big big problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys just thought id tell you incase u all thought i had forgotten i am still waiting to meet with the body corp got the call last week but heard nothing sinse then so who knows maybe they just dont care anymore lol

maybe they thought you'd just agree and give em up without a fight,...

buddy, i live in a similar complex and have been in a similar situation. There are certain requirements that they need to fulfill. For example, as you are the owner, the executive committee have to notify the body corporate company (that is, the managing agents) and they need to, in response notify you of an infringement. Which takes a while. Then, if you choose to, you can ask to call a special general meeting of the body corporate and organise to vote on the issue. Many people will not be able to attend this meeting, so it is best to do as i did and organise to become other owner's proxy votes. Then you can essentially change the charter of the body corporate for your unit (which i assume is under strata title).

Time for the bottom line here. The body corporate has rights, those are to enforce the rules of the block. Those rules do not extend to entering your apartment and removing your property, all they can really do in a situation such as this is issue a fine. Now, as for the argument that you can put forward:

I would suggest that you take to position of the "peaceful enjoyment" article which is present in most body corporates. You can suggest that your posession of these animals affects no one other than yourself, the thinking behind the rule of one domestic animal is that the cat lady might screw up the entire block, or that dogs bark etc.

I have, as the chairperson of the executive of my body corporate, had licenced reptiles (no number limit) added to the pets list for both blocks that i have a unit in.

If worst comes to worst, you could argue that it is part of your business, study or even companion animals (that last one is a little rough, but i've heard it done for multiple dogs with unscrupulous GPs).

Good luck buddy.

My suggestion would be not to upset anyone by being too heavy with what you want.

I am about to face the same situation, my body corporate wants to change the By-Law stating that NO animals can be kept on the premises. I will be attending the meeting to vote on this. I own my place and have been there a year without a problem.

I spoke to the managing agent at my place and they can't reasonably deny you permission to keep pets. If your pets were noisy or smelly or caused some other problem that would give cause but I know herps don't cause any of those problems. If some old lady is scared that is not a reaasonable casue for denial, especially given she has just found out and there have been no problems before. If she is a renter, tell her to move.

By showing that your animals are kept very securely and that there is nothing to worry about you should be able to keep at least some of them. Best bet is to not tell them how many you have but don't lie to them, that will come back to haunt you later.

What ever you do be nice. you want to keep those that make the decision on side. Next best thing is to get on the body corporate, get some residents on side and then change the rule.

I dream of keeping olives, you have a fantastic collection. Assuming all goes well with the nasties on monday (i've got my fingers crossed for you - i'd probably just put them all in her bed and hope she died of a heart attack... no not really... but maybe...) I'd love some of your olive's little ones - when they hatch - especially if you live on the goldie - i'm in brisbane. Also, the fact that you live on the goldie might have something to do with it - they're a bit tight *** there.. Again, good luck..

Or someone bought her a snake and she called it Monty and then mysteriously disappeared when moose went over...

hey guys sorry about the slow replys just been really full on lately had my final meeting they have allowed me to keep a few of my snakes now and are considering the rest i had a pretty good case it went fairly well so more than likely i will be able to keep em all fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back