Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Bad
I meant to write Swan when I wrote Shaw

Yes danny
Thats what that book says
But other books dont include spilota

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else know definitively if a Bredli is or is not a Carpet Python???

as far as i can remember,there was scientific explanations from ASH a few years back,where they said Bredl were no longer classed as carpets

maybe some of the ozzy members can point us in the direction of said papers mate

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't think you were mate.
I'll tell you my reasons - I'm of the opinion that there is enough diversity within the carpet python complex, that there is no need to breed sub-species together, or even different species for that matter. I know it's the done thing in the hobby these days, but I'm having difficulty moving with the times.
I like things the way nature intended, and find it frustrating that people need to completely mix things up before they're happy.
I suppose it a case of each to their own, but I think we should draw the line at breeding different species together.

i hear what your saying dan,but.....

imo its all the mixed genetics,thats brought Carpet Pythons to where they are today in the hobby,look at whats on offer in Europe,USA,UK,etc

imo it's done a lot of good for Carpet Python breeding at the high quality end of the market,that said the average looking and ugly muts are a bit over whelming

as you know i keep pure and morphs so have no issues with any type of keeper mate

imo in general mixing up Carpet Genetics has done a lot of good regards Carpet Keeping over here mate

re nature intended
sorry mate,i'm never going to understsand people saying what " nature intended ",while all the time they're keeping snakes in little wooden boxes

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with disliking MUTS Dan........nature all the way

i totally understand your statement if your in Australia.....

if i lived there i also would NOT want the pure wild stock being poluted with mongerals...

but over here in the UK its different imo,as they do wild Morelia no harm

cheers shaun

Last edited:
as far as i can remember,there was scientific explanations from ASH a few years back,where they said Bredl were no longer classed as carpets

maybe some of the ozzy members can point us in the direction of said papers mate

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

i hear what your saying dan,but.....

imo its all the mixed genetics,thats brought Carpet Pythons to where they are today in the hobby,look at whats on offer in Europe,USA,UK,etc

imo it's done a lot of good for Carpet Python breeding at the high quality end of the market,that said the average looking and ugly muts are a bit over whelming

as you know i keep pure and morphs so have no issues with any type of keeper mate

imo in general mixing up Carpet Genetics has done a lot of good regards Carpet Keeping over here mate

re nature intended
sorry mate,i'm never going to understsand people saying what " nature intended ",while all the time they're keeping snakes in little wooden boxes

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

i totally understand your statement if your in Australia.....

if i lived there i also would NOT want the pure wild stock being poluted with mongerals...

but over here in the UK its different imo,as they do wild Morelia no harm

cheers shaun

See the thing is, I don't find what the USA or Europe has to offer appealing, all those high end morphs just don't do it for me. They really don't.
I do, however, think that some cross breeding has been necessary to keep up the genetic diversity, due to not being able to get any imports for new blood. I just feel like it's been taken to the extremes. You say look where carpets are in the hobby today, but I don't like what's happened to the hobby. Some species of snakes are so far removed from their natural state, we should be ashamed with ourselves, not even mentioning the neurological issues associated with some morphs. It seems that some keepers keep snakes as fashion accessories now. The mentality seems to be, "Look at my shiny, new, multicoloured, 15 gene combo het for a load of nonsense". I just don't get it! What happened to the idea of keeping snakes for the simple reason of enjoying a species for it's behaviour or it natural pattern?
It also seems that some keepers will not be happy until they have produce a luminous snake!
I know you keep both pure and morphs, and I wish I was as lucky as you to keep diamonds. I do, however, consider myself lucky that I'm not caught up in the morph craze.
Cheers

Dan,as In most things, Its all about the BLING!............;)

Dan,as In most things, Its all about the BLING!............;)

for me it's definatly NOT about bling....

its about creating a good looking high quality Carpet Pythons

that said,i hear both you and Dan,there are too many people in the hobby just wanting to have the latest fad...

for the record (dan)
i cannot stand the type of people in the hobby that give it...look at my shiney 15 gene combo snake,i am how ever interested in the genetic side of genetic combinations

also i'm NOT a fan of these folk who produce clutches knowing that the snakes will have health issues

take the Super Zebra...
they are consistantly hatched with spine kinks,breeding these type of Morphs is NOT for me mate

re Diamonds
Dan if i successfully breed my Diamonds,i will make sure you get an affordable pair,hell if she has a big clutch i'll give you a pair mate

if i'm lucky enough to produce,then i would love all my Diamond hatchlings to stay in Scotland mate

cheers shaun

P.S.Longii,sorry for going off topic mate

Last edited:
for me it's definatly NOT about bling....

its about creating a good looking high quality Carpet Pythons

that said,i hear both you and Dan,there are too many people in the hobby just wanting to have the latest fad...

for the record (dan)
i cannot stand the type of people in the hobby that give it...look at my shiney 15 gene combo snake,i am how ever interested in the genetic side of genetic combinations

also i'm NOT a fan of these folk who produce clutches knowing that the snakes will have health issues

take the Super Zebra...
they are consistantly hatched with spine kinks,breeding these type of Morphs is NOT for me mate

re Diamonds
Dan if i successfully breed my Diamonds,i will make sure you get an affordable pair,hell if she has a big clutch i'll give you a pair mate

if i'm lucky enough to produce,then i would love all my Diamond hatchlings to stay in Scotland mate

cheers shaun

P.S.Longii,sorry for going off topic mate

Shaun, I would walk to Fife in my bare feet to take you up on that offer. Seriously though, I wish the best of luck with that.

I suppose we agree on quite a few things; too many people breeding for the wrong reasons or to be part of the fad, breeding knowing of the health issues likely to be associated with the offspring and obviously any future diamonds should be kept in Scotland! (ha)

Anyway, back on topic....

....Morelia bredli - whether it is its own species or not, I say it is, but regardless of what I think, they are brilliant snakes and I wouldn't swap mine for the world.

you won't need to walk in your bare feet Dan.....

folk would think you were a true Fifer if you did that...:D

i'd happily pick you up and run you through to mine,if i produce Diamonds...there would be nothing better than having someone like your good self,see all them lovely hatchy's

my Diamond females a 2008,but she's still pretty small for her age,it will be 2014,2015 before i attempt to breed her (you will be the first to know if they have a lock)

cheers shaun

P.S.my Carpet Python Mentor down in London,is trying his Diamonds for the first time this season,he offered me a free female,if i arrange the courier...life don't get much better than that Dan:lol:

you won't need to walk in your bare feet Dan.....

folk would think you were a true Fifer if you did that...:D

i'd happily pick you up and run you through to mine,if i produce Diamonds...there would be nothing better than having someone like your good self,see all them lovely hatchy's

my Diamond females a 2008,but she's still pretty small for her age,it will be 2014,2015 before i attempt to breed her (you will be the first to know if they have a lock)

cheers shaun

P.S.my Carpet Python Mentor down in London,is trying his Diamonds for the first time this season,he offered me a free female,if i arrange the courier...life don't get much better than that Dan:lol:

That would be brilliant, I'd hate for people to think I'm a true Fifer! haha
I had a look at some of the pictures you have online of your diamonds, they're real beauties Shaun.
I got my first snake in '92, it was a grey rat snake. Since then I have had most of the usual ones (for the UK), but sold the lot before I went overseas. I got my carpet two years ago, my bredli a year ago and I have never been so captivated by a group of snakes, I am completely hooked!!
I wish I had spent more time herping in Australia though, and less time in the pub.

That would be brilliant, I'd hate for people to think I'm a true Fifer! haha
I had a look at some of the pictures you have online of your diamonds, they're real beauties Shaun.
I got my first snake in '92, it was a grey rat snake. Since then I have had most of the usual ones (for the UK), but sold the lot before I went overseas. I got my carpet two years ago, my bredli a year ago and I have never been so captivated by a group of snakes, I am completely hooked!!
I wish I had spent more time herping in Australia though, and less time in the pub.

wow mate,your one lucky guy to have been down under,i would love to have been born in Australia,they have all the good stuff over there

my snake interests started when my dad bought one of my sons a kingsnake,after being tagged on the nose by it,my son gave up on snakes.....

i had to take over and my interest in snakes was created,when i looked in a few books,for a species to keep.....i kept going back to the picture of a Diamond Python...then the Carpet obsession began...!!

cheers shaun

Hey Shauno an Dan.... I live in the heart of Diamond country and I was wondering if u over there have herd if DP Syndrome in your captive snakes is a regularity.... People her tend to keep there diamonds in outside enclosures to stop the risk.... It's a bit hard for me to appreciate keeping a Diamond cause I c them quite regularly turning up here or there.....

Yes Pete, we know of it well. Any Morelia keeper worth their salt should know about it. I am 100% certain Shaun knows of it too.

Hey Shauno an Dan.... I live in the heart of Diamond country and I was wondering if u over there have herd if DP Syndrome in your captive snakes is a regularity.... People her tend to keep there diamonds in outside enclosures to stop the risk.... It's a bit hard for me to appreciate keeping a Diamond cause I c them quite regularly turning up here or there.....

ive read as many,papers,etc, that i can find on DPS mate,its a horrible disease and as far as i am aware there has been nothing like it with ALL other Morelia ?

i do remember on here (i think) a guy was saying,he thought his Coastal had it,but i don't know what the outcome was ?

re my Diamonds
i use 2.0 natural sunlight bulbs and 2.0 natural sunlight fluerescant tubes,with my Diamonds mate

cheers shaun

P.S.any scientific papers,etc,on DPS you can point me in the direction of,would be much appreciated mate ?

I don't think I'd ever not appreciate a diamond just turning up.
You are a lucky man, you need to remember that!!

I think u doing the best as it is.... They don't exactly know so the best u can do is make the most natural conditions.... Good job going there mate.... Ps... I've got to know Dan quiet well as I'm an x pat living the dream over here lol

I don't think I'd ever not appreciate a diamond just turning up.
You are a lucky man, you need to remember that!!

too right mate

you can NEVER have enough Diamonds imo

PETE
you are living in my dream location mate.....

to be able to go for a walk and see beautiful Diamond Pythons...

would be pretty awsome

cheers shaun

ive read as many,papers,etc, that i can find on DPS mate,its a horrible disease and as far as i am aware there has been nothing like it with ALL other Morelia ?

i do remember on here (i think) a guy was saying,he thought his Coastal had it,but i don't know what the outcome was ?

re my Diamonds
i use 2.0 natural sunlight bulbs and 2.0 natural sunlight fluerescant tubes,with my Diamonds mate

cheers shaun

P.S.any scientific papers,etc,on DPS you can point me in the direction of,would be much appreciated mate ?

I have access to the University of Stirling's library. My department is the biological and environmental sciences, so I am able to access many scientific paper on all sorts. I have read most of what they have to offer on carpet pythons but believe it or not, there is nothing at all on DPS.
I'd be interested to read what you've been able to access.

[/B]

I have access to the University of Stirling's library. My department is the biological and environmental sciences, so I am able to access many scientific paper on all sorts. I have read most of what they have to offer on carpet pythons but believe it or not, there is nothing at all on DPS.
I'd be interested to read what you've been able to access.

like you mate ive found nothing really solid on DPS...

Russel Grant speaks briefly about it,in keeping & breeding australian pythons

a few things off the internet by Slip and Shine (if i remember correctly)

barker and barker briefly discuss it,in pythons of the world volume 1 australia (its and old but good out of print book,expensive but i'd recomend getting a 2nd hand copy),but they don't call it DPS,they just describe the symptoms and what age range it usually shows up,they say.....

it will probably occur between 3 and 6 years of age,between the ages of 5 and 7 the snake will most likely die,they go on to say...

there is a strong possibility that the cause of death will be broken bones or tumours,both unusual causes of death for pythons.respiratory illness is also a factor or cause of death.among other things,necropsy will probaly reveal white,flabby muscles and poor calcification of the skeleton

so like you mate,i know what it is and how it manifests itself,but other than the theory,its down to keeping them too hot,or without UVB i know little else

imo its very strange how this problem only seems to affect Diamonds and NO other Morelia

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

I think u doing the best as it is.... They don't exactly know so the best u can do is make the most natural conditions.... Good job going there mate.... Ps... I've got to know Dan quiet well as I'm an x pat living the dream over here lol

so your Scottish and managed to get away from this dreay old place

Kudo's to you mate

cheers shaun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back