met a few blackheads that bite, most preffering to "head butt" their percieved threat. They will generally calm down quickly. Remember you will need a much larger enclosure for a scrubby let alone 2, and once they put a bit of size on they will need to take larger meals such as rabbits and the like.

your decision my friend,

regards,
Trent

JP2, you should have a serious think about what you want, two very differnt sp with very differnt needs.

Do the reserch and think carefully about what you realy want out of "a new pair of snakes".

Good luck with your decision

I love my Scrubbies..... I will advise though that while there are some good ones temprement wise the most are grumpy...If you are after something you can cuddle and hold then don't go fir a scrubby but if you want something that keeps you on your toes like a ven does but without the ven then go the scrubbies cause they will give it to you if you give them the chance lol.

I am a BHP girl 100% you cant beat them in my opinion.I am a chicken too I do not mind being bitten but I hate my reaction to it and all the BHP's I have handled I have never felt worried of.
A scrubbie is the snake I am worried of they have scary moods and I have seen them lash out for no reason.
You do not have to listen to me though I just love BHP's :D

I just got a hatchling scrubby 2 weeks ago. My wife nearly burnt my ears off with the talking to i received. Since then it has only bitten me the once, i have gotten her out about every 2 or 3 days. One thing i will say, even as a hatchy thier bite packs a pretty good punch, better than my olives or bredli did at that stage. In the end it is all worth the trouble imo, they are a great looking python and a bit of attitude just adds to the attraction.

Things on the mend with the missus yet Joely? Don't worry mate it is worth it and what is marriage if you can't learn to forgive eachother?
I think scrub pythons are a better looking snake than bhp's and i like their characters, but i wouldn't feel right in keeping them in anything less than a huge enclosure.

We keep both, and breed BHPs.

They are completely different with different needs as da_donkey said.

I wouldn't recommend a scrubby to anyone unless they have a couple of years python experience and have thought very long and hard about how they are going to house it when it's older and larger. You can't tame them, you can free handle them till they are a certain size if you can put up with the biting, but rarely can you trust a 14 foot scrubby. You also need a huge enclosure for them when they are adults. As others have said, they pack a punch from a young age when they bite...and they DO bite. Usually are reasonable when younger but almost always get more aggressive with age. They are also very smart and calculated...much more so than any other species of python in my experience.

IMO this is the one of the only pythons that you can say part of the species is agression.

Thanks for all the help guys im still keen on the scrubby but its sure put the mrs off :lol:

Just how large an enclosure are we talkling for a large scrubby?? The literature seems to vary.

I don't know how much experience you have with snakes etc, personally I prefer the scrubies, I have a pair which I'm hoping to breed this year.
Lots of things come into consideration when looking at getting a scrubby, and more so if you're looking at getting a pair. One of those things is their size and temperament. My male is reasonable, doesn't bite to much but the female, um, how can I put this?? I have a inland taipan and he is known as the Anti Christ. I would much rather handle him than the female scrubby. She is pure evil, and at nearly 9 feet she's starting to get to a size that is a bit difficult to handle without being nailed. And nailed and nailed. God help me when she is 15-18 feet long. A full grown adult with a less that pleasent disposision could take down any children who unfortunatly get in thier way. Possibly an adult as well. This being said, plenty of people keep them, so you just have to keep in mind these snakes can be dangerous and IMO shouldn't be purchased by inexperienced/novice keepers.
As for the enclosure, just think big. And for food, remember, in the wild they can take down small wallabies so lots of rabbits, chickens and anything else they can get down

Thanks elapid68, ive had about 8 years expierence with pythons so I hope i wouldnt be classed as a novice, however not a lot of expierence with the larger pythons.

Roughly how long do they take to hit say the 10 foot mark, if well fed?

Cool, as I said, I don't know how much experience you have, now I know and after 8 years I think we can safely say you're not a novice. :)
My girls is just under 9 foot and she is about 5 years old. She's not power fed, but then again she's not starving either.
My boy is from what I can gather from previous records (ex zoo animal), is about 12years old and and is approx 11 foot long and weighs in at 6.5kgs. I don't have any feed records on him prior to me getting him, so who knows what his food intake was. His records also show his had a few medical problems as a young fella so it's anybodys guess if that affected his growth rate, but he's a health boy now.

Fantastic thread guys!
I too am considering both (1 Scrub and a pair of BHPs), so the lowdown on the Scrub's temprament is really appreciated.

how long is a ball of string. It depends on the amount of food and the snake itself. If you are going to get one then get a male as they are easier to handle. Still not to easy but easier then females. My female killed my male just because she could. They will bite and chew and crap and pee on you like there is no tomorrow. I got hit by a big one once and it was like being king hit by someone with a fist full or knives. Busted me good and then she chewed and chewed some more. I love em lol

Great!! lol

Does that mean keeping a pair together is out of the question?

not neccessarily it is just that in my case I put them together for sometime and she didn't like it so got him. I really do like these guys because they have attitude and will let you know if you are getting complaicent. I am not sure how long you have been keeping but I would say that these animals definately are not for the novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back