Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Kace

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been browsing and searching the forums quite a bit just to gather more general knowledge, but I've assembled a few questions that I'd appreciate direct answers to.

I've always liked snakes but always thought I'd live out my life in NZ, so I just appreciated them from afar and never bothered to learn more about them than 'Ooh, that one's big' or 'Ooh that one's pretty'. Now that I have the chance to realise a dream, I'm freaking out a little bit about the details and decisions.

First, I guess, is the decision of what type to get. I like the size of the black headed python, but realise that it is probably a bit big for a beginner. So as far as beginner suitable snakes go, what are the best options for a decent sized one, with a fairly easy temperament, and a pretty pattern? Priority is in that order. I don't really mind being bitten a few times, but of course, avoiding it would be preferable! Oh yes, terrestrial would also be preferred.
From looking at a recommendations I'm currently thinking that a bredli would be the go-er. Could someone please tell me why I'd be stupid to jump in with a black headed or jungle carpet python as my first snake?

I've noticed that people here seem strongly inclined to point people towards breeders over pet shops. Two pet stores in Melbourne have my interest. The one by QV markets and the one in Ballarat (pails for scales?). Would they be ok?
And I use public transport, so if I had to train/bus to Ballarat, is there anything I should know about transporting a newly acquired snake on the train or bus? Like primarily, is it allowed??

Finally (for now) could anyone give me a ball park figure on what I'm going to need to save up to set myself up from scratch? And recommend a good book that would give me all the basics and help required by a newbie?

Any info will be much appreciated! :)

JK

Bhp's are a great first snake just make sure you get one with good temperment and feeding. My little black headed is such treasure to own. also they can get big and pricey but if that aint a problem then i highly recomend them. jungles look great but can be really snappy, but thats only my experience with them. most snakes with time will get used to handling and settle down with temperments as most hatchling are snappy.

Size doesnt really matter as if you are to get a snake as a hatchie or even yearling. It wont really matter as by the time it has reached a large size, you would be quite familar with handling and all the husbandry techniques.

The main concern with size that you should be worried about is do you have the room for a fully grown BHP etc. So as long as you can house an adult then there is no issue. It will take a few years for it to reach this size and you will be well versed by then

As far as funds go.

I just set up an enclosure for about $100. That is a 700w x 700h x 600d enclosure. Obviously that was building myself.

It is just a matter of looking around and seeing what sorts of deals you can get.

However, if a black head is what you want and you have the funds to get one, then dont go skimping on the enclosure. Remember that snakes arent a novelty item, nor are the domestic animals like cats and dogs, and thus they require different husbandry and care. So spend the money on ensureing all this.

As far as a book is concerned. I would say Weigels book Care of australian reptiles in captivity is probably a great place to start. It is only $28 and has considerable information on reptiles in general.

Hope that helps
D

Breeders are better then pet stores as they are cheaper and most of the time you will get a better animal. as for books ( care of australian reptiles in captivity) is the best book IMO to own as it has everything from set up to tips on feeding and everything else.

can sell you a pair of breeding diamonds if you want
and i'll even throw in 2 cages.
good handlers and eat well. :lol: :lol:

Awesome guys, thank you very much. That's pretty much made up my mind on the BHP then! :)

Mr Sloth, is the enclosure you just made wooden on 4 sides with a glass front and what on top? I guess if I google for snake enclosures I should get some good ideas eh? Would an enclosure about 2m x 1.5m x ??? deep be ok for the BHP? Would it be ok for it to start out in that? Is there such a thing as a too big house for a snake? Money wont be a problem. I'm not afraid to spend what is required to set up properly.

JK

Yeah the one i made was all from wood. with wooden/ glass door

I personally dont believe that you can have an enclosure too big. So long as there is a good thermal gradient and the snake can hind throughout the enclosure then size doesnt matter.

Cheers
D

depending on wether you are getting a hatchling, yearling or adult snake. a hatchling bhp is better off in a click-clack for the first 6 to 12 months roughly around 1.5feet long x .5feet wide as baby snakes dont like big spaces which could lead to feeding problems. But if you get one around a year old or older then a 2m eclosure will be great. make sure you have a heat sorce set up to a thermostat so you can keep a good gradient in the enclosure. 32 in hot end and around 26 in cooler end will be good. keep the water bowl in the cooler end so you dont create high humidity. any other questions then fire away.

Always plenty of enclosures for sale on this site, new and second hand. Auslizardking always has some for sale amongst others. Put it this way, if u cant find anything on this site then it's not worth finding. I've had all my questions answered thus far and as far as equipment is concerned that shouldn't be a problem either.

Good luck with your projects.

Mrs Mac, going to have to totally disagree with you on that one . Not having a go, but how do you know what a snake likes. If you have a small snake in a small enclosure, the first problem that you have is thermal gradients. Small enclosures dont produce thermal gradients.

If you put a heat mat under a click clack, that isnt a thermal gradient. All you have done is heated the base of the click clack.

I have kept all hatchies and yearlings in decent sized enclosures right from the start. The only time that they ever go into small enclosures like click clacks etc is to hold them while i am doing something, cleaning etc.

So Mrs Mac, going against your grain on that one. Put a small snake in a large enclosure, and provide plenty of hides, and you wont have any issues.

Cheers
D

get hold of the lastest reptile mag,they road test all the puthons and rate them on handling,feeding,ect that will help you alot

Thats cool i understand where your coming from and i agree with you too. I had mlak mlak in a big cage from the get go but the vet told me to put him into somehting smaller because of his feeding problem but i dont think its helping at all and will be putting him back in his original enclosure. I reckon you can tell what a snake likes as to how active they are in there enclosure say if it always stayed in a hide then it might feel insecure as aposed to activly moving around a lot. but one can never really know i guess. i have also read a lot on this site about putting hatchlings in click-clacks........

Going to have to go against you on that one Sloth Head. Hatchlings should be kept in click clacks. Easier to keep maintain and monitor. Once they are of Juvie size I usually place the click clack inside of there larger enclosure with the lid off of the click clack to adjust to there new surroundings. JMO, but have a read of the WIKI at the top of the page and take a look in newbie Q's. There is some good Info (or there was) for newbies starting out in there.

Everyone has there own way of doing things and i'm not saying any of them are wrong, but be carefull what information you use.

Totally agree with you Mayo, it is far easier to monitor a hatchy in a click clack, cause they cann't go anywhere. But that doesnt make it right. Do an experiment, see what thermal gradients can be achieved in a click clack.

Ultimately it doesnt bother me what you do, as it is your animal. But read widely, test and adjust.

There is no point reading the bible if you want to learn about Buddah, it is a little bias :p

Cheers
D

I use a larger Click Clack with a small heat mat at one end with a small terra Cotta pot over that point, at the other end I drill a lot of holes( And I mean a lot approx 1 every inch). and put a terra cotta pot at the cool end. Line the bottom with paper towel and then tear up /scrunch up some news paper for the hatchie to work his way through. I manage to get a good thermal gradient and give the little guy plenty of cover, and 2 major hides. That's the way I have always done it and it has worked for me.

Yeah larger ones will work fine. I was mainly refering to the small ones.
I dont use anything under 12l.
But yeah i am with you. i use the 40 and 60L and the 128l for hospital cages and quarantine.

One thing that took me ages to work out was how to drill the holes without cracking everything. Then i worked it out, that clear book contact works a treat, or just packing tape.

Too right on the scrunched newspaper. They love getting in that. Kind of amusing really.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back